Capaldi's Leaving

Re: Capaldi's Leaving

Postby Darren Lake » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:05 pm

jezt42 wrote:Will be sad to see Peter Capaldi go. His Doctor is/was edgy and dangerous, not unlike Tom's Doctor.

As for his successor, how about Damian Lewis, Patterson Joseph or even Miriam Margolyes?! Miriam might need someone to do the running down corridors bit, though... :)

Damian Lewis would be okay, Paterson Joseph is a terrible actor and Miriam Margolyes is female and as we all know the Doctor is male. Only a complete turnip would have a Timelord regenerate into a Timelady.
Darren Lake

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby bobmcpherson » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:33 pm

I am currently watching Lewis in HOMELAND and I just do not see him as the Doctor. Hell I just don't see him as much of an actor period.
bobmcpherson

Postby mr borusa » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:22 pm

iank wrote:Indeed. I've lost count of the people who seem to think Moffat will get to shaft Chibnall by casting a dead duck Doctor, despite RTD having zero input into Smith's casting when this scenario last unfolded. It's all very odd.

This moffat is though, he's got have his input in anything Doctor Who related. I can't imagine anything other than moffat wanting his say, weather he is allowed to though is a different matter.
Binro was right.
mr borusa

Postby mr borusa » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 pm

Amyiszygon wrote:Also don't know how real this is but interesting if true, rumours are also circulating around internet that new Doctor has already been cast by BBC and it's Andy Zaltzman : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Zaltzman

image.jpeg

He looks more like a classic series doctor.
Binro was right.
mr borusa

Postby Cygnus Prime » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:41 am

mr borusa wrote:
Amyiszygon wrote:Also don't know how real this is but interesting if true, rumours are also circulating around internet that new Doctor has already been cast by BBC and it's Andy Zaltzman : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Zaltzman

image.jpeg

I know it's just a coincidence, but Andy Zaltzman has the same initials as Amy Zygon, who first mentioned it!

Just saying! :lol:
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JustGareth » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:00 am

Cygnus Prime wrote:
mr borusa wrote:

image.jpeg

I know it's just a coincidence, but Andy Zaltzman has the same initials as Amy Zygon, who first mentioned it!

:lol: You and your conspiracy theories! :D
"So I guess this is just how things are going to work now: the president once saw a banana with a bruise that looked like a picture in an article he read in a dream, and that is why we're at f*****g war..." John Oliver
JustGareth

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 am

Saw the paper reviews and The Sun reckons that Capaldi was pushed out due to falling ratings.

The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby Cygnus Prime » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:51 am

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby torchwood » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:17 am

This sucks. We haven't had a TV Doctor since 1980 who wasn't eclipsed and outlived by the show runner.

What a waste.
torchwood

Postby Amyiszygon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:15 am

JustGareth wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote:
mr borusa wrote:

image.jpeg

Is it though ? ;)
Amyiszygon

Postby JustGareth » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:38 am

Amyiszygon wrote:
JustGareth wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote:I know it's just a coincidence, but Andy Zaltzman has the same initials as Amy Zygon, who first mentioned it!

Is it though ? ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"So I guess this is just how things are going to work now: the president once saw a banana with a bruise that looked like a picture in an article he read in a dream, and that is why we're at f*****g war..." John Oliver
JustGareth

Postby Nosey Neighbour » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:29 am

The casting of the latest companion does not instil much confidence in me that they will get it right with the next Doctor either.

Hopefully it will be down to the new Production team which offers some hope.

No gimmick Doctor please, just another bloody good actor.
Nosey Neighbour

Postby paulhickling » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Capaldi should have been the most different Doctor since Eccleston, and totally his own. When he took the role we all knew he was a Pertwee fan, and was a true Who nerd back in that actor's period bombarding the show's production office with studio visit requests and all sorts. This gave me hope of a serious Doctor at last, as Pertwee was also 'my' Doctor.

Pertwee was very much his own Doctor. Not another Troughton copy (one of the greatest ever of course, but stop copying him!), which many of them take their comic-led performances from (yep, even the great Tom Baker). He took it as seriously as the show and character allows, and therefore stressed the adventure rather than the comedy. His series wasn't without it's whimsy, but it was an ingredient not all-important. But going from Troughton to Pertwee then to Tom gave more contrast.

I love the Capaldi of Into the Dalek in his first series, where he talks to the intruder at the start like she's invaded his private sanctuary. It looked as if he was going to deliver in slightly more serious stakes. But there were already moments where the director/writer/showrunner thought he needed to be more like his predecessor, later the same year. In Flatline, he jumps out of the Tardis to yell at the creatures that our world is protected etc., very much in the 'interplanetary crusader' mode of his idol, but it was considerably softer. And later in Time Heist he jumps about like Matt Smith, right after an impressive bit of acting on his knees in front of the monster. He's an older actor! Don't insist on him doing the light Matt Smith stuff! Heaven Sent was a step in the right direction. Having him run around in Davros' chair like Tom Baker might've done, I'm not so sure.

They need to contrast each of the lead actors, whereas the production bosses seem to think they all have to have the same balance of comedy. I once read that whenever David Tennant did multiple takes, they always went for the goofiest, as opposed to the most dramatic.

Capaldi had bags of potential. Moffat and co just decided he wouldn't fulfill it. Shame.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby thecypher » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Cygnus Prime wrote:
Bowtiesarecool wrote:Saw the paper reviews and The Sun reckons that Capaldi was pushed out due to falling ratings.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2753635/did-bbc-force-out-peter-capaldi-as-doctor-who-ratings-slump-from-complex-plots-unpopular-baddies-and-8pm-x-factor-slot-being-too-late-for-kids/

Yes, the ratings have been falling...but that's not because of the acting.
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
thecypher

Postby shuzbot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:50 pm

De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Nosey Neighbour » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:47 pm

paulhickling wrote:Capaldi should have been the most different Doctor since Eccleston, and totally his own. When he took the role we all knew he was a Pertwee fan, and was a true Who nerd back in that actor's period bombarding the show's production office with studio visit requests and all sorts. This gave me hope of a serious Doctor at last, as Pertwee was also 'my' Doctor.

Pertwee was very much his own Doctor. Not another Troughton copy (one of the greatest ever of course, but stop copying him!), which many of them take their comic-led performances from (yep, even the great Tom Baker). He took it as seriously as the show and character allows, and therefore stressed the adventure rather than the comedy. His series wasn't without it's whimsy, but it was an ingredient not all-important. But going from Troughton to Pertwee then to Tom gave more contrast.

I love the Capaldi of Into the Dalek in his first series, where he talks to the intruder at the start like she's invaded his private sanctuary. It looked as if he was going to deliver in slightly more serious stakes. But there were already moments where the director/writer/showrunner thought he needed to be more like his predecessor, later the same year. In Flatline, he jumps out of the Tardis to yell at the creatures that our world is protected etc., very much in the 'interplanetary crusader' mode of his idol, but it was considerably softer. And later in Time Heist he jumps about like Matt Smith, right after an impressive bit of acting on his knees in front of the monster. He's an older actor! Don't insist on him doing the light Matt Smith stuff! Heaven Sent was a step in the right direction. Having him run around in Davros' chair like Tom Baker might've done, I'm not so sure.

They need to contrast each of the lead actors, whereas the production bosses seem to think they all have to have the same balance of comedy. I once read that whenever David Tennant did multiple takes, they always went for the goofiest, as opposed to the most dramatic.

Capaldi had bags of potential. Moffat and co just decided he wouldn't fulfill it. Shame.

Great post :)
Nosey Neighbour

Postby Miss Cathcart » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:43 pm

The Radio Times has reported that Chris Chibnall hasn't even begun to think about Doctor Who even though it's been a whole year and more (22 January 2016) since he was announced as the new showrunner: too busy working on the third series of Broadchurch, after which he is taking a holiday, apparently. I find this hard to believe. This suggests the new Doctor won't be cast until the autumn, with series 12 filming from Spring 2018, and that means an autumn 2018 debut on screen. A long time.
Miss Cathcart

Postby -JMW- » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Stephen Moffat has provided the interesting, and varied in terms of stories, writers and directors during his tenure.
The stories to my mind have, for the most part, been involving and enjoyable...and occasionally infuriating (isn't that a wonderful challenge to one's own perception of the show though).

There have been strands running through particular series and the show as a whole, singular stories, multiple episode stories, new and interesting "monsters" with distinguishing abilities (rather than nothing but moustache twirling "take over the world/galaxy/universe); there have been nods to previous incarnations of the show as-well as new twists on old ideas; There has been comedy, tension, fantasy, the epic, the parody, the self-contained, the spiritual, the scientific, the modern, the archival, nods to current social and political concerns and out and out nonsense....

With Matt Smith we had a vibrant Doctor, who IMO seems right for the role (albeit not quite reaching full mystically-wise potential or up to the qualities of Tennant), but unfortunately and despite the hearts desires of fandom on his announcement...Capaldi's Doctor has not quite lived up to expectation. I don't believe it's all down to writing (Yes, Moffat does make a scapegoat for some here who want a particular version of the show transmitted from their psyche), but rather persona.
On occasion he has been very intense (the finale of the Zygon story) and sometimes his dry and deprecating wit has been amusing (The Caretaker, Robot of Sherwood), but overall I have found his style to be "grey", overly dependant on mimicry of past Doctor performances and overshadowed by those around him....which it should rarely be. Not nearly extrovert or eccentric enough (despite the attempt during the Tank scene). Maybe he needed an extravagant prop like the sixth Doctor's coat to prod him towards the less mundane.
I enjoyed the Capaldi/Moffat era, but I was never grasped by the lapels by the Doctor's persona...

Unfortunately the propagation of seemingly comedic allies in the upcoming series do not instil me with confidence regarding his departure. I normally enjoy the odd overtly comedic episode (Nordle/Nootle/Nortle(?) was fine as a one-off), and the fantasy of a Christmas episode - but the last Xmas ep left me cold, as does the prospect of moving in this direction for an entire run of episodes.

The up side is that it might positively surprise.
The other up side is that next year it's all change again - exciting!!!

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby shuzbot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:40 pm

De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby thecypher » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:52 pm

-JMW- wrote:Stephen Moffat has provided the interesting, and varied in terms of stories, writers and directors during his tenure.
The stories to my mind have, for the most part, been involving and enjoyable...and occasionally infuriating (isn't that a wonderful challenge to one's own perception of the show though).

There have been strands running through particular series and the show as a whole, singular stories, multiple episode stories, new and interesting "monsters" with distinguishing abilities (rather than nothing but moustache twirling "take over the world/galaxy/universe); there have been nods to previous incarnations of the show as-well as new twists on old ideas; There has been comedy, tension, fantasy, the epic, the parody, the self-contained, the spiritual, the scientific, the modern, the archival, nods to current social and political concerns and out and out nonsense....

With Matt Smith we had a vibrant Doctor, who IMO seems right for the role (albeit not quite reaching full mystically-wise potential or up to the qualities of Tennant), but unfortunately and despite the hearts desires of fandom on his announcement...Capaldi's Doctor has not quite lived up to expectation. I don't believe it's all down to writing (Yes, Moffat does make a scapegoat for some here who want a particular version of the show transmitted from their psyche), but rather persona.
On occasion he has been very intense (the finale of the Zygon story) and sometimes his dry and deprecating wit has been amusing (The Caretaker, Robot of Sherwood), but overall I have found his style to be "grey", overly dependant on mimicry of past Doctor performances and overshadowed by those around him....which it should rarely be. Not nearly extrovert or eccentric enough (despite the attempt during the Tank scene). Maybe he needed an extravagant prop like the sixth Doctor's coat to prod him towards the less mundane.
I enjoyed the Capaldi/Moffat era, but I was never grasped by the lapels by the Doctor's persona...

Unfortunately the propagation of seemingly comedic allies in the upcoming series do not instil me with confidence regarding his departure. I normally enjoy the odd overtly comedic episode (Nordle/Nootle/Nortle(?) was fine as a one-off), and the fantasy of a Christmas episode - but the last Xmas ep left me cold, as does the prospect of moving in this direction for an entire run of episodes.

The up side is that it might positively surprise.
The other up side is that next year it's all change again - exciting!!!

Interesting post. I noticed a definite shift in the atmosphere of the show from Series 4 to Series 5. It suddenly felt renewed, magical - and exciting. I was only 10 when I saw the Series 5 trailer on the (then new) Doctor Who website (which can still be found on the Wayback Machine). In spite of my age, I still grew up with Eccleston and Tennant. They were my Doctors, ya know? Moffat's new Doctor Who didn't seem as interesting. I gradually grew to hate Doctor Who over the following few years up to now, when my caring for the show has basically died.

I must disagree with your criticism of Capaldi's portrayal. Capaldi has shown an ability to play both serious, and fun roles (Cardinal in Musketeers and Malcolm Tucker). Series 8 Capaldi is what his Doctor was supposed to be. 11 was the extrovert, 12 is the introvert. Series 9 tried to turn his Doctor into an extrovert, and I feel this has diminished his character and presence. The Return of Doctor Pissterio showed that The Doctor was no longer the centre of his own show, in the same way Clara basically took over Series 8. Series 10 shows no signs that The Doctor is going to become introverted again, which I feel is a shame.

I would have wrote Capaldi very differently. In the episode he is an introvert, he IS The Doctor. As an extrovert, he is a joke. Matt Smith managed to pull off the introvert-extrovert thing, but Capaldi just can't. It doesn't work for his Doctor. I do not feel this is Capaldi's fault. His character just wasn't written very well, and neither were the episodes in which he starred. I just hope Big Finish picks up Capaldi's Doctor if their license is extended to cover the 12th Doctor's era. Colin Baker got a second chance, as should Capaldi.

As for Series 11 in 2018...well, I hope Chibby Wibs can salvage this dying show. If not...hold on, is that Michael Grade over there?
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
thecypher

PreviousNext

Return to The Capaldi Era