Deadwood (2004)

JustGareth

Oops! The photo I previously posted of Swearengen is actually Sol Star; sorry about that! (I thought he seemed a bit too mild-looking... :? ). Caught my mistake while browsing the following website, which lists quite a number of real-life characters who appeared on the show: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-deadwoodhbo.html.

No visual record of Swearengen exists, apparently. But as compensation, here's a photo of the Gem:
"So I guess this is just how things are going to work now: the president once saw a banana with a bruise that looked like a picture in an article he read in a dream, and that is why we're at f*****g war..." John Oliver
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

ericthehalfabee wrote:This is one of the best TV shows I have watched. So rich and entertaining from start to finish. I was absolutely gutted when it stopped. :cry:

But is it Who canon?

After having a bit of a think about it, I would say it depends on the narrator so who narrates Doctor Who or in particular who narrates the serial 'The Gunfighters'? If it's a silent limited third person narrator personified by the camera itself in both cases then we probably can't tell.

The again people imply intertextual references between multiple bodies of non-canonical and stand alone fiction so in a sense perhaps all fiction is canonical?
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bit of an update on that Deadwood movie thang.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/dead ... de-updates
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Cool. I know Eric will be pleased :P
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

I know the complete series of Deadwood on bluray is in my "unwatched" pile.

I bought 'cos it was cheap and because it came highly recommended by Young Halfabee (and also because I had watched the odd episode). ;)
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I see they're on about that Deadwood movie again, this time saying it might start production next year (then again, it might not. :P)

https://www.avclub.com/the-deadwood-mov ... 1820381858
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Looks like that Deadwood movie is finally happening then.

‘Deadwood’ Movie Gets Greenlight at HBO
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Anyone seen the trailer?

ericthehalfabee

shuzbot wrote:Anyone seen the trailer?

Yahoooooooooo! :D
ericthehalfabee

New trailer!

Boy I'm ready for this... it's been too long.

ericthehalfabee

I've bought this on bluray to save a bit of space and given away the chunky DVD set I had... beautiful as it was.

And I'm rewatching. 3 episodes down and enjoying it more than ever. I've never seen a TV show with dialogue as beautifully written as in this - it's poetic, to include the swearing.

If you've never watched it - I recommend it. It's one of my top 5 TV shows I reckon.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I'm kind of put of by the inauthentic swearing, assuming what I've heard about it is correct, at least - is this really the Western equivalent of "Shakespeare in modern dress" ? I generally find modern people / attitudes put into a historical setting and / or obvious anachronisms hard to ignore ("Endeavour" has this problem to some extent).
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
ericthehalfabee

LizR wrote:I'm kind of put of by the inauthentic swearing, assuming what I've heard about it is correct, at least - is this really the Western equivalent of "Shakespeare in modern dress" ? I generally find modern people / attitudes put into a historical setting and / or obvious anachronisms hard to ignore ("Endeavour" has this problem to some extent).
It’s undoubtedly anachronistic- but it’s so well written (all the speech), as I said - poetic, that it’s just a pleasure to listen to. For me anyway.

The Scott Joplin score in The Sting is completely anachronistic, but the artistic license works and works wonderfully. I feel the same way here.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

HBO has uploaded a new featurette for HBO‘s forthcoming “Deadwood: The Movie” featuring the original cast talking about returning for the acclaimed western series after thirteen years.

In the special,the characters of the show are reunited after a decade to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds reopened as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought. The story also picks up threads of the third season finale – the return of an even more powerful George Hearst gets everyone riled up. Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Kim Dickens, Brad Dourif, John Hawkes, Molly Parker along with almost all the original cast who are back for the project which airs May 31st.

Deadwood: The Movie (2019): Behind the Scenes | Invitation to the Set | HBO

Hartnell's Wig

They've waited too long. That's my worry with this, as a huge fan of the series.

I'll probably be buying the new Blu-ray set, if there is one, as the current UK set has issues with sync and scant extras.

I don't get Sky Atlantic, so I'll have to buy it to see it. The bast*rds had better put it out on disc.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

Return to “War, Westerns And Historicals”

• Information