Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby mrmoo2001 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:24 am

I will say this: I think I can safely name 10 people who have played the Doctor better than Tennant.

11 if you count the Dalek movies form the 60's.

16 if you also count The Curse of Fatal Death.

Seriously, he would have been so much better if he'd just kept his original accent.

RTD's writing did him no favours either. I kind of stopped watching after Gridlock made me sadly realise that the show would never be good without a serious production team shakeup (I did come back for the return of the Master... which was a mistake... and then the season 4 finale... I felt so dirty I had to watch Doctor Who and the Silurians to wash it away)
mrmoo2001

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby The Nimon » Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 am

mrmoo2001 wrote:I will say this: I think I can safely name 10 people who have played the Doctor better than Tennant.

Seriously, he would have been so much better if he'd just kept his original accent.

RTD's writing did him no favours either. I kind of stopped watching after Gridlock made me sadly realise that the show would never be good without a serious production team shakeup (I did come back for the return of the Master... which was a mistake... and then the season 4 finale... I felt so dirty I had to watch Doctor Who and the Silurians to wash it away)

At least you didn't find it so bad that you felt compelled to watch Timelash ;)
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby chap with wings » Sun May 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Robert Watkins wrote:
mrmoo2001 wrote:I will say this: I think I can safely name 10 people who have played the Doctor better than Tennant.

You missed some cracking stories if you stopped from Gridlock that season. Personally, the first two stories werent great. How get past that and you had Blink, Human Nature, Utopia. 2 of them the best Who ever!

Quoted for truth.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby ianj » Sun May 20, 2012 4:54 pm

I quite liked tennant, the kids adored him..for me the worst was mc coy, my best was pertwee followed by billy
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby markhuk » Mon May 21, 2012 1:03 pm

I dont think Tennant was the worst Doctor
Just had some of the worst stories
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Postby image45 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:09 pm

markhuk wrote:I dont think Tennant was the worst Doctor
Just had some of the worst stories

Yes it would be of interest to see Tennant in some of Matt’s stories to see how things feel.

‘Human Nature’ and ‘The Family of Blood’ are two of my favourite Tenth Doctor stories, since they are written by Paul Cornell rather than the regular chap, what was his name again ;) . I know why this is like :)

Along with "Human Nature", "The Family of Blood" was nominated for the 2008 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form. Tennant won the Constellation Award for Best Male Performance in a 2007 Science Fiction Television Episode for his dual role as John Smith and the Doctor in the two episodes.

Robert
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby Kajaboy » Mon May 21, 2012 9:25 pm

image45 wrote:Yes it would be of interest to see Tennant in some of Matt’s stories to see how things feel.

Personally I am glad David left when he did so his last stories weren't tarnished by the utter pile of festering horse droppings that was series 5.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby The Nimon » Mon May 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Kajaboy wrote:
image45 wrote:Yes it would be of interest to see Tennant in some of Matt’s stories to see how things feel.

Personally I am glad David left when he did so his last stories weren't tarnished by the utter pile of festering horse droppings that was series 5.

No he went before and his last stories were tarnished by the not very special specails that had the puke inducing over forced blubbery over long regeneration, which made the regeneration of Doctor 6 into 7 actully look good. ;) :lol: :mrgreen:
The Nimon

Postby markhuk » Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Kajaboy wrote:Personally I am glad David left when he did so his last stories weren't tarnished by the utter pile of festering horse droppings that was series 5.

Its odd you should say that as Tennant himself has said that in many ways he wishes he had stayed as he was so impressed by Moffat as a writer and series 5 in particular, but felt he should leave out of loyalty to Russell and the need for a change.
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Postby chap with wings » Tue May 22, 2012 12:51 pm

If Tennant HAD stayed for series 5, he would probably have regenerated at the end of The Big Bang, sacrificing himself to reboot the universe & in the arms of RIver Song, now that would have been lovely, I have a tear in my eye thinking about it. :cry: :cry: :cry:
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby bingo99 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Robert Watkins wrote:You missed some cracking stories if you stopped from Gridlock that season. Personally, the first two stories werent great. How get past that and you had Blink, Human Nature, Utopia. 2 of them the best Who ever!

Is Utopia a story? Not more of a part one? Though I commend you leaving out what followed
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
bingo99

Postby chap with wings » Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 pm

I love what followed, it's a cast iron classic, my favorite of all the finale's, not to everyone's taste, Mrs W really dislikes it, especially the way the Doctor is treated by The Master, but I find it just sublime.

Now, if you were talking about what followed what followed Utopia, I am with you all the way. :lol:

chap with wings

Postby The Nimon » Tue May 22, 2012 8:31 pm

chap with wings wrote:If Tennant HAD stayed for series 5, he would probably have regenerated at the end of The Big Bang, sacrificing himself to reboot the universe & in the arms of RIver Song, now that would have been lovely, I have a tear in my eye thinking about it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I agree Ed, that would have been a hell of a lot better than what we got in The End of Time.
The Nimon

Postby Zarius » Thu May 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Wouldnt it have been a perfect set-up if Amy "rememberd" The Doctor at her wedding, the TARDIS materialized, she ecstaticly runs towards the doors, the doors open...and out pops Matt Smith for the FIRST TIME.

CUE CREDITS
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby LizR » Fri May 25, 2012 4:33 am

bingo99 wrote:
Robert Watkins wrote:You missed some cracking stories if you stopped from Gridlock that season. Personally, the first two stories werent great. How get past that and you had Blink, Human Nature, Utopia. 2 of them the best Who ever!

Is Utopia a story? Not more of a part one? Though I commend you leaving out what followed

Well, "Human Nature" was more of a part one, too, so I think he was just using "Utopia" to mean the whole car crash, er, season finale.

(Hence the comment about "2 of them..." ;) )
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Fri May 25, 2012 4:37 am

chap with wings wrote:I love what followed, it's a cast iron classic, my favorite of all the finale's, not to everyone's taste, Mrs W really dislikes it, especially the way the Doctor is treated by The Master, but I find it just sublime.

Now, if you were talking about what followed what followed Utopia, I am with you all the way. :lol:

"What followed what followed Utopia" ... ? Oh, yes, you mean "Last of the Time Lords" ?! :lol:

(And what followed what followed what followed "Utopia" was even worse...)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Zarius » Mon May 28, 2012 1:46 pm

Not to me. "Sound of Drums" and "Last of the Time Lords" are brilliant follow-ups in my opinion, great madcap fun nonsense with great acting and the balls to do something a bit different. I love that it pisses off traditionalists too. I'd rather watch them than a po-faced Pertwee pantomime anyday of the week.

I love going against the pack mentality...it means I get to enjoy Doctor Who all the more while others just waste their time being pointlessly negative and nit-picky
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ianj » Mon May 28, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm going to watch some of the Tennants again this week...just fancy watching them again :roll07:
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby chap with wings » Mon May 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Zarius wrote:Not to me. "Sound of Drums" and "Last of the Time Lords" are brilliant follow-ups in my opinion, great madcap fun nonsense with great acting and the balls to do something a bit different. I love that it pisses off traditionalists too. I'd rather watch them than a po-faced Pertwee pantomime anyday of the week.

I love going against the pack mentality...it means I get to enjoy Doctor Who all the more while others just waste their time being pointlessly negative and nit-picky

with you there Zarius, not about pissing off anyone, thats not me, but about them being something different & madcap fun. I must admit, I spent most of 2009 & 2010 being "pointlessly negative" about Matt Smith, & the only person I was winding up was myself, come 2011, I just gave a mental shrug & thought to myself, this is how some fans viewed Tennant, he wont be round forever, just enjoy other aspects of teh show, like River Song - man she has fab hair!! :D :D ;)

chap with wings

Postby bingo99 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Zarius wrote:Not to me. "Sound of Drums" and "Last of the Time Lords" are brilliant follow-ups in my opinion, great madcap fun nonsense with great acting and the balls to do something a bit different. I love that it pisses off traditionalists too. I'd rather watch them than a po-faced Pertwee pantomime anyday of the week.

I find this post hoist by its own hypocrisy
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
bingo99

PreviousNext

Return to The Tennant Era