Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby The Nimon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Heccypoo wrote:
I was incredibly disappointed watching the Christmas Invasion.

:cry:


I was as well TBH, but that was mainly because the Doctor was hardly in it, instead i had to sit and watch Rose burst into tears 22 times :roll:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Heccypoo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Make that I was doubly disappointed...

Hoping that the story would lift as the big reveal of the Doctor's new persona...

'This is a fighting hand!'....

Truly, truly awful performance.
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
User avatar
Heccypoo
 
 
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm
Location: Tracy Island

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby iank » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:48 am

Heccypoo wrote:I think it was Anthony Hopkins who described theatre actors as 'honking and hooting' as they work on the stage.

:


Or "shouting in the evening", as Troughton called it. :mrgreen:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
User avatar
iank
 
 
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Heccypoo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:59 am

"shouting in the evening", as Troughton called it


:lol: Brilliant, good old Pat.
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
User avatar
Heccypoo
 
 
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm
Location: Tracy Island

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby CamelCamelCamel » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Heccypoo wrote:I thought Eccleston was wooden at best. The only time he seemed (to me anyway) to actually put anything into his performance was Dalek.

Matt Smith started well and was (again in my opinion) the first Doctor in NuWho that felt 'right'.

He's become a caricature of what people think the Doctor should be.

That's a shame. :cry:


A caricature, that's a good way to put it. I think he became a caricature of himself. His "zaniness" felt so much more organic in series 5, in Matt's performance and reading of lines, but then it seems like the scripts started being written with that persona in mind and nearly every episode had the Doctor in 'The Lodger' mode. It got to be a bit overbearing.

But I'm not of a mind that there's a "right" way to play the Doctor. I think it's the character's unique strength that he's so mutable, and I enjoy the whole spectrum of his personalities (except for the boring ones, without naming names! Naming numbers, 5 and 8 :D ).
CamelCamelCamel
 
 
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Heccypoo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I didn't mean there was a right way to play the Doctor.

I meant right in as having that, sorry to swear on this forum, the X Factor :oops: that gives the actor that indefinably gift to make you believe in his performance.

Lots of actors rely on a bag of tricks and gimmicks learnt at drama school.

I put Tennent in that bracket. As well as most actors employed in soap operas and lots of modern tv drama.

Actors like John Hurt, Richard Burton, Derek Jacobi, Larry Olivier, Anthony Hopkins, Liam Neeson have the actual gift to make you believe them. They don't act the part, they become the part. The old cliché about being able to read the contents of a telephone directory and making it interesting fits them

Benedict Cumberbatch (forgive spelling) has that gift. Matt Smith has that gift as well. He's just been let down by the writers and directors of Doctor Who. They took his ability and milked it too much.

Matt Smith has had to do the opposite of what Pat Troughten had to do.

Troughten started off really 'zany' and mellowed it as he went along.

Matt Smith started zany and kept going and going...

I blame Moffat :lol:
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
User avatar
Heccypoo
 
 
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm
Location: Tracy Island

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Allons-y » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Heccypoo wrote:I didn't mean there was a right way to play the Doctor.

I meant right in as having that, sorry to swear on this forum, the X Factor :oops: that gives the actor that indefinably gift to make you believe in his performance.

Lots of actors rely on a bag of tricks and gimmicks learnt at drama school.

I put Tennent in that bracket. As well as most actors employed in soap operas and lots of modern tv drama.

Actors like John Hurt, Richard Burton, Derek Jacobi, Larry Olivier, Anthony Hopkins, Liam Neeson have the actual gift to make you believe them. They don't act the part, they become the part. The old cliché about being able to read the contents of a telephone directory and making it interesting fits them

Benedict Cumberbatch (forgive spelling) has that gift. Matt Smith has that gift as well. He's just been let down by the writers and directors of Doctor Who. They took his ability and milked it too much.

Matt Smith has had to do the opposite of what Pat Troughten had to do.

Troughten started off really 'zany' and mellowed it as he went along.

Matt Smith started zany and kept going and going...

I blame Moffat :lol:

Benedict Cumberbatch is a better actor than David Tennant? I'm sorry, but Cumberbatch is a terrible actor, he over acts something chronic.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
User avatar
Allons-y
 
 
 
Posts: 5944
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Heccypoo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Afraid we'll have to agree to differ on that one...
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
User avatar
Heccypoo
 
 
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm
Location: Tracy Island

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby CamelCamelCamel » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Heccypoo wrote:I blame Moffat :lol:


Now there's something I think we can all agree on :D
CamelCamelCamel
 
 
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby paulhickling » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Well, I have to differ with the very title of this thread, which is complete bollocks as far as I'm concerned. For me it's Tenth Doctor = One of the Best Doctors, as he is clearly in the top ranking. As was Christmas Invasion. Still stands as one of the two best festive specials, along with The Next Doctor.

The idea of the new Doctor being in bed for half the time is obviously a reference to Spearhead from Space, also used to some extent by The TV Movie. Both RTD and Segal were fans of the Pertwee era of course. And there's the grumps after the PM having the Sychorax destroyed echoing the Brig blowing up the Silurians. Lovely references for me.

Maybe Tennant is more the people's Doctor than purely the fan's. In our house there was a genuine family mix, and the line "this is my fighting hand" brought the house down, along with most of Tennant's performance.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Allons-y » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:49 pm

paulhickling wrote:Well, I have to differ with the very title of this thread, which is complete bollocks as far as I'm concerned. For me it's Tenth Doctor = One of the Best Doctors, as he is clearly in the top ranking. As was Christmas Invasion. Still stands as one of the two best festive specials, along with The Next Doctor.

The idea of the new Doctor being in bed for half the time is obviously a reference to Spearhead from Space, also used to some extent by The TV Movie. Both RTD and Segal were fans of the Pertwee era of course. And there's the grumps after the PM having the Sychorax destroyed echoing the Brig blowing up the Silurians. Lovely references for me.

Maybe Tennant is more the people's Doctor than purely the fan's. In our house there was a genuine family mix, and the line "this is my fighting hand" brought the house down, along with most of Tennant's performance.

I agree. Actually I think many fans dislike Tennant simply because the general public loved him, but that's enough of that, I'm in danger of sounding like Adam Who (albeit arguing the opposite position)
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
User avatar
Allons-y
 
 
 
Posts: 5944
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Heccypoo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:09 pm

It's all down to personal taste.

To me Tennent is a bad Doctor and one of the worst. Doesn't mean I'm right.
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
User avatar
Heccypoo
 
 
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm
Location: Tracy Island

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Allons-y » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Heccypoo wrote:It's all down to personal taste.

To me Tennent is a bad Doctor and one of the worst. Doesn't mean I'm right.

Perhaps, now to me, he's the best and Colin is the worst, but it's not something you can get right it wrong, merely have an opinion on
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
User avatar
Allons-y
 
 
 
Posts: 5944
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby tony ingram » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:51 pm

CamelCamelCamel wrote:
Heccypoo wrote:I blame Moffat :lol:


Now there's something I think we can all agree on :D
Nope, we can't.
User avatar
tony ingram
 
 
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby chap with wings » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Allons-y wrote:
paulhickling wrote:Well, I have to differ with the very title of this thread, which is complete bollocks as far as I'm concerned. For me it's Tenth Doctor = One of the Best Doctors, as he is clearly in the top ranking. As was Christmas Invasion. Still stands as one of the two best festive specials, along with The Next Doctor.

The idea of the new Doctor being in bed for half the time is obviously a reference to Spearhead from Space, also used to some extent by The TV Movie. Both RTD and Segal were fans of the Pertwee era of course. And there's the grumps after the PM having the Sychorax destroyed echoing the Brig blowing up the Silurians. Lovely references for me.

Maybe Tennant is more the people's Doctor than purely the fan's. In our house there was a genuine family mix, and the line "this is my fighting hand" brought the house down, along with most of Tennant's performance.

I agree. Actually I think many fans dislike Tennant simply because the general public loved him, but that's enough of that, I'm in danger of sounding like Adam Who (albeit arguing the opposite position)


Agreed completely, fans seem to like to feel superior by liking thing the public don't like, it happens in all fandom. Loo at music, NME underground bands win best band while they are underground and are then derided by the same fans once they achieve success.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar
chap with wings
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby The Nimon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:13 pm

If its a case of fans hating what the public love then the public must really love Moffat and what he's done with the show then :D
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby LizR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:24 pm

paulhickling wrote:As was Christmas Invasion. Still stands as one of the two best festive specials, along with The Next Doctor.

Talk about damning with faint praise!

I agree with you about these two episodes being two of the best xmas specials (well, apart from the Cyberking nonsense and the explanation for the Jackson Lake business...)

The trouble is I also think they were pants.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
 
Posts: 20477
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby iank » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:24 pm

chap with wings wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
paulhickling wrote:Well, I have to differ with the very title of this thread, which is complete bollocks as far as I'm concerned. For me it's Tenth Doctor = One of the Best Doctors, as he is clearly in the top ranking. As was Christmas Invasion. Still stands as one of the two best festive specials, along with The Next Doctor.

The idea of the new Doctor being in bed for half the time is obviously a reference to Spearhead from Space, also used to some extent by The TV Movie. Both RTD and Segal were fans of the Pertwee era of course. And there's the grumps after the PM having the Sychorax destroyed echoing the Brig blowing up the Silurians. Lovely references for me.

Maybe Tennant is more the people's Doctor than purely the fan's. In our house there was a genuine family mix, and the line "this is my fighting hand" brought the house down, along with most of Tennant's performance.

I agree. Actually I think many fans dislike Tennant simply because the general public loved him, but that's enough of that, I'm in danger of sounding like Adam Who (albeit arguing the opposite position)


Agreed completely, fans seem to like to feel superior by liking thing the public don't like, it happens in all fandom. Loo at music, NME underground bands win best band while they are underground and are then derided by the same fans once they achieve success.


Perhaps this is true for some, but the reality is that many of us have different taste to what appears to be the mainstream, particularly nowadays where it appears that mainstream now largely equals "as dumb as possible, all the time".
The reality for me is that if Tennant Who had been the way the original show was, I would not be a fan. Too dumb, too crass, too shallow.
And speaking personally, I don't find it cool to like stuff most people don't, or vice versa. If anything I find it incredibly irritating, when the airwaves are full of crap I hate and good stuff flops/getscancelled/isforgotten etc. Fecking annoying, actually. I keep waiting for the mainstream to grow a brain, it just doesn't seem to want to play ball. :roll: :P
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
User avatar
iank
 
 
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby Heccypoo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:51 am

[/quote]
Perhaps this is true for some, but the reality is that many of us have different taste to what appears to be the mainstream, particularly nowadays where it appears that mainstream now largely equals "as dumb as possible, all the time".
The reality for me is that if Tennant Who had been the way the original show was, I would not be a fan. Too dumb, too crass, too shallow.
And speaking personally, I don't find it cool to like stuff most people don't, or vice versa. If anything I find it incredibly irritating, when the airwaves are full of cr*p I hate and good stuff flops/getscancelled/isforgotten etc. Fecking annoying, actually. I keep waiting for the mainstream to grow a brain, it just doesn't seem to want to play ball. :roll: :P[/quote]

Hear hear
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
User avatar
Heccypoo
 
 
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm
Location: Tracy Island

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby The Krynoid Man » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:06 am

Image
Image
Image
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
User avatar
The Krynoid Man
 
 
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:32 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PreviousNext

Return to The Tennant Era

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest