Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby LizR » Wed May 30, 2012 9:23 am

Zarius wrote:Not to me. "Sound of Drums" and "Last of the Time Lords" are brilliant follow-ups in my opinion, great madcap fun nonsense with great acting and the balls to do something a bit different. I love that it pisses off traditionalists too. I'd rather watch them than a po-faced Pertwee pantomime anyday of the week.

I love going against the pack mentality...it means I get to enjoy Doctor Who all the more while others just waste their time being pointlessly negative and nit-picky

That would be fine, if Pertwee hadn't also been doing something a bit (or rather a lot) different, and still looks good 40 years later. I wonder how SOD-U-LOTT will stand up in 2050? (Or indeed 2012...)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby bingo99 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:28 pm

What is it with the public and this pillock? I'll put this alongside them thinking Simon Cowell is the world's greatest music producer and David Cameron is a worthy Prime Minister

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/ ... ed-4187848
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
bingo99

Postby Allons-y » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:49 pm

So I've only just seen this thread, and as such haven't had a chance to read all of the posts in it. However I disagree entirely, he get's a bad rap on this forum (I therefore may be the only one here with a high opinion of him), but I honestly think Tennant was the best Doctor we have had. Sure he didn't always have the best stories, but somehow he still seemed to shine through. And while I'm at it, unashamedly disagreeing with the consensus around here, I actually quite liked Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords (and Loved Time Crash). It truely is a shame Tennant went out with a story as dismal as The End of Time, but how people can hate him and love Matt is beyond me. For me the Doctors in order from best to worst are; 1. Tennant, 2. Tom Baker, ..., 10. Matt, 11. Colin Baker.

Allons-y!
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby bingo99 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Allons-y wrote:And while I'm at it, unashamedly disagreeing with the consensus around here

But outside this thread the consensus is on your side ie that really depressing poll by Yougov. Tennant bashers are the mavericks, not Tennant praisers.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
bingo99

Postby Allons-y » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:57 pm

bingo99 wrote:
Allons-y wrote:And while I'm at it, unashamedly disagreeing with the consensus around here

But outside this thread the consensus is on your side ie that really depressing poll by Yougov. Tennant bashers are the mavericks, not Tennant praisers.

well regardless of whether it's vogue or not, it is my opinion. Certainly on here I would say most are not keen on Tennant's portrayal. The general public on the other hand, well that is an entirely different kettle of fish.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby bingo99 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:08 pm

Allons-y wrote:The general public on the other hand, well that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Yes, as I just said

PS Although only about one in six according to that poll.
bingo99

Postby Allons-y » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:09 pm

bingo99 wrote:
Allons-y wrote:The general public on the other hand, well that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Yes, as I just said

Well then we are in agreeance on something :)
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby bingo99 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:17 pm

A trait amongst emowhores is to pronounce mediocrity that fulfills their emotional incontenence as "the best thing evah". And as the most emowhorish fictional character of the past twenty years, the Tenth Doctor fulfills this revolting need amongst that self-pitying part of the populace. Their gratitude is endless. That's my theory.
bingo99

Postby Allons-y » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:20 pm

bingo99 wrote:A trait amongst emowhores is to pronounce mediocrity that fulfills their emotional incontenence as "the best thing evah". And as the most emowhorish fictional character of the past twenty years, the Tenth Doctor fulfills this revolting need amongst that self-pitying part of the populace. Their gratitude is endless. That's my theory.

Contrariwise the Tenth Doctor is actually good and it has nothing to with being an emo or a whore.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby chap with wings » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:13 pm

I just don't get the hatred some "fans" have for Tennant, maybe it's because he's popular with the general public and "fans" are naturally non-conformist so have to say that Smith is superior whether they believe it or not. its like the new series getting the Dennis Potter award and countless othe awards, because the classic series didn't get theses awards they are dismissed as populist and meaningless. Lunacy.
For what it's worth, Tennant is my favourite Doctor (closely followed by McCoy)
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby Kajaboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:34 pm

bingo99 wrote:A trait amongst emowhores is to pronounce mediocrity that fulfills their emotional incontenence as "the best thing evah". And as the most emowhorish fictional character of the past twenty years, the Tenth Doctor fulfills this revolting need amongst that self-pitying part of the populace. Their gratitude is endless. That's my theory.

I love these kind of posts that can only come from you Bingo. I don't agree with it, regards Tennant, but it always makes me smile. :)
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby The Nimon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 pm

I don't hate Tennant, I thought he was rather good, though had the odd bits that were annoying. The best Doctor though will always be Tom Baker. Then others played the Doctor, he was the Doctor.
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby iank » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Tennant could have been good, and occasionally was, but was severely hampered by some of the worst scripts ever seen in the series to that point and not actually playing anyone remotely recognisable as the Doctor at least 50% of the time. Smith was pretty much the same, really, though he got a better start.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:02 am

Tennant's gurning and goofing around trying to be eccentric got me down.:roll: He was much better at playing the part serious as in Human Nature/Family Of Blood.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:52 am

chap with wings wrote:I just don't get the hatred some "fans" have for Tennant, maybe it's because he's popular with the general public and "fans" are naturally non-conformist so have to say that Smith is superior whether they believe it or not. its like the new series getting the Dennis Potter award and countless othe awards, because the classic series didn't get theses awards they are dismissed as populist and meaningless. Lunacy.
For what it's worth, Tennant is my favourite Doctor (closely followed by McCoy)

Well, in my case it's more the stories he was given that made him my almost least favourite, that plus the year-in year-out whining about Rose, who Eccles was allowed to dismiss as "another stupid ape". I do think Tennant would have been far better with decent material that didn't insist he was a hypermanic mockney, just as John Simm might have made a decent Master if allowed to play it as evil rather than barking mad (Simm is an actor with quite a range, although making him the epitome of evil still looks like the worst casting decision since, er, hmm, hang on a minute.... oh yes, Ed Wood casting his wife's chiropractor in "Plan 9").

When Tennant was allowed to dial back the idiocy and given a chance to act, he did a good job. Not as good as Matt Smith (at least when he started) because Matt appears to be able to do the alien bit without acting, he's just a natural. But Tennant was pretty good, and given a decent scriptwriter could have been great.

(It would also have helped if David had been allowed to use his own accent. After all, I'm reliably informed that lots of planets have a north.)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:57 am

Kajaboy wrote:

I love these kind of posts that can only come from you Bingo. I don't agree with it, regards Tennant, but it always makes me smile. :)

It was rather good! (I love the "imho" of the final sentence, too. It just seems so completely unnecessary, like clubbing someone to death then apologising for staining the carpet, a la James Bond.)

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Allons-y » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:16 am

LizR wrote:It would also have helped if David had been allowed to use his own accent. After all, I'm reliably informed that lots of planets have a north.

Apparently the idea was that they didn't want two in a row without outrageous accents, so Tennant had to lose his, I have no problem with the accent he adopted though, he did it almost flawlessly (a few words could be picked out which were wrong on occasion).
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby LizR » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:50 am

Allons-y wrote:Apparently the idea was that they didn't want two in a row with outrageous accents, so Tennant had to lose his, I have no problem with the accent he adopted though, he did it almost flawlessly (a few words could be picked out which were wrong on occasion).

I assume you meant "with".

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby iank » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:05 am

What on Earth is outrageous about a Scottish accent? And how is it anymore outrageous than a fake Cockney one?

:roll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby Allons-y » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:13 am

LizR wrote:
Allons-y wrote:Apparently the idea was that they didn't want two in a row with outrageous accents, so Tennant had to lose his, I have no problem with the accent he adopted though, he did it almost flawlessly (a few words could be picked out which were wrong on occasion).

I assume you meant "with".

Indeed I did, sorry about that.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

PreviousNext

Return to The Tennant Era