New Doctor announced on Sunday

James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

ericthehalfabee wrote:
Doctor Who filming SUSPENDED as new Timelord can’t park Tardis
http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/doc ... rk-tardis/

:lol:
Don't laugh as we can expect such otherwise harmless (if unimaginative) social media 'quips' to be meticulously recorded to be used later by the righteous as traumatising 'proof' of all the old favourites such as 'sexism', 'patriarchy', etc, etc

Can't wait. Hopefully Chibbers won't wade into this for a bit of timely virtue-signalling though as we don't want his attention diverted from writing those (much hoped for) better scripts!

:(
Jambo

I logged on to Mondas today to enjoy the predictable outrage, tears and hissy-fit flouncing (I'm done with Who, etc) and boy-oh-boy Modas did NOT disappoint! Thank you for an entertaining and laugh out loud read.

Doctor Who is all about change, and yet it's fanbase seems to be predominantly anti-change – it's a fitting paradox.

Looking forward 13! :jo:
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

ericthehalfabee wrote:
shuzbot wrote:Image
Ha. Fair point.
Remember that bit where River Song tells the Doctor that he has had the handbrake on all that time and that's why the Tardis makes the groaning sound? Horrible retconn, cos that means so does the master and every other time lord we have met.
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
ericthehalfabee

shuzbot wrote:
ericthehalfabee wrote:
shuzbot wrote:Image
Ha. Fair point.
Remember that bit where River Song tells the Doctor that he has had the handbrake on all that time and that's why the Tardis makes the groaning sound? Horrible retconn, cos that means so does the master and every other time lord we have met.
Damn, I do remember that, despite trying to forget every scene River Song was ever in.

Ah well, back to the monastery to begin my training again.
James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Jambo wrote:I logged on to Mondas today to enjoy the predictable outrage, tears and hissy-fit flouncing (I'm done with Who, etc) and boy-oh-boy Modas did NOT disappoint! Thank you for an entertaining and laugh out loud read.

Doctor Who is all about change, and yet it's fanbase seems to be predominantly anti-change – it's a fitting paradox
....not when folk's opinions naturally differ on precisely what can and indeed should be changed.

Indeed, I'm sure most fans would be opposed to retiring the venerable, iconic old police box exterior for the Tardis....but the show's "all about change" so why couldn't it became a battered Sinclair C5 with a squeaky wheel instead?! Why indeed.

Come on, that's a disengenous argument for advocating any and all change, without reservation (lest unmerited accusations of paradoxical behaviour abound!)....
'teleportNOW!'

Darren Lake wrote:So do we start calling the lead character ‘The Nurse’ now?
It'll be Julian Bravo next!
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

thecypher wrote:Guys, I've just nipped into the future.. :D

Can you do that with the Omni-Rumour? :D
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Bowtiesarecool wrote:
thecypher wrote:Guys, I've just nipped into the future.. :D

u

Can you do that with the Omni-Rumour? :D
I guess he can do anything, clearly been all powerful
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

:lol:
johnshoo

James-S wrote:
johnshoo wrote:Even if that's the case it all comes back on the writers to sort it out and tell good stories.
Yes but the writers will be all too aware (unless they're terminally naive) of certain creatively restrictive 'pressures', nay impediments now prevelant from certain quarters when devising female/ethnic minority characters - especially a character as iconic as the Doctor...
Okay. But so what? It's still on them to tell a good story, whether they adhere to those pressures or choose to ignore them.
The temptation to write Jodie's Doctor as a 'Gurl Powah' infused badass with essentially no shortcomings or imperfections whatsoever (or relatable likability for that matter) must be immense given the assured 'perils' of the alternative (I.e. Making her a compelling, three dimensional character - which would necessitate the incorporation of negative character traits obviously)
That's a possibility, just like the Moffat Doctors have been overgrown Harry Potters. Again, it's all on the writers' shoulders.
I mean, if the writing is bad then the writing is bad. If the argument is that "woman casted in role means writing will necessarily be bad" then I think we must agree to disagree.
Hmm, I'm not sure where those quotation marks came from as that's certainly not a quote I recognise or indeed authored! I was merely acknowledging the often overlooked pressures of getting a mainstream female fictional characters 'right', and the consequences of failing to do so in these perilously offence-taking times in which we sadly live.
The quotes are my summation of what I'm reading as the argument: That the Doctor can't be cast with a female actor because it will make the writing poor (due to pressures either internal or external to make the show a PC wonderland or something to that effect). Feel free to correct me, but your above statement seems to validate that I more or less understood it correctly.
The point I'm making then is that bad stories might well turn out be bad precisely because of the above considerations, pressures, restrictions, impedements whatever you want to call them, of which are not applicable to most to white/male/heterosexual characters. Currently hypothetical in Who's case of course but certainly worth considering.
My reply is still that those decisions fall on the writers and not on the casting of a female actor as the Doctor.
Otherwise I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
Well the structure of my arguments are grammatically solid and my narrative, sufficiently lucid so perhaps that's more your problem than mine....
I mean, I got it correct though as far as I can tell. So...
JustGareth

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I think JW is a great pick for the Doctor! Hopefully the changes don't stop there...
"So I guess this is just how things are going to work now: the president once saw a banana with a bruise that looked like a picture in an article he read in a dream, and that is why we're at f*****g war..." John Oliver
iank

What a clusterfuck joke.
I'm struggling to see this as anything other than an utter joke and the end of the program. So it turns out that Chinballs' idea of "bold and radical" was to cut the lead character's balls off... while the rest of the show will no doubt remain the same tired New Who cookie-cutter crap.

I'm trying to see the positive in this, I really am. And maybe if this was classic Who and we were in the hands of some creative genius, I might be able to. But this is New Who and its the man who wrote Cyberwoman.
The show is an international laughing stock today. :floorroll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Tobias Vaughan

KINGSTON FRIZZ wrote:Can someone give a legit argument as to why this is wrong that is not based is sexism? Honest question.
For a start it completely ruined my enjoyment of TMS when they announced it today during what was already a bad days play!
I saw 'The Purge, Election Year' last night, I couldn't make out whether it was fiction or a party political broadcast on behalf of the Republican party...
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

JustGareth wrote:Well, I don't know about anyone else...

No need to wonder, you can just read everybody's posts :P
James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

JustGareth wrote:Well, I don't know about anyone else but I think JW is a great pick for the Doctor! Hopefully the changes don't stop there...
Genuine question: what further changes would you like to see?

P.S. I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight or anything!
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Tobias Vaughan wrote:
KINGSTON FRIZZ wrote:Can someone give a legit argument as to why this is wrong that is not based is sexism? Honest question.
For a start it completely ruined my enjoyment of TMS when they announced it today during what was already a bad days play!
Just think how happy you will be when England chase down the 470 plus runs they need to win by lunchtime on the final day.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Braxiatel

iank wrote:What a clusterfuck joke.
I'm struggling to see this as anything other than an utter joke and the end of the program. So it turns out that Chinballs' idea of "bold and radical" was to cut the lead character's balls off... while the rest of the show will no doubt remain the same tired New Who cookie-cutter crap.

I'm trying to see the positive in this, I really am. And maybe if this was classic Who and we were in the hands of some creative genius, I might be able to. But this is New Who and its the man who wrote Cyberwoman.
The show is an international laughing stock today. :floorroll:
Hold me, iank.

*Cries like a young Sterling Archer*
JustGareth

shuzbot wrote:
JustGareth wrote:Well, I don't know about anyone else...

No need to wonder, you can just read everybody's posts :P
:lol: Just a turn of phrase, Shuz :D
"So I guess this is just how things are going to work now: the president once saw a banana with a bruise that looked like a picture in an article he read in a dream, and that is why we're at f*****g war..." John Oliver
Hartnell's Wig

Hate the idea, as it's PC box ticking of the worst kind, but I'm not going to harp on about it or post bollocks about the actress or show runner.

I did, however, suggest that all those fans trying to think of a nickname for Chibnall along the lines of Moff or RTD should just call him Chris c*nt and have done with it.

My last word on the subject is that it is an ex programme. It has ceased to exist.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!

Return to “The Whittaker Era”

• Information