The Professionals (1977)

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Re: thread on the professionals

Postby Kajaboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:06 am

ianj wrote:Yes but Lewis Collins' trouser bulges will be in sharper focus, won't they?

My, my that man was a dish.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: thread on the professionals

Postby OptikaNET » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:11 pm

feline1 wrote:I have to confess I really enjoy the Professionals - and I've been delighted at hints from Network that they're finally gonna bring them out on BluRay, re-scanned from the original film negs etc etc.

As with any serial, there's risible episodes and plots which make no sense, but most the crack along a good yarn, and it's very entertaining. The acting's usually pretty good and you get endless turns by well-known British actors (William Russel... Harold Innocent... Pamela Salem...David Collings... and a gazillion more I can't remember off the top of my head, but they'd come back to me.....) They're generally well shot and directed (you get people like Douglas Camfield doing a turn... and another fella who did the Goldeneye James Bond) and people like Dennis Spooner writing/script editing.

The music is also BLOODY MARVELLOUS. 8-)

It's not high drama, it's not deep and meaningful - but it's great telly entertainment, and also a marvellous time capsule of social attidues in the Britain in the late 70s/early80s

I'm a little confused; I heard that when LWT (or was it Thames?) lost their broadcast licence to Carlton and closed down, they dumped all their product into a skip and so the original masters of "The Professionals" were lost, and when they released them on VHS they had to do so from shibaden copies that someone had retained.

Was this all bollocks?

Where are these negatives from?

Kind Regards
Dave
OptikaNET

The Professionals Series 1 out on BluRay

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:58 am

Well, yet again, Network have proved all those squee-lord Omni-no-nauts who said there was "no point" in putting 16mm filmed shows on BluRay to be UTTER IDIOTS,
as Bodie & Doyle have had their first 13 episodes unleashed on BluRay.

It looks GORGEOUS! It sounds awesome (5.1 mix as well as original mono). A total treat.

Such an enjoyable series. Total nonsense, but brilliant watchable action fun, tons of great acting. Love it!
'teleportNOW!'

Re: The Professionals Series 1 out on BluRay

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:54 pm

And now Season 2 is out! YEO!!!!!!!!

Of course, nobody will buy it because they should've released individual episodes on DVD, rather than BluRay season boxsets, am I right? :floorroll:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby The Nimon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:57 pm

What are you going on about? :?
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby ianj » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm

feline1 wrote:Well, yet again, Network have proved all those squee-lord Omni-no-nauts who said there was "no point" in putting 16mm filmed shows on BluRay to be UTTER IDIOTS,
as Bodie & Doyle have had their first 13 episodes unleashed on BluRay.

It looks GORGEOUS! It sounds awesome (5.1 mix as well as original mono). A total treat.

Such an enjoyable series. Total nonsense, but brilliant watchable action fun, tons of great acting. Love it!

I know he's gorgeous; always was a HOT man- Ive always had the hots for Bodie when I was......
those tight trousers. You know the episode
oh.
You're talking about those blue ray thingies. .
I can watch it on itv4 :)
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:38 am

it looks like total sh1t on ITV.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby ianj » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:39 pm

feline1 wrote:it looks like total sh1t on ITV.

I'm only eyeing up Bodie. Then something comes up. Ive never seen an episode right through lol
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:27 am

Season 3 is out now - Network are really cranking these out (every 6 months).... another 13 episodes of glorious re-scanned from the original negatives 16mm malarkey on BluRay.
Douglas Camfield directed another one in this series, I believe.
If only all vintage TV was released with this level of care.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Heccypoo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:03 am

Network has released a compilation of Gerry Anderson shows.

They've got a couple of Thunderbirds episodes on them and they look amazing.

And they're not cropped like the box set that was released in 2010.

Hoping Network will be releasing the full series of all Gerry Anderson's stuff on blu ray soon..
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Hopefully network will be releasing EVERYTHING soon :floorroll:

In the past 5 years they've basically become the gold standard for archive telly releases. (Before that, they just shovelled 'em out with little restoration...)
Now they don't bother unless they can go back to original film negs or PAL tapes.
'teleportNOW!'

Re: The Professionals (1977)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Bodie and Doyle, top agents for Britain's CI5 (Criminal Intelligence 5), and their controller, George Cowley fight terrorism and similar high-profile crimes. Cowley, a hard ex-MI5 operative, hand-picked each of his men. Bodie was a cynical ex-SAS paratrooper and mercenary whose nature ran to controlled violence, while his partner, Doyle, came to CI5 from the regular police force, and was more of an open minded liberal. Their relationship was often contentious, but they were the top men in their field, and the ones to whom Cowley always assigned to the toughest cases.

The Professionals intro with Cowley (Gordon Jackson) speaking

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers