So who's going to be the 12th Doctor

Re: So who's going to be the 12th Doctor

Postby Deleted User 4238 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:37 am

Allons-y wrote:
iank wrote:In no way was Christopher Eccleston an unknown. He was one of the most respected actors in Britain.

I dunno, I'd never heard of Eccleston before Doctor Who, what had he been in, a handful of tv dramas written by RTD. Tennant had been in Harry Potter and Matt Smith Party Animals, but I'd still call them unknowns, Eccleston had been in something called The Second Coming, an unknown I'd say.

???

Aside from many single roles that made him a face on prime time drama. Morse being an early notable.

Let Him Have It was a very high- profile film with favourable reviews. He had the starring role and it is this that arguably pushed his profile. More theatre and television work followed with much critical appreciation.

Shallow Grave was a populist high profile piece of work.

Our Friends In the North (1997) is an iconic BBC drama production, right lauded to this day, it was even released to home market by the BFI - not the BBC - so important is it as a milestone in British television. This series was screened around the world.

This raised Chis Eclestons profile higher still in terms of public and critical acclaim. He was nominated for the 97 Best Actor BAFTA as a result. This watershed landmark series featured an impressive cast of known and emerging talent.
You may have heard of some other chap who found his own iconic British icon role in 2005..Daniel Craig?.

You may not have heard of Chris, but his impressive theatre credentials alone gave WHO gravitas in the eyes of the public, the industry and the media when announced.

So yes, an unknown.
Deleted User 4238

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Allons-y » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:53 am

Mr Ron wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
iank wrote:In no way was Christopher Eccleston an unknown. He was one of the most respected actors in Britain.

I dunno, I'd never heard of Eccleston before Doctor Who, what had he been in, a handful of tv dramas written by RTD. Tennant had been in Harry Potter and Matt Smith Party Animals, but I'd still call them unknowns, Eccleston had been in something called The Second Coming, an unknown I'd say.

???

Aside from many single roles that made him a face on prime time drama. Morse being an early notable.

Let Him Have It was a very high- profile film with favourable reviews. He had the starring role and it is this that arguably pushed his profile. More theatre and television work followed with much critical appreciation.

Shallow Grave was a populist high profile piece of work.

Our Friends In the North (1997) is an iconic BBC drama production, right lauded to this day, it was even released to home market by the BFI - not the BBC - so important is it as a milestone in British television. This series was screened around the world.

This raised Chis Eclestons profile higher still in terms of public and critical acclaim. He was nominated for the 97 Best Actor BAFTA as a result. This watershed landmark series featured an impressive cast of known and emerging talent.
You may have heard of some other chap who found his own iconic British icon role in 2005..Daniel Craig?.

You may not have heard of Chris, but his impressive theatre credentials alone gave WHO gravitas in the eyes of the public, the industry and the media when announced.

So yes, an unknown.

Maybe it's just me then. By the by, when was he in Morse?
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby Deleted User 4238 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:05 am

Second Time Around. Series 5 - 1991

Just though - Clocking Off was another ratings winner.
Deleted User 4238

Postby ReganMacNeilfan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:59 am

Cant wait to find out so i can say yay or pass.
ImageImage

Demon: And I'm the Devil. Now kindly undo these straps.
Norman Bates: 'Cause I don't wanna get messed up with the police. I can't explain it to you. Maybe you're right, maybe this is real... but finding out what happened to this girl isn't gonna make a difference to anyone. She's still gonna be dead, and you're still gonna be sick... and I'm still gonna be who I am.
ReganMacNeilfan

Postby greystone_06 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:47 pm

ReganMacNeilfan wrote:
The Krynoid man wrote:We don't need a young good looking doctor, that's what the compainions are for.

Amelia Pond Kissogram and Raggedy Doctor 11. OMG!!! HELP ME!! I HAVE NOT SEEN HIS FINAL SEASON AND I AM CRYING!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've been crying since Moffat and Smith first appeared. I think Smith is a very warm human being and a good actor who was seriously miscast by a moron.

I don't think Moffat is a good human being...
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:43 pm

LizR wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
iank wrote:It'll be some hyper 25 year old we've never heard of.

Sadly I think the hyper 25 thing is right with Moffat. But I would argue that at least since 2005 (I'm too young to know how successful the others were before being cast as the Doctor), it has always been a relative unknown.

1, 2, 3 and 5 were fairly well known, but not in similar roles (if there are any!)
I think the others were relatively unknown???

Tom Baker is hilariously and perpetually self-deprecating in his autobiography,
but the fact is that in the space of probably only about 5 years in the business,
he'd been onstage in several big productions at the National theatre,
and he'd had a couple of extremely well-received striking character parts in big films:
his 'Rasputin' in Nicholas and Alexandra remains astounding to this day,
and he was the main baddie in Harryhausen kids' blockbuster "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad".
He'd also had a part or two on telly.

Really, he'd had as much success as you'd reasonably expect any actor in the first few years of their career to have, and considerably more than most!
God know what he did with all the money he must've got from Rasputin and Sinbad, so that he had to work on a building site. Drunk it all, I suppose.
'teleportNOW!'

Previous

Return to The Capaldi Era