Deadwood (2004)

Re: Deadwood

Postby JustGareth » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:14 am

Oops! The photo I previously posted of Swearengen is actually Sol Star; sorry about that! (I thought he seemed a bit too mild-looking... :? ). Caught my mistake while browsing the following website, which lists quite a number of real-life characters who appeared on the show: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-deadwoodhbo.html.

No visual record of Swearengen exists, apparently. But as compensation, here's a photo of the Gem:

"So I guess this is just how things are going to work now: the president once saw a banana with a bruise that looked like a picture in an article he read in a dream, and that is why we're at f*****g war..." John Oliver
JustGareth

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby shuzbot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:51 am

ericthehalfabee wrote:This is one of the best TV shows I have watched. So rich and entertaining from start to finish. I was absolutely gutted when it stopped. :cry:

But is it Who canon?

After having a bit of a think about it, I would say it depends on the narrator so who narrates Doctor Who or in particular who narrates the serial 'The Gunfighters'? If it's a silent limited third person narrator personified by the camera itself in both cases then we probably can't tell.

The again people imply intertextual references between multiple bodies of non-canonical and stand alone fiction so in a sense perhaps all fiction is canonical?
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Ginger Cat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Bit of an update on that Deadwood movie thang.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/dead ... de-updates
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby shuzbot » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Cool. I know Eric will be pleased :P
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Servorobot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:11 pm

I know the complete series of Deadwood on bluray is in my "unwatched" pile.

I bought 'cos it was cheap and because it came highly recommended by Young Halfabee (and also because I had watched the odd episode). ;)
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:57 am

I see they're on about that Deadwood movie again, this time saying it might start production next year (then again, it might not. :P)

https://www.avclub.com/the-deadwood-mov ... 1820381858
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Looks like that Deadwood movie is finally happening then.

‘Deadwood’ Movie Gets Greenlight at HBO
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:07 am

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby shuzbot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:52 pm

Anyone seen the trailer?

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 pm

shuzbot wrote:Anyone seen the trailer?

Yahoooooooooo! :D
ericthehalfabee

Postby ericthehalfabee » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:46 pm

New trailer!

Boy I'm ready for this... it's been too long.

ericthehalfabee

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:07 am

I've bought this on bluray to save a bit of space and given away the chunky DVD set I had... beautiful as it was.

And I'm rewatching. 3 episodes down and enjoying it more than ever. I've never seen a TV show with dialogue as beautifully written as in this - it's poetic, to include the swearing.

If you've never watched it - I recommend it. It's one of my top 5 TV shows I reckon.
ericthehalfabee

Postby LizR » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:37 pm

I'm kind of put of by the inauthentic swearing, assuming what I've heard about it is correct, at least - is this really the Western equivalent of "Shakespeare in modern dress" ? I generally find modern people / attitudes put into a historical setting and / or obvious anachronisms hard to ignore ("Endeavour" has this problem to some extent).
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:41 pm

LizR wrote:I'm kind of put of by the inauthentic swearing, assuming what I've heard about it is correct, at least - is this really the Western equivalent of "Shakespeare in modern dress" ? I generally find modern people / attitudes put into a historical setting and / or obvious anachronisms hard to ignore ("Endeavour" has this problem to some extent).

It’s undoubtedly anachronistic- but it’s so well written (all the speech), as I said - poetic, that it’s just a pleasure to listen to. For me anyway.

The Scott Joplin score in The Sting is completely anachronistic, but the artistic license works and works wonderfully. I feel the same way here.
ericthehalfabee

Re: Deadwood (2004)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat May 11, 2019 6:19 pm

HBO has uploaded a new featurette for HBO‘s forthcoming “Deadwood: The Movie” featuring the original cast talking about returning for the acclaimed western series after thirteen years.

In the special,
Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011
Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Kim Dickens, Brad Dourif, John Hawkes, Molly Parker along with almost all the original cast who are back for the project which airs May 31st.

Deadwood: The Movie (2019): Behind the Scenes | Invitation to the Set | HBO

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Deadwood (2004)

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Tue May 14, 2019 9:13 pm

They've waited too long. That's my worry with this, as a huge fan of the series.

I'll probably be buying the new Blu-ray set, if there is one, as the current UK set has issues with sync and scant extras.

I don't get Sky Atlantic, so I'll have to buy it to see it. The bast*rds had better put it out on disc.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Previous

Return to War, Westerns And Historicals