The Great War - BBC (1964)

The Great War - BBC (1964)

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sat May 11, 2019 7:01 pm

I think this is my favourite documentary series of all time.

Michael Redgrave narrates a history of the Great War, with many hours of interviews with veterans (and civilians) who at that point were in early old age. Also with Ralph Richardson, Marius Goring and others voicing the key players.

It was repeated on BBC4 a few years ago and the interviews were cleaned up and put on iplayer for the 2014 centenary. The interviews were also used for Peter Jackson's recent documentary movie.

The style of narration, rostrum photography, archival footage and interviews is very much the main influence in the production style on the much more celebrated World at War. But the latter is a little bit more sophisticated in its production, but not much. The writing and therefore the narration is superb - and it's a little more poetic and florid than The World at War.

I cannot recommend this highly enough both as an historical document and as a BBC production. However, it's always out of print. Second hand copies start from around the £50 mark. It is however on youtube!

The only slight issue is that it ends very abruptly with victory for the allies. This is because there was a follow-up series called "The Lost Peace", which covers the inter-war years and sits gathering dust in the BBC archive. It's never been re-broadcast and never had a commercial release. I have written to a lot of people trying to get them to release it. I don't think I'll ever get to see it and quite simply, missing DW episodes included, it's the TV show I most want to see.
ericthehalfabee

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: The Great War - BBC (1964)

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sat May 11, 2019 7:03 pm

There also used to be a "making of" on youtube somewhere, but I can't find it. :(
ericthehalfabee

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 pm

I could never afford to buy this on DVD but luckily the Daily Mail gave away the complete set and you can often find these sitting around in charity shop freebie bins. I got the complete set that way (but obviously gave a donation for the discs).

Well worth it.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sun May 12, 2019 10:02 pm

Hartnell's Wig wrote:I could never afford to buy this on DVD but luckily the Daily Mail gave away the complete set and you can often find these sitting around in charity shop freebie bins. I got the complete set that way (but obviously gave a donation for the discs).

Well worth it.

You have impeccable taste.
ericthehalfabee

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Mon May 13, 2019 12:36 am

ericthehalfabee wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:I could never afford to buy this on DVD but luckily the Daily Mail gave away the complete set and you can often find these sitting around in charity shop freebie bins. I got the complete set that way (but obviously gave a donation for the discs).

Well worth it.

You have impeccable taste.

As my collection of Robin Askwith tits and arse films clearly demonstrates :D

(I don't really have any of those films. Honest)
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Return to War, Westerns And Historicals