Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby tony ingram » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:22 pm

paulhickling wrote:Whereas I thought the idea of reversing the obvious thing to do with Peter Kay, ie. the real one having a northern accent and the monster being a typically voiced alien, turned on it's head, was rather amusing.
It made no sense. It turned the programme into a joke.
tony ingram

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby chap with wings » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 pm

I have to disagree Tony, I think it took it to a whole new level of drama and emotion. The use of metaphor, surrealism & unreliable narrator are excellent techniques adding levels of depth and rewatch ability seldom seen in any TV drama.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby The Nimon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:47 pm

I have to say that i just spent the whole episode wondering when the Doctor was going to turn up. I think excellent Blink and the also excellent Turn Left both did the Doctor light thing much better
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby LizR » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:15 pm

chap with wings wrote:The use of metaphor, surrealism & unreliable narrator are excellent techniques adding levels of depth and rewatch ability seldom seen in any TV drama.

True. But to get back to "Love and Monsters" ...
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Postby CamelCamelCamel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:25 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
paulhickling wrote:Well, I have to differ with the very title of this thread, which is complete bollocks as far as I'm concerned. For me it's Tenth Doctor = One of the Best Doctors, as he is clearly in the top ranking. As was Christmas Invasion. Still stands as one of the two best festive specials, along with The Next Doctor.

The idea of the new Doctor being in bed for half the time is obviously a reference to Spearhead from Space, also used to some extent by The TV Movie. Both RTD and Segal were fans of the Pertwee era of course. And there's the grumps after the PM having the Sychorax destroyed echoing the Brig blowing up the Silurians. Lovely references for me.

Maybe Tennant is more the people's Doctor than purely the fan's. In our house there was a genuine family mix, and the line "this is my fighting hand" brought the house down, along with most of Tennant's performance.

I agree. Actually I think many fans dislike Tennant simply because the general public loved him, but that's enough of that, I'm in danger of sounding like Adam Who (albeit arguing the opposite position)
I didn't. I don't care whether the public liked him or not. I hated him because to me, he was not playing the Doctor, just a generic action hero/romantic lead.

That's how I feel about 5 and (to a lesser extent) 8. I see where you're coming from in applying it to 10, but I think he maintained a Doctor-like eccentricity in his performance, and he (unlike 5) largely preserved the Doctor's pseudo-pacifism that's, in my opinion, one of the character's unique and defining characteristics. I don't think it was 10 himself that clashed with traditional Doctor Who, I think it was the Rose arc, and I think 11 was headed the same way with Clara.
CamelCamelCamel

Postby tony ingram » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:23 am

chap with wings wrote:I have to disagree Tony, I think it took it to a whole new level of drama and emotion. The use of metaphor, surrealism & unreliable narrator are excellent techniques adding levels of depth and rewatch ability seldom seen in any TV drama.

Yes, but the whole unreliable narrator thing is largely in the mind of fans who've come up with this theory that what was seen on screen wasn't what was really happening. I got nothing of that from watching the episode and I'm still not convinced. It certainly brought me to a whole new level of emotion, though; I've never hated any episode as much, before or since.
tony ingram

Postby LizR » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:56 am

tony ingram wrote:
chap with wings wrote:I have to disagree Tony, I think it took it to a whole new level of drama and emotion. The use of metaphor, surrealism & unreliable narrator are excellent techniques adding levels of depth and rewatch ability seldom seen in any TV drama.

Yes, but the whole unreliable narrator thing is largely in the mind of fans who've come up with this theory that what was seen on screen wasn't what was really happening. I got nothing of that from watching the episode and I'm still not convinced. It certainly brought me to a whole new level of emotion, though; I've never hated any episode as much, before or since.

Surely "Last of the Time Lords" (etc) must have come close? Especially since it was dragged out over 3 episodes (although Jacobi was good, but that was always going to be the case no matter how rubbish the script).
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Postby tony ingram » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:12 am

LizR wrote:
tony ingram wrote:

Surely "Last of the Time Lords" (etc) must have come close? Especially since it was dragged out over 3 episodes (although Jacobi was good, but that was always going to be the case no matter how rubbish the script).

Oh, I hated many of RTDs episodes, including Last of the Time Lords and the godawful Journey's End and The End of Time. But none of them quite matched the sheer, cring inducing intensity of the shame and embarrassment of watching Love & Monsters under the withering gaze of my other half. And she's actually a Doctor Who fan. God knows what the general public thought of it.
tony ingram

Postby chap with wings » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:14 am

tony ingram wrote:

I think as on many things Tony, we will have to respectfully agree to differ.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby paulhickling » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Last of the Timelords, Journey's End. More total classics. If only there'd been more like that in the last few years, sigh.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby chap with wings » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Agreed, Last of the Timelords is in my personal top 10 greatest stories, it's impact doesn't lessen on repeated viewing, the emotional hit is just as strong.

chap with wings

Postby tony ingram » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:51 pm

chap with wings wrote:Agreed, Last of the Timelords is in my personal top 10 greatest stories, it's impact doesn't lessen on repeated viewing, the emotional hit is just as strong.
Yes, but who wants to projectile vomit every time?

Sorry, but I got no "emotional hit" from that story. I was just fidgeting, waiting for it to end. Same with Journey's End. And the tenth Doctor's departure in End of Time was even worse, it really is pathetic, totally undignified. "I don't wanna go. Baaaw! Mummy!" :floorroll:

RTD could not write season finales.
tony ingram

Postby chap with wings » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Agree with you on a Journey's End, a waste if a great set up episode, but I stand firm in my love of a Last of the Time Lords.

chap with wings

Postby Kajaboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:06 am

tony ingram wrote:RTD could not write season finales.

Moffat can't write Doctor Who full stop. 8-)
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby Allons-y » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:08 am

Agreed!
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby LizR » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:45 am

Kajaboy wrote:

Oddly he seemed like the only person who could, when RTD was in charge (well, apart from Rob Shearman ... and lapses like TGIF), but now I tend to agree. A few bits of timey-wimeyness were great, but now it's turned into his version of "emo-button + deus ex machina".

LizR

Postby tony ingram » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:37 am

Kajaboy wrote:

And yet, he persists in doing so, and most people (outside a few disgruntled fans on forums) seem to like it.
tony ingram

Postby iank » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:55 am

The same applies to your beloved RTD though, doesn't it tony?

Horses for courses.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby Kajaboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:14 pm

tony ingram wrote:And yet, he persists in doing so...

I know. He's like the Eddie The Eagle of the Doctor Who world. We all stand there cheering him on hoping he will come out with something great, all the time knowing he's going to fall flat on his face within seconds.

tony ingram wrote:....and most people (outside a few disgruntled fans on forums) seem to like it.

Pot and Kettle much. ;)
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby The Nimon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Kajaboy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:And yet, he persists in doing so...

I know. He's like the Eddie The Eagle of the Doctor Who world. We all stand there cheering him on hoping he will come out with something great, all the time knowing he's going to fall flat on his face within seconds.

tony ingram wrote:....and most people (outside a few disgruntled fans on forums) seem to like it.

Pot and Kettle much. ;)

I think the public love both RTD and Moffat stories myself.
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

PreviousNext

Return to The Tennant Era