Will you be watching series 11?

Will you be watching series 11?

Yup
48
40%
Yup, but pretending not to.
6
5%
Yup, I wasn’t but I’m too curious.
7
6%
No, but I’m willing to be swayed by peer reviews.
8
7%
No. No interest.
50
42%
 
Total votes: 119
User avatar
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security
Posts: 9476
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

thecypher wrote:Remember the silent majority. I'm almost certain they've stopped watching.
Given the results I’m starting to think it’s the noisy minority.

I would have thought the poll would have been more in the no territory given all the noise since Jodie was announced.

Hmm.

Judging by the small sample it would appear most don’t care.
User avatar
nosfer2
 
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 pm
Contact:

Of course I'll watch. It's my favourite TV show, and I'm willing to give it a go. If it's not up to scratch I'll say so, just as I did with the later Matt Smith stories and the early Capaldi stories.
User avatar
thecypher
 
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:50 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Servorobot wrote:
thecypher wrote:Remember the silent majority. I'm almost certain they've stopped watching.
Given the results I’m starting to think it’s the noisy minority.

I would have thought the poll would have been more in the no territory given all the noise since Jodie was announced.

Hmm.

Judging by the small sample it would appear most don’t care.
I was speaking in general. As far as I'm aware, this forum doesn't have a 1922 committee :lol:
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
ericthehalfabee
 
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 pm

thecypher wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
thecypher wrote:Remember the silent majority. I'm almost certain they've stopped watching.
Given the results I’m starting to think it’s the noisy minority.

I would have thought the poll would have been more in the no territory given all the noise since Jodie was announced.

Hmm.

Judging by the small sample it would appear most don’t care.
I was speaking in general. As far as I'm aware, this forum doesn't have a 1922 committee :lol:
You haven’t seen the mods’ room :lol:
User avatar
Nyder's Genesis
 
 
Posts: 1127
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

I'll watch as I don't want to judge it until after I've seen a few episodes. I have nearly given up on the show on two previous occasions in 1979 and 1987. I have a nasty feeling 2018 will finally finish me off.
Thankyou. That's what I wanted to know.
User avatar
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:25 pm
Contact:

LizR wrote:
iank wrote:There are other things to watch beside this one show. :D
Lots of great TV is still being made, which is why the "if you don't like it you're too old, this is the 21st century*" mantra doesn't work.

*to quote "Thunderbirds" :)

Absolutely. Modern TV is pretty good. Some excellent drama on offer at the moment. We have quite a lot still to watch. Some going back over a year. I cannot waste my time on Dr Who now really when there is so much other stuff to watch. I didn't like the Capaldi stuff and this new run fills me with total disinterest.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
User avatar
thecypher
 
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:50 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
LizR wrote:
iank wrote:There are other things to watch beside this one show. :D
Lots of great TV is still being made, which is why the "if you don't like it you're too old, this is the 21st century*" mantra doesn't work.

*to quote "Thunderbirds" :)

Absolutely. Modern TV is pretty good. Some excellent drama on offer at the moment. We have quite a lot still to watch. Some going back over a year. I cannot waste my time on Dr Who now really when there is so much other stuff to watch. I didn't like the Capaldi stuff and this new run fills me with total disinterest.
Really? I think modern stuff is pretty rubbish. Even the 2018 Big Finish stuff leaves a lot to be desired. I find myself watching TNG, more often than not.
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
User avatar
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:25 pm
Contact:

thecypher wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:
LizR wrote:
iank wrote:There are other things to watch beside this one show. :D
Lots of great TV is still being made, which is why the "if you don't like it you're too old, this is the 21st century*" mantra doesn't work.

*to quote "Thunderbirds" :)

Absolutely. Modern TV is pretty good. Some excellent drama on offer at the moment. We have quite a lot still to watch. Some going back over a year. I cannot waste my time on Dr Who now really when there is so much other stuff to watch. I didn't like the Capaldi stuff and this new run fills me with total disinterest.
Really? I think modern stuff is pretty rubbish. Even the 2018 Big Finish stuff leaves a lot to be desired. I find myself watching TNG, more often than not.
Modern TV in general I like. There have been some decent dramas and other formats.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
User avatar
iank
 
 
Posts: 6085
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am
Contact:

thecypher wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:
LizR wrote:
iank wrote:There are other things to watch beside this one show. :D
Lots of great TV is still being made, which is why the "if you don't like it you're too old, this is the 21st century*" mantra doesn't work.

*to quote "Thunderbirds" :)

Absolutely. Modern TV is pretty good. Some excellent drama on offer at the moment. We have quite a lot still to watch. Some going back over a year. I cannot waste my time on Dr Who now really when there is so much other stuff to watch. I didn't like the Capaldi stuff and this new run fills me with total disinterest.
Really? I think modern stuff is pretty rubbish. Even the 2018 Big Finish stuff leaves a lot to be desired. I find myself watching TNG, more often than not.
There is still some good stuff, like Elementary, but it is harder to find these days. There's so many cable/streaming services doing their own things I haven't even heard of half of them.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Polly
 
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:02 am
Contact:

Was utterly gutted when Whitaker was announced but my other half has persuaded me to watch it thinking of it not as Dr Who but just as another random programme to at least give it the benefit of the doubt for an episode or two. I kind of reconciled myself to that, as much for family harmony as anything, until I saw my first trailer yesterday. I know this is going to sound weird but I clenched my teeth and my gut, kinda squinted through half closed eyes and the world didn’t cave in .... until ..... I heard her speak. Random I know but that was the absolute killer moment.... that voice just destroyed a 45 year indulgence. Yes I’ll still watch the first one , too curious not to, and I dearly hope I make it to the end but I can see it being a challenge. On a different note, for different reasons, was miffed with Bradley walsch’s casting too...not against male companions or older ones at that but far too recognisable....have always loved it when they’ve been someone obscure I’ve never seen before, so much more believable. Oh well, a week to go... if all else fails I’ll carry on with my marathon watching every episode, animation, recon, audio etc from the beginning. Caves of androzani is up next.... rattle through Colin and sylvester and I can dig in with some good 60s and pertwee in front of the log burner for the winter.
Will be thinking of you all next Sunday. Polly xx
User avatar
Hartnell's Wig
 
 
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:13 pm
Contact:

No interest at all in the PC sh*te, but I was less than overjoyed when Chibnall got the job anyway. Forget one half decent series of Broadchurch, he wrote some appalling Torchwood and Doctor Who.

Then you have the box ticking casting for the new series and the gimmick lead actress (I refuse to use the word actor for a female - little victories) and it's just not for me.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20584
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Still neck and neck I see.

By the way what did Jodie call Chibnall on GN? Chibbsy or something - whatever it was, I remember thinking it should be his new nickname.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Contact:

Again, too long in the tooth to accept a female Doctor, too long in the tooth to stop watching now. I'll always watch Doctor Who. Done it since 1965, am a fan, and will always be too inquisitive to see what's happening.

I'm totally opposed to the female Doctor simply because I see it as a male character. It was written and created as such. He was a grandFATHER. Added to that it's been that way for 50+ years so it becomes tokenism in my mind. Have not a jot against a female lead in anything else, be it brand new or a spin-off, or even for a while in the actual show (yep the old zzz inducing Romana taking over thing). I mean, Clara virtually did that already (which of course was wrong in her case).

So while I'll be taking in a nice shiny new season, the basic problem will always be in the way. 50 odd years of canon swept away for people who are either not bothered enough to watch it, or for those who don't care either way. The rest of us who are don't matter. And it's unrepairable unless a future person in charge does the old Dallas waking up in the shower trick! Just a terrible dream! If only. I wonder what attracted these people to Doctor Who that they want to 'improve' it so much. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that all we ever needed was the Classic Series with today's sfx and production values.

Then there's the new showrunner, who's moral compass seems to be all over the place with his track record so far, considering he wants the kids on board. Most of his ideas come from someone or somewhere else. In his episodes and ideas for Who generally INCLUDING female Doctor. Tom and JNT's joke with the press? Newman's proposal to Grade? The press, banging on about it ever since that joke?

And now we have Bradley Walsh's character. The only thing I'm looking forward to. I read he's someone's dad, and will carry much of the humour. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship anyone? Not even Daleks for Christmas can make any of this better. The latest news in fact suggests that's gone too now with talk of New Years Day instead.

My take is has already been said. Like watching a new show altogether, at best a remake. Doctor Who in name only.
ericthehalfabee
 
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 pm

34:30 with the ayes a nose in front.

Worrying :?
User avatar
iank
 
 
Posts: 6085
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am
Contact:

paulhickling wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that all we ever needed was the Classic Series with today's sfx and production values.
In 2005 I assumed that was the entire point of the enterprise.

How foolish/naive of me. :roll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Contact:

iank wrote:
paulhickling wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that all we ever needed was the Classic Series with today's sfx and production values.
In 2005 I assumed that was the entire point of the enterprise.

How foolish/naive of me. :roll:
Maybe there's a future showrunner waiting for the day when he or she can reverse it back to exactly that. Solid storytelling, with the adventure centre stage, companions that stay aboard the Tardis for their whole time in the series, but with nice shiny fx and production values. A genuine fan who looks at the older style as something that ain't broken, and never needed fixing. One can live in hope (and I don't mean the village in Derbyshire...etc).
User avatar
'teleportNOW!'
 
 
Posts: 5967
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

If I can watch season 24 and Love & Monsters then I can watch anything.
(Although I admit I did start checking my phone in the middle of that Frankie Cottrel-Boyce one about magic trees appearing all over London or whatever the fck...)
User avatar
Tuggster
 
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: Salisbury
Contact:

Would rather cut off my left nut, Myself and Mrs Tugg always watch Criminal minds that we have recorded on a Sunday evening, and that certainly is not going to change.

BTW R.I.P Geoffrey Hayes
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Tuxfordman
 
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:07 pm
Contact:

Yes I can't judge it until I've seen it.
There is so little information on it
that at least the stories will a surprise
for a change as in the old days (1960s/1970s).
User avatar
Caligari71
 
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:28 am
Contact:

I confess I struggled through the last three series of the show, watching pretty much every episode of the first two of those, but have never felt the need to revisit them for a second viewing. I largely stopped watching when the Husbands of River Song Christmas 'Special' was announced and have seen only a couple of episodes since. I gave the programme more time than it deserved over that period, and that was only out of a sense of loyalty to what it was, not what it had become.

The current series won't be a new start, but is instead the apotheosis of the last three years. It doesn't offer me anything that I recognise as Doctor Who, isn't aimed at an audience containing people like me (and I like to think that I'm a reasonably PC brigade minded guy) and I have far too many other demands on my time to watch.

New Who should have been 70's / 80's Who with better special effects and production values; it isn't anything like that and has become progressively more distant from the original source and consequently from large parts of it's potential audience too. Hardly a surprise that viewing figures are draining away. We've yet to see if this last throw of the dice will change it's fortunes, but it's such a divisive choice I can't imagine it will help. In any case, I'm done and I doubt I'm alone.
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 11”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests