Moffat reveals Doctor Who almost ended after Tennent left...

Re: Moffat reveals Doctor Who almost ended after Tennent lef

Postby Kajaboy » Thu May 29, 2014 8:06 am

Tanlee wrote:I meant they should've started New Who in 2005 from the premise that the whole JNT era never happened and is no longer canon, therefore the 4th Doctor never regenerated into Davison and is still around as the Doctor.

Had they started on that basis I'm afraid it would have meant that the new series wasn't canon.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby tony ingram » Thu May 29, 2014 8:08 am

Kajaboy wrote:
Tanlee wrote:I meant they should've started New Who in 2005 from the premise that the whole JNT era never happened and is no longer canon, therefore the 4th Doctor never regenerated into Davison and is still around as the Doctor.

Had they started on that basis I'm afraid it would have meant that the new series wasn't canon.

As far as Tanlee is concerned, nothing after about 1980 should be canon, anyway. It's rather sad.
tony ingram

Postby Allons-y » Thu May 29, 2014 8:44 am

Tanlee wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:The 4th Doctor regenerated in 1981. Tennant was 10 years old and Smith hadn't even been born.

I meant they should've started New Who in 2005 from the premise that the whole JNT era never happened and is no longer canon, therefore the 4th Doctor never regenerated into Davison and is still around as the Doctor.

And 99% of fans would've never watch it, what a ridiculous idea. I for one like the way it's gone down, sure we've had a dud Doctor (Smith), but even then he wasn't that bad and we also had another who was pretty good (Eccleston) and the best Doctor we've had as well (Tennant), so all in all it was for the best.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby tony ingram » Thu May 29, 2014 9:12 am

Allons-y wrote:And 99% of fans would've never watch it, what a ridiculous idea. I for one like the way it's gone down, sure we've had a dud Doctor (Smith), but even then he wasn't that bad and we also had another who was pretty good (Eccleston) and the best Doctor we've had as well (Tennant), so all in all it was for the best.
I think you have inadvertently typed "Smith" where you clearly meant "Tennant", and vice-versa. Smith was far from being a dud Doctor. And the results of DWM's readers poll this month (in which he came second only to Tom Baker) seem to bear that out.

Of course, they inexplicably placed Tennant third, above Patrick Troughton, but maybe that was a typo.
tony ingram

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Thu May 29, 2014 9:20 am

Well to be fair. they've probably never actually SEEN any Troughton. Or not very much.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Allons-y » Thu May 29, 2014 9:27 am

tony ingram wrote:
Allons-y wrote:And 99% of fans would've never watch it, what a ridiculous idea. I for one like the way it's gone down, sure we've had a dud Doctor (Smith), but even then he wasn't that bad and we also had another who was pretty good (Eccleston) and the best Doctor we've had as well (Tennant), so all in all it was for the best.
I think you have inadvertently typed "Smith" where you clearly meant "Tennant", and vice-versa. Smith was far from being a dud Doctor. And the results of DWM's readers poll this month (in which he came second only to Tom Baker) seem to bear that out.

Of course, they inexplicably placed Tennant third, above Patrick Troughton, but maybe that was a typo.

No I did not, Smith was easily the worst Doctor since 2005.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby tony ingram » Thu May 29, 2014 9:28 am

For those who are interested, the main (not all) results of the poll are here: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-top-st ... -63506.htm
tony ingram

Postby tony ingram » Thu May 29, 2014 9:30 am

Allons-y wrote:
tony ingram wrote:

It's a shame when dementia sets in so early...

Smith was easily the best Doctor since 1981. And I sauy that as someone who loved McGann, McCoy and Colin Baker.
tony ingram

Postby Allons-y » Thu May 29, 2014 9:39 am

tony ingram wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
tony ingram wrote:

It's a shame when dementia sets in so early...

Smith was easily the best Doctor since 1981. And I sauy that as someone who loved McGann, McCoy and Colin Baker.

It is a shame, you should get yours seen to. He was probably the worst since Colin, Tennant was the best since (and slightly better than) Tom
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby tony ingram » Thu May 29, 2014 9:44 am

Now I know you're demented. The whole world knows no Doctor was ever better than Tom. Least of all the mockney idiot.
tony ingram

Postby The Nimon » Thu May 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Kajaboy wrote:

And just think of the fan moaning too
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby iank » Thu May 29, 2014 10:50 pm

I agree with Tanlee. It would certainly have made New Who easier to just completely ignore and decanonise. :lol:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby tony ingram » Thu May 29, 2014 11:31 pm

I wishg we could simply "ignore and decanonise" the tedious irritants who have nothing better to do than slag off a great series because they're too thick to appreciate it.
tony ingram

Postby iank » Fri May 30, 2014 2:35 am

You mean like you with the RTD era (which, in truth, was little different to your precious Moffat era (except maybe not quite as bad in the long run).

But of course, that's different, right? :roll: :lol:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby King_Priam » Fri May 30, 2014 6:13 am

The Nimon wrote:Tennant was a bit over blown by the fan girls.

:shock:
King_Priam

Postby The Krynoid Man » Fri May 30, 2014 6:35 am

tony ingram wrote:Smith was easily the best Doctor since 1981. And I sauy that as someone who loved McGann, McCoy and Colin Baker.

I would put Smith above Baker and Tennant but below Davison, McCoy, McGann and Eccelston. Not that I dislike Smith it's just that I prefer the other 4 over him.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby tony ingram » Fri May 30, 2014 8:02 am

The Krynoid man wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Smith was easily the best Doctor since 1981. And I sauy that as someone who loved McGann, McCoy and Colin Baker.

I would put Smith above Baker and Tennant but below Davison, McCoy, McGann and Eccelston. Not that I dislike Smith it's just that I prefer the other 4 over him.
I always thought Davison was too young for the part. Yes, Smith was slighty younger, but he acted older. Plus, Davison's performance was...how can I put this diplomatically...often a little too understated for me.
tony ingram

Postby Heccypoo » Fri May 30, 2014 8:22 am

tony ingram wrote:
The Krynoid man wrote:

I always thought Davison was too young for the part. Yes, Smith was slighty younger, but he acted older. Plus, Davison's performance was...how can I put this diplomatically...often a little too understated for me.

I think, coming after Tom Baker, and to be different, the actor had to be understated. Tom got stuck at being a huge performance (though I did enjoy it sometimes).

I've not seen many of Tom Baker's other roles, but I did love him in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, playing the villain Koura.
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby Roland Perteev » Fri May 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Heccypoo wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
The Krynoid man wrote:

I think, coming after Tom Baker, and to be different, the actor had to be understated. Tom got stuck at being a huge performance (though I did enjoy it sometimes).

I've not seen many of Tom Baker's other roles, but I did love him in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, playing the villain Koura.

I liked Davison. I think Eric Saward summed him up pretty well - not especially alien, and easily the most human Doctor to date, but he made up for it by being a very good actor (unlike certain other human-acting Doctors).

That said I also agree that Matt Smith is the best Doctor since 1981, and to end on Tennant's departure would have been a sad, sad, prdictable thing, roughly equivalent to finding your crack-addicted daughter dead in a ditch. So I am raising a rare glass to RTD for fighting for the show to continue.
Take them to the security kitchen!
Roland Perteev

Postby tony ingram » Fri May 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Roland Perteev wrote:I also agree that Matt Smith is the best Doctor since 1981, and to end on Tennant's departure would have been a sad, sad, prdictable thing, roughly equivalent to finding your crack-addicted daughter dead in a ditch.
Does that happen to you a lot, then? :shock:
tony ingram

PreviousNext

Return to The Tennant Era