Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Heccypoo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:16 pm

The Nimon wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:And yet, he persists in doing so...

I know. He's like the Eddie The Eagle of the Doctor Who world. We all stand there cheering him on hoping he will come out with something great, all the time knowing he's going to fall flat on his face within seconds.

tony ingram wrote:....and most people (outside a few disgruntled fans on forums) seem to like it.

Pot and Kettle much. ;)

I think the public love both RTD and Moffat stories myself.

I don't think the public really care who writes it...
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby The Nimon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Heccypoo wrote:
I don't think the public really care who writes it...

A very good point, that's what separates us from them LOL
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby LizR » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:59 am

Ah, the Muggles...
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Postby Heccypoo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:47 pm

I went to see the Doctor Who live show in 2010,

Though I tend to hate the writing of Moffat and RTD, seeing the kids faces as Cybermen and other monsters walking amongst them during the show and then hunchbacked Daleks on stage and the Dalek Supreme floating over their heads, you can see the magic of Doctor Who on the young and it doesn't really matter what us 'fans' think.

It was part pantomime, part concert. When you hear about 500 or so kids shout 'Geronimo' for Matt Smith,
you can't help but smile. When you see crowds of kids dressed as the 10th and 11th Doctors you can't help but smile

For me the 10th Doctor is one of the worst. But that doesn't matter. We all have our favourite Doctors.
But every Doctor has or had a child that loved him as their hero.

And it's nice that a positive character like the Doctor, whoever plays him, is someone's hero.
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby paulhickling » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Heccypoo wrote:I went to see the Doctor Who live show in 2010,

Though I tend to hate the writing of Moffat and RTD, seeing the kids faces as Cybermen and other monsters walking amongst them during the show and then hunchbacked Daleks on stage and the Dalek Supreme floating over their heads, you can see the magic of Doctor Who on the young and it doesn't really matter what us 'fans' think.

It was part pantomime, part concert. When you hear about 500 or so kids shout 'Geronimo' for Matt Smith,
you can't help but smile. When you see crowds of kids dressed as the 10th and 11th Doctors you can't help but smile

For me the 10th Doctor is one of the worst. But that doesn't matter. We all have our favourite Doctors.
But every Doctor has or had a child that loved him as their hero.

And it's nice that a positive character like the Doctor, whoever plays him, is someone's hero.

Very nicely put.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Deleted User 5445 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:07 pm

I don't agree with the tenth Doctor being the worst and I think the tenth Doctor broadened the perimeters of how the Doctor could be perhaps a little too much at times though. I'm not saying romance doesn't have a part in the show (although I don't watch it for this) but it could get a bit to much at times with the tenth Doctor.

Personally speaking Matt Smith is my favourite of the new Doctor's because his feels more 'Doctorish' than the other two in my opinion. Also I prefer Steven Moffat as a writer to Russell T Davis and Moffat's time on the show has been much more in tune with what I want to see from the show.
Deleted User 5445

Postby markhuk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:57 am

CamelCamelCamel wrote:
Heccypoo wrote:I blame Moffat :lol:

Now there's something I think we can all agree on :D

And you'd be wrong
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Postby CamelCamelCamel » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:00 pm

So I gather this is one of those forums where you have to qualify every statement with an "in my opinion," "(J/K!)," "/sarcasm," or winking emoticon, then. ;) ;) ;)
CamelCamelCamel

Postby The Krynoid Man » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:20 am

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby LizR » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:55 am

CamelCamelCamel wrote:So I gather this is one of those forums where you have to qualify every statement with an "in my opinion," "(J/K!)," "/sarcasm," or winking emoticon, then. ;) ;) ;)

Well, it probably helps. Except I don't know what "(J/K!)" means (no, I'm just kidding!)
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Postby shuzbot » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:47 pm

tony ingram wrote:
chap with wings wrote:I have to disagree Tony, I think it took it to a whole new level of drama and emotion. The use of metaphor, surrealism & unreliable narrator are excellent techniques adding levels of depth and rewatch ability seldom seen in any TV drama.

Yes, but the whole unreliable narrator thing is largely in the mind of fans who've come up with this theory that what was seen on screen wasn't what was really happening. I got nothing of that from watching the episode and I'm still not convinced. It certainly brought me to a whole new level of emotion, though; I've never hated any episode as much, before or since.

Elton narrates into a camera, the camera doesn't have a point of view to be unreliable about does it? Ergo, Ursula really was a paving slab and did make that comment. Besides, it makes the whole episode a bit pointless if none of it really happened.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby shuzbot » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:36 am

http://thegeeknerdom.com/5-reasons-the- ... octor-who/

5 Reasons the Tenth Doctor Wasn’t All That Incredible:

Don’t get me wrong. I love the Tenth Doctor. I cherish every one of the Doctors. His sole competitor for the number one spot is Tom Baker, who figured out how to be the universally adored Doctor for over three decades. However, that acclaim has constantly puzzled me, particularly as I go back re-watch the series. Ten is great, but is he is truly incredible? I don’t think so and here’s why…..
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby cloudy day » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:53 am

That’s a pretty good summation of Tennant’s Doctor, more or less. I do think he got the best stories. But I didn’t like his sanctimoniousness (especially with Harriet Jones), his obsession with Rose, the “lonely god” crap, and the overdrawn, melodramatic exit (where he visited each and every original character RTD created for the show). And, having gone through this thread, I see others have trounced “Last of the Time Lords” quite soundly, as is deserved.
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
cloudy day

Postby iank » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:21 am

I was never a big fan but I find him arguably even more intolerable now (though he's mostly okay in series 3 sans Rose and before he really starts hamming it up with Tate), and much of his era has aged really badly already.
Would be bottom but for the Nurse. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby cloudy day » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:18 pm

iank wrote:I was never a big fan but I find him arguably even more intolerable now (though he's mostly okay in series 3 sans Rose and before he really starts hamming it up with Tate), and much of his era has aged really badly already.
Would be bottom but for the Nurse. :D

LOL! I have to go back and rewatch a few. As far as companions go, Tate was in my top 5.
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
cloudy day

Previous

Return to The Tennant Era