Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Postby ccrouch2001 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 am

Who else likes the choice of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor? :Tardis:
ccrouch2001

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Postby Allons-y » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:02 am

impossible to know until I see him actually play the Doctor, however others are willing to form an opinion now, which is fine. He does seem like a good choice, however I hate (what I'm going to term) the Maxil Effect. In the end only time will tell.

Oh and welcome to the forum :D
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby chap with wings » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:42 am

Perfect choice, I have almost forgiven Moffat for inflicting Smith on us.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby tony ingram » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:45 am

If Capaldi is even half as good as Smith, he'll be fine.
tony ingram

Postby Allons-y » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:53 am

chap with wings wrote:Perfect choice, I have almost forgiven Moffat for inflicting Smith on us.

Inflict is the right word, I didn't mention it as I didn't want to start an argument, but anyone will be better than Smith that is for sure.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby chap with wings » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 am

Looking forward to a Pertwee/Hartnell style Doctor, a complete departure from the current style.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby Allons-y » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:57 am

We can but hope.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:02 am

Having watched In the Loop, I think he's a really good choice. He has an authoritative quality to him much like Hartnell and Pertwee did. He can also be funny at the same time. I could imagine him doing some of Pertwee's arguments with the Brigadier.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby adamwho » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:02 am

Brilliant choice which for the first time since Christopher Eccleston was cast as the Doctor has me interested (although I didn't like how Eccleston turned out). It's good to have an older actor in the role again and not some pin up like Tennant was and I hope the choice of older actor alienates the Tennant fans (and NuWho fans in general) who now expect the Doctor to be some kind of young poseur always flirting with his companions (which hopefully won't happen with the twelfth Doctor).
I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it.
adamwho

Postby Allons-y » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:45 am

adamwho wrote:Brilliant choice which for the first time since Christopher Eccleston was cast as the Doctor has me interested (although I didn't like how Eccleston turned out). It's good to have an older actor in the role again and not some pin up like Tennant was and I hope the choice of older actor alienates the Tennant fans (and NuWho fans in general) who now expect the Doctor to be some kind of young poseur always flirting with his companions (which hopefully won't happen with the twelfth Doctor).

Yes let's alienate the fans, what a brilliant idea! :roll:
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby adamwho » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:11 am

Allons-y wrote:
adamwho wrote:Brilliant choice which for the first time since Christopher Eccleston was cast as the Doctor has me interested (although I didn't like how Eccleston turned out). It's good to have an older actor in the role again and not some pin up like Tennant was and I hope the choice of older actor alienates the Tennant fans (and NuWho fans in general) who now expect the Doctor to be some kind of young poseur always flirting with his companions (which hopefully won't happen with the twelfth Doctor).

The casting of an older actor to play the Doctor will sort out the real fans from the shallow fan types who want the Doctor to be some good looking young poseur flirting and falling in love with his companions. It won't be any great loss to loose those fans infact I'll be quite pleased.
adamwho

Postby Allons-y » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:24 am

adamwho wrote:
Allons-y wrote:

The casting of an older actor to play the Doctor will sort out the real fans from the shallow fan types who want the Doctor to be some good looking young poseur flirting and falling in love with his companions. It won't be any great loss to loose those fans infact I'll be quite pleased.

Perhaps, although you'd probably be surprised at just how many people enjoy the new series whilst also enjoying the classic series. I wager that the number of people who "want the Doctor to be some good looking young poseur flirting and falling in love with companions" would actually be quite low. It would be good to do away with the romantic vibe present since 1996, however I think it will take more than an older Doctor, don't forget Pete II's series' will still be mapped out by SM. It'll be a welcome change to have an older Doctor, hopefully SM handles him better than he did Matt.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby tony ingram » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:44 am

adamwho wrote:
Allons-y wrote:

Wuill you be equally pleased when the series is cancelled again after shedding much of the audience which has made it one of the most watched programmes on TV?
tony ingram

Postby adamwho » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:08 pm

tony ingram wrote:Will you be equally pleased when the series is cancelled again after shedding much of the audience which has made it one of the most watched programmes on TV?

Yes I will.

I'll make no secret of the fact that I wish the new series hadn't of happened at all in the way that it did. My hope would be that if it were to get cancelled it'll be because the series is turning into something approaching a good show. If the series gets cancelled after loosing viewers because the lead actor isn't some good looking flirtatious poseur anymore it will be a condemnation of the general audience (which NuWho cares so much about) proving how shallow and small minded they are.

Also when we talk about the series shedding much of the audience lets be honest it'll be the shallow Tennant fan girl types who can't accept an older Doctor so it'll be bitc.. females responsible for getting DW cancelled!
adamwho

Postby tony ingram » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 pm

adamwho wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Will you be equally pleased when the series is cancelled again after shedding much of the audience which has made it one of the most watched programmes on TV?

Yes I will.

I'll make no secret of the fact that I wish the new series hadn't of happened at all in the way that it did. My hope would be that if it were to get cancelled it'll be because the series is turning into something approaching a good show.

Unbelievable... so basically, because you don't like it, it should end? Thanks a lot. I'm not a new fan, and I'm definitely not a Tennant fan, but I love the show right now as much as I did back in the eighties. But apparently, according to you, I shouldn't so it should simply be cancelled again. Great.
tony ingram

Postby chap with wings » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:18 pm

I really don't understand the proprietorial dog in a manger attitude of some fans.
As Peter Capaldi said, the show belongs to us all.
I made no secret of my dislike of Smith, but my wife really likes him, I love McCoy and Colin Baker, that puts me out of step with the majority of fans, I LOVE Tennant and RTD but that hardly makes me a screaming DT fan girl.
We are a very broad church as a fandom, if the current production team or cast are not to your taste then hang on a couple of years as things will change.

chap with wings

Postby Allons-y » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:20 pm

adamwho wrote:

Yes I will.

I'll make no secret of the fact that I wish the new series hadn't of happened at all in the way that it did. My hope would be that if it were to get cancelled it'll be because the series is turning into something approaching a good show. If the series gets cancelled after loosing viewers because the lead actor isn't some good looking flirtatious poseur anymore it will be a condemnation of the general audience (which NuWho cares so much about) proving how shallow and small minded they are.

Also when we talk about the series shedding much of the audience lets be honest it'll be the shallow Tennant fan girl types who can't accept an older Doctor so it'll be bitc.. females responsible for getting DW cancelled!

I've said it before, but caring about it's audience is not something peculiar to new who which can be used as a convenient stick to beat it with, all shows care about their audience - it is good business sense. Opinions aside, the type of model you propose wouldn't last 5 minutes, as it would try to distance and alienate it's viewers.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby Allons-y » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:22 pm

chap with wings wrote:I really don't understand the proprietorial dog in a manger attitude of some fans.
I made no secret of my dislike of Smith, but my wife really likes him, I love McCoy and Colin Baker, that puts me out of step with the majority of fans, I LOVE Tennant and RTD but that hardly makes me a screaming DT fan girl.
We are a very broad church as a fandom, if the current production team or cast are not to your taste then hang on a couple of years as things will change.

Well said Mr Wings!
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby adamwho » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:32 pm

tony ingram wrote:to get cancelled it'll be because the series is turning into something approaching a good show.
Unbelievable... so basically, because you don't like it, it should end? Thanks a lot. I'm not a new fan, and I'm definitely not a Tennant fan, but I love the show right now as much as I did back in the eighties. But apparently, according to you, I shouldn't so it should simply be cancelled again. Great.

You only probably 'love' the show right now because there isn't any televised alternative and its not a matter of I want it to be cancelled just because I don't like it rather I want it to be cancelled because I think the new series is a mockery of the show and I think it would have been better for the legacy of the series if it hadn't of been tarnished by NuWho.
adamwho

Postby adamwho » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:37 pm

chap with wings wrote:I really don't understand the proprietorial dog in a manger attitude of some fans.

Well everyone's preference is different and I also consider myself to be out odds with the majority of fandom however no matter how many times I've tried I can't reconcile myself with the new series. I'm not even saying I would only like NuWho if it was made as some consciously 'dark, surreal and cultish' show (which would be nice) aimed at a small audience I would have been prepared to have liked a modern version of the series aimed at a general audience if I felt it was more challenging and didn't present this smug liberal faux view of the world and instead was more reserved.
adamwho

Next

Return to The Capaldi Era