Private Eye claims "No full series of Doctor Who in 2016"

Re: Ongoing Omni-Rumour Discussion Part 2

Postby FordTimelord » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:02 pm

No more MoffWho in 2016 it would seem.
Cos Sherlock in the spring is filming.
The fans worst nightmare has sprang from the dream.
No more missing episodes will Phil Morris bring.
No more missing episodes, ever again.
FordTimelord

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Private Eye claims "No full series of Doctor Who in 2016

Postby Heccypoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:09 pm

FordTimelord wrote:The reason why Sherlock is bumping Doctor Who from 2016 is that the avaibility of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman has changed, meaning they need to film Sherlock next year.

It's also been suggested elsewhere, that if the BBC were to give Moffat the heave-ho from Doctor Who, then Hartswood Films (run by Moffat's wife (Sue Vertue) and mother-in-law (Beryl Vertue)) could take Sherlock to another broadcaster. ITV has been mentioned.

If that's true, about Hartswood Films, Moffat's a bigger a'hole than I thought... :mrgreen:
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby Heccypoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:11 pm

LizR wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:I hope this isn't true.

Not long now till the return of Doctor Who, which arrives back on screens for the ninth series of its latest incarnation on 19 September.

Fan should make as much as they can of this 12-part run, as BBC staff have recently been informed that showrunner Steven Moffat’s commitments to his other hit show Sherlock mean that there will be no full series of Doctor Who in 2016.

Of course it's true, it's in "Private Eye" :whistle2:

Don't dare mock the great Ian Hislop...
Heccypoo

Postby Monsieur Bondo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:58 pm

mr borusa wrote:
Miss Cathcart wrote:
FordTimelord wrote:
Miss Cathcart wrote:And your source for all this is? Nice to see Fordtimelord is swallowing rumours for a change.

The "no Who in 2016" is from the latest issue of Private Eye magazine who have an OK track record at revealing this sort of thing. The rest is from someone over at Digital Spy, who posted the same info well before Private Eye revealed it (on 17th July 2015). See this thread:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2096622

OK. Point accepted. Now if only Private Eye would announce that 97 missing episodes of Doctor Who have been found.

Series 10 has already been confirmed by the BBC so the info might not be that reliable.

Private Eye says 'No full series' in 2016.

So I guess we'll probably be getting half a dozen or so episodes in 2016 and another half dozen episodes in 2017 like Matt Smiths' last 2 seasons if the private eye article is right.

It shows a certain lack of commitment on Steven Moffat's part if DW is going to be put on hold because of Sherlock, he's trying to juggle too many pies doing both DW and Sherlock, it's not very professional that one show should suffer because he's run into problems on another.

As for missing episodes, we seem to be in one of those troughs again where 'nothing has been found' this week :?
Monsieur Bondo

Postby johnshoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:46 pm

LizR wrote:Maybe they should let Mr Mathieson take over as showrunner (just temporarily, of course).

I had suggested that someone take over for a year on the ME thread. I wouldn't object to Mathieson, although after Moffat I have learned not to set too high an expectation for a new showrunner based on their previous output. ;)
johnshoo

Postby FordTimelord » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:41 pm

Heccypoo wrote:
FordTimelord wrote:The reason why Sherlock is bumping Doctor Who from 2016 is that the avaibility of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman has changed, meaning they need to film Sherlock next year.

It's also been suggested elsewhere, that if the BBC were to give Moffat the heave-ho from Doctor Who, then Hartswood Films (run by Moffat's wife (Sue Vertue) and mother-in-law (Beryl Vertue)) could take Sherlock to another broadcaster. ITV has been mentioned.

If that's true, about Hartswood Films, Moffat's a bigger a'hole than I thought... :mrgreen:

Not only is Sue Vertue's sister Debbie also on the board, the only other director is Moffat himself. If Moffat was hard done by the BBC, no one is going to stand in the way of them taking Sherlock way from the Beeb. So the BBC are going to bend over backwards to accommodate Moffat. They (literally) can't afford another fiasco after what happened with Top Gear.
FordTimelord

Postby J.R. Southall » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Monsieur Bondo wrote:It shows a certain lack of commitment on Steven Moffat's part if DW is going to be put on hold because of Sherlock, he's trying to juggle too many pies doing both DW and Sherlock, it's not very professional that one show should suffer because he's run into problems on another.

I'll repeat this for the benefit of those who missed it last time: the reason the fourth series of Sherlock isn't already in the can has been the availability of the two lead actors. There's no reason, therefore, to believe that pre-production on this has had any impact whatsoever on Doctor Who.

For what it's worth, the reason there was a "gap" year across 2012/2013 had nothing directly to do with Sherlock either.

If anyone actually believes that Steven Moffat met with the BBC earlier this year to outline a five-year plan for Doctor Who, at which meeting the BBC "forgot" to raise the subject of whether Sherlock would impact upon that plan, then they're not thinking straight. If anyone actually believes that Moffat walked out of that meeting and then just a few weeks later turned around to the BBC and told them where to stick their plan, they're not thinking straight.

If there is to be a gap next year, or another split series, it will have been a part of that plan all along. Moffat even said last year that there would be a full series of Doctor Who in each of 2014 and 2015. The inference there is that a split series or gap year in 2016 has always been part of the thinking.

If anyone seriously believes that the BBC would want to remove Moffat from either Doctor Who or Sherlock, given the stratospheric international sales success he's made of both series, then they're not thinking straight.

You might not like what Moffat does with either of those series, but objectively, he's overseeing an unprecedented success with each. That's what the BBC will be focusing on, and whatever plan is going forward is doing so with the best long term interests of Doctor Who in mind.
Postal Avenger!
J.R. Southall

Postby Heccypoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 pm

FordTimelord wrote:
Heccypoo wrote:

If that's true, about Hartswood Films, Moffhack's a bigger a'hole than I thought... :mrgreen:

Not only is Sue Vertue's sister Debbie also on the board, the only other director is Moffat himself. If Moffat was hard done by the BBC, no one is going to stand in the way of them taking Sherlock way from the Beeb. So the BBC are going to bend over backwards to accommodate Moffat. They (literally) can't afford another fiasco after what happened with Top Gear.

But at least Moffat can't take Doctor Who away from the Beeb. That's just as big a money spinner as Sherlock.
Heccypoo

Postby FordTimelord » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:57 pm

J.R. Southall wrote:
Monsieur Bondo wrote:It shows a certain lack of commitment on Steven Moffat's part if DW is going to be put on hold because of Sherlock, he's trying to juggle too many pies doing both DW and Sherlock, it's not very professional that one show should suffer because he's run into problems on another.

I'll repeat this for the benefit of those who missed it last time: the reason the fourth series of Sherlock isn't already in the can has been the availability of the two lead actors. There's no reason, therefore, to believe that pre-production on this has had any impact whatsoever on Doctor Who.

For what it's worth, the reason there was a "gap" year across 2012/2013 had nothing directly to do with Sherlock either.

If anyone actually believes that Steven Moffat met with the BBC earlier this year to outline a five-year plan for Doctor Who, at which meeting the BBC "forgot" to raise the subject of whether Sherlock would impact upon that plan, then they're not thinking straight. If anyone actually believes that Moffat walked out of that meeting and then just a few weeks later turned around to the BBC and told them where to stick their plan, they're not thinking straight.

If there is to be a gap next year, or another split series, it will have been a part of that plan all along. Moffat even said last year that there would be a full series of Doctor Who in each of 2014 and 2015. The inference there is that a split series or gap year in 2016 has always been part of the thinking.

If anyone seriously believes that the BBC would want to remove Moffat from either Doctor Who or Sherlock, given the stratospheric international sales success he's made of both series, then they're not thinking straight.

You might not like what Moffat does with either of those series, but objectively, he's overseeing an unprecedented success with each. That's what the BBC will be focusing on, and whatever plan is going forward is doing so with the best long term interests of Doctor Who in mind.

The reason why Sherlock is bumping Doctor Who from the schedules in 2016 is that the availability of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman has changed, meaning they need to film Sherlock next year. It was originally flagged with the BBC's outgoing head of drama Ben Stephenson, who signed off on resting Doctor Who for a year. Unfortunately, he didn't clear that with anyone else, so Danny Cohen, Charlotte Moore and BBC Worldwide are now up in arms about about it.

The BBC won't sack Moffat because Hartswood Films who produce Sherlock is run by Moffat's wife, her sister. and Moffat's mother-in-law. Moffat himself is also a director of the firm. If Moffat is treated badly then Hartswood could easily take Sherlock elsewhere. ITV is a possibility. The BBC can't afford another fiasco like Top Gear, so will bend over backwards to accommodate Moffat. Hence the delay in series 10 of NuWho.
FordTimelord

Postby Nosey Neighbour » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:12 pm

J.R. Southall wrote:

And not to forget that the good Doctor himself, Peter Capaldi, is also a quality actor who is much in demand.
Nosey Neighbour

Postby FordTimelord » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Nosey Neighbour wrote:And not to forget that the good Doctor himself, Peter Capaldi, is also a quality actor who is much in demand.

Apparently Capaldi wants a break to rest for a bit so that's another reason why 2016 is Who-lite.
FordTimelord

Postby FordTimelord » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:25 pm

Hearing a few specials in the second half of next year. Series 10 in Spring 2017.
FordTimelord

Postby Nosey Neighbour » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:07 pm

FordTimelord wrote:
Nosey Neighbour wrote:And not to forget that the good Doctor himself, Peter Capaldi, is also a quality actor who is much in demand.

Apparently Capaldi wants a break to rest for a bit so that's another reason why 2016 is Who-lite.

Cheers Fordy - quite the opposite of what I'd suggested :)
Nosey Neighbour

Postby J.R. Southall » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Just think about this for a minute. Moffat's in charge of the two biggest series on the BBC. He must be getting offers on an almost daily basis to do what he wants, where he wants and for whatever budget he names. He turned down a major film series to take the Doctor Who job, and he's turned Doctor Who from something that was doing moderately well overseas into something that's a spectacular success.

And the BBC want to get rid of him so they can replace him with...?
Postal Avenger!
J.R. Southall

Postby FordTimelord » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:49 pm

J.R. Southall wrote:

Just think about this for a minute. Moffat's in charge of the two biggest series on the BBC. He must be getting offers on an almost daily basis to do what he wants, where he wants and for whatever budget he names. He turned down a major film series to take the Doctor Who job, and he's turned Doctor Who from something that was doing moderately well overseas into something that's a spectacular success.

They would like Chris Chibnall to have a go but he's not interested, what with Broadchurch doing so well.
FordTimelord

Postby StarQuake » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:03 pm

I seem to recall Phil Morris saying that Anthony Horowitz was poised to step into the Moff's Doctor Who shoes some time ago...
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby The Nimon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:39 pm

FordTimelord wrote:
J.R. Southall wrote:

They would like Chris Chibnall to have a go but he's not interested, what with Broadchurch doing so well.

Thank heavens for that. I'd rather have a gap year ;)
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby J.R. Southall » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:19 pm

FordTimelord wrote:They would like Chris Chibnall to have a go but he's not interested, what with Broadchurch doing so well.

I asked him before Broadchurch was broadcast, and he wasn't interested then either.
Postal Avenger!
J.R. Southall

Postby iank » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:51 pm

Chibnall? Really? That hack is the Beeb's preferred replacement?

Jesus, just put this show out of my misery. :cry:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:39 am

StarQuake wrote:I seem to recall Phil Morris saying that Anthony Horowitz was poised to step into the Moff's Doctor Who shoes some time ago...

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!

Seriously?
“The old maxim rendered true — there is never someone more socialist than a wealthy capitalist in a time of crisis” — Sir Roger Douglas

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

PreviousNext

Return to The Capaldi Era