Moffat reveals Doctor Who almost ended after Tennent left...

Re: Moffat reveals Doctor Who almost ended after Tennent lef

Postby Heccypoo » Fri May 30, 2014 3:44 pm

That said I also agree that Matt Smith is the best Doctor since 1981, and to end on Tennant's departure would have been a sad, sad, prdictable thing, roughly equivalent to finding your crack-addicted daughter dead in a ditch. So I am raising a rare glass to RTD for fighting for the show to continue

It's a bit extreme, perhaps just sad would have sufficed :doc5:
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Llamastrangler » Fri May 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Dear me. Lots of people love RTD/Tennant and hate the Moff/Matt Smith or vice versa. Is it just me who just likes Doctor Who? I mean, I like certain stories, seasons and eras better than others, but...!
Have a look at my blog. It's sort of ok

http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot.com/
Llamastrangler

Postby Tobias Vaughan » Fri May 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Llamastrangler wrote:Dear me. Lots of people love RTD/Tennant and hate the Moff/Matt Smith or vice versa. Is it just me who just likes Doctor Who? I mean, I like certain stories, seasons and eras better than others, but...!
No, me too, I even quite like some Sylv :roll07: McCoy and The lesser :6doctor: Baker stories too :D although Smith was clearly better than Eccles and Tennant and comparing him to McGann is pointless off the back of Pauls limited tv appearances
I saw 'The Purge, Election Year' last night, I couldn't make out whether it was fiction or a party political broadcast on behalf of the Republican party...
Tobias Vaughan

Postby tony ingram » Fri May 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Tobias Vaughan wrote:
Llamastrangler wrote:Dear me. Lots of people love RTD/Tennant and hate the Moff/Matt Smith or vice versa. Is it just me who just likes Doctor Who? I mean, I like certain stories, seasons and eras better than others, but...!
No, me too, I even quite like some Sylv :roll07: McCoy and The lesser :6doctor: Baker stories too :D although Smith was clearly better than Eccles and Tennant and comparing him to McGann is pointless off the back of Pauls limited tv appearances

I count Paul as one of my favourites, not based purely on his TV appearances but his dozens of audio stories.
tony ingram

Postby Tobias Vaughan » Fri May 30, 2014 6:54 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Tobias Vaughan wrote:

I count Paul as one of my favourites, not based purely on his TV appearances but his dozens of audio stories.
but only hardcore fans like us would have any interest in his audios, i've just listened to neverland and zagreus again this week for example, most people comparing doctors these days won't
I saw 'The Purge, Election Year' last night, I couldn't make out whether it was fiction or a party political broadcast on behalf of the Republican party...
Tobias Vaughan

Postby The Nimon » Fri May 30, 2014 8:42 pm

King_Priam wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Tennant was a bit over blown by the fan girls.

:shock:

That's just dirty minded... I like it lol :lol:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby Allons-y » Sat May 31, 2014 1:40 am

I'm with you, I like both, but I prefer RTD/Tennant, I'd put Moff/Smith quite low down the pile, along with JNT/C. Baker and JNT/McCOY but I do like it all, it's not my favourite show for nothing.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby LizR » Sat May 31, 2014 8:18 am

The Nimon wrote:
King_Priam wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Tennant was a bit over blown by the fan girls.

:shock:

That's just dirty minded... I like it lol :lol:

That was always a problem with the inflatable David Tennants...
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Postby tony ingram » Sat May 31, 2014 8:37 am

Tobias Vaughan wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Tobias Vaughan wrote:

but only hardcore fans like us would have any interest in his audios, i've just listened to neverland and zagreus again this week for example, most people comparing doctors these days won't

That's their problem. Every Who fan should listen to The Chimes of Midnight. It should be compulsory.
tony ingram

Postby Llamastrangler » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:52 pm

tony ingram wrote:That's their problem. Every Who fan should listen to The Chimes of Midnight. It should be compulsory.

Agreed. You haven't lived if you haven't heard Chimes of Midnight.

Llamastrangler

Postby Llamastrangler » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Allons-y wrote:

I'm with you, I like both, but I prefer RTD/Tennant, I'd put Moff/Smith quite low down the pile, along with JNT/C. Baker and JNT/McCOY but I do like it all, it's not my favourite show for nothing.

I prefer Moff/Smith on balance as it seems more confident, less formulaic and more playful with the format. But it's able to be these things because it's standing on the shoulders of the RTD/Tennant era, which successfully re-established the show and slowly restored the confidence which had been shattered by the 1985 hiatus. Plus RTD/Tennant was superb in its own right.

Llamastrangler

Postby tony ingram » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Not everyone's confidence was "shattered" by the 1985 hiatus. Mine wasn't.
tony ingram

Postby paulhickling » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:40 am

I do believe that the famous hiatus was indeed responsible in it's own way for the eventual demise of our favourite tv series. Whatever we think of it, the first Colin series was recognisably traditional Doctor Who. And though the schedules and episode format had already been mucked about with after Tom's departure, the series that came back after the hiatus was a real shadow of it's former self. It never recovered and was quietly shoved further down the plug hole after the public outcry caused by Grade's axe-job had faded.

I'll never forget the day David Saunders announced at the infamous DWAS-bankrupting Brighton Panopticon, that Doctor Who would return as a 14 episode series. I think just about everyone there felt it was the beginning of the end. He certainly did, and it turned out to be very true.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby tony ingram » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:02 pm

I didn't consider the Trial season to be "a shadow" of the show's former self, I really liked it-watched it endlessly. And season 26 was some of the best Doctor Who ever.
tony ingram

Postby Greyhawk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:39 am

Man the BBC always seems determined to nail their dick to the floor with stupid decisions.
"YOU INTERNET BULLY. COME OUT AND I WILL PHYSICALLY ASSAULT YOU FOR QUOTING ME ON THE INTERNET!!!"
- Bored of Canada (paraphrasing iamthedoctor)

"Makes me want to just pack up and quit and go to another site where we dont have all these rules."
"This is getting crazy now. Its supposed to be a discussion site."
"...me and him just meet in a public place so I can give him a bloody good kicking..."
"So if thats the case we re getting 44 episodes in november then!"
"Is William Hurt making a appearance in Saturdays episode?"
"Has Frasier Hines said hes done a commentary for Fury?"
- iamthedoctor

"...sh*t posters will sh*t post..."
"HE WAS MEAN TO ME ON THE INTERNET!"
- Bored of Canada

"You are everything that is wrong with this thread. Cheap insults from behind a keyboard."
- DOOMSTER
Greyhawk

Postby paulhickling » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Well, there was a time when I lumped Trial in with the McCoys as the worst part of the series ever. Then I too watched it when it came along on dvd and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. There was occasionally a good sense of drama (eg Peri's original fate), and terrific music scoring from Dominic Glynn. The only one that really felt as bad as the last three 80s seasons is Terror of the Vervoids. Talk about shoddy. A pretty good cast and yet it comes across as pretty amateur.

Malcolm Clarke's score (far worse than Sea Devils) doesn't help. It's so ott and is overbearing (much more than any Murray Gold). Neither do the sfx. I know they were never an important thing in a good Classic Series story, but the jump from beautifully filmed space station sequences to hair dryers in space video was another nail in the coffin.Add to that the Vervoids themselves.

On a more trivial level (though really annoying since it was pretty upfront) was the Valyard's hat! The JNT costume designers seemed to take James Acheson's wonderful Time Lord outfits and cheapen them beyond reason. Right from Arc of Infinity the skull caps seem too big, and often decorated with bits of cheap braiding and carpet! Here Linda Bellingham had a Mickey Mouse look, and Michael Jayston really did look like he was wearing a pvc tea cosy. No wonder RTD was wary of bringing them back.

Oh, and of course Dominic Glynn's go at the theme. Thought it couldn't get any worse until Keff McCulloch came along.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Llamastrangler » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:21 am

tony ingram wrote:Not everyone's confidence was "shattered" by the 1985 hiatus. Mine wasn't.

I don't mean confidence in the quality of the show on my own part (in fact, under Andrew Cartmel it enjoyed quite the renaissance), but the confidence of the BBC, which casually despised the show and scheduled it against Coronation Street, and my confidence as a fan that the BBC and the public would ever overcome what seemed to be an overwhelming prejudice against the programme which was distressingly strong between 1985 and 2005.

Llamastrangler

Postby The Nimon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Llamastrangler wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Not everyone's confidence was "shattered" by the 1985 hiatus. Mine wasn't.

I don't mean confidence in the quality of the show on my own part (in fact, under Andrew Cartmel it enjoyed quite the renaissance), but the confidence of the BBC, which casually despised the show and scheduled it against Coronation Street, and my confidence as a fan that the BBC and the public would ever overcome what seemed to be an overwhelming prejudice against the programme which was distressingly strong between 1985 and 2005.

very true. Acording to the documentry on the Green Death SE, even when the show was coming back, some at the BBC tried to stop it
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby Kamelion » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:23 am

Not really on topic but after having watched the first Capaldi (who I love) 's first story I think I will never watch the new series again. My reason being that infuriatingly pathetic Moffett blatantly declaring his Scottish pride throughout. The Doctor is Scottish? What a load of absolute bollocks. The Doctor is Gallifreyan. McCoy never waved his nationality in people's faces and I know its not Capaldi's input but the insecure Moffett. I remember a similar line given to Tennant "Never underestimate a Celt..." !!!!
This is a science fiction programme, but you'd think it had been penned by Alex Salmond. No one cares about your patriotism so stop trying to claim ownership of a character that has F all to do with jockland. Its called 'Doctor Who' not 'Doctor Finlay'.
"..and who knows when it will end..."
Kamelion

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Kamelion wrote: ...jockland...

Oh but that would be lovely. A land where men walked around in jock straps all day? :P

But yes the Scottish thing is getting boring now.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

PreviousNext

Return to The Tennant Era