Callan

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Callan

Postby Servorobot » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:35 pm

Dr Scott's new favourite show and why not, it's brilliant.

I remember first watching Callan when I was a kid. It was the colour series, although I saw it in b&w. It had Patrick Mower as Cross, being a total bast*rd.

I hope Phil has found some non extant episodes of this series.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Callan

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Vaguely recall my dad watching it when I was very young and being puzzled as to why he found Lonely funny. Many years later (the mid-nineties to be precise), I caught up with some of the colour Callan episodes that were being shown over on UK GOLD. Thought it was a smashing little series. Liked ol' Edward Woodward in it. Yeah, the ones I saw had Patrick Mower in and the geezer who played The Shadow in one of Tom's Doctor Who's. I've got the boxset somewhere waiting for me to pull my finger out and get it watched.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby iank » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 pm

I've heard of Callan for a long time (I vaguely recall my folks watching it as a kid, though it was well over my head of course). However I'd never actually seen it till three years ago. A little clip on YouTube was enough to convince me to take a punt on the black and white set from Network, and before I'd even finished it I'd already ordered the colour ones. Currently rewatching it (just finished season 3) and it is brilliant. One of my all time favourites now, the writing and acting from all the excellent cast is just fantastic. :)
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby Servorobot » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:48 am

The first episode (the Armchair Thriller one, A Magnum for Schneider) is one of the best first episodes you're ever likely to see IMO.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Looks like there's some Big Finish Callan audios in the works...

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby iank » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:20 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

iank

Postby iank » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:59 am

Saw I Never Wanted The Job yesterday. Lonely has been misusing the Section taxi to make more money on the side, and ends up becoming a witness to a gangland hit - and then pursued by said mobsters. Callan tries to intervene before the situation escalates out of control, but some people just won't be warned... One of the best of season 4, this is a great episode with many wonderful scenes including a great shootout climax where Meres actually goes out of his way to aid Callan and Lonely, and a wonderful tense scene where Callan tries to warn off the mob boss (guest star William Marlowe), which includes this delightful exchange with Marlowe's moll:

Moll: Why are you so concerned (about Lonely)? Are you queer for him or something?
Callan (smirks slowly): No... but it's a wonder more of us aren't like that with slappers like you around, isn't it love?

Fecking owned! :floorroll:

iank

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:25 am

The Ginger Cat wrote:Looks like there's some Big Finish Callan audios in the works...

Good Lord!

I have to wonder if they make any profit on this stuff? Shelock Holmes, The Prisoner etc. or whether they have too much money.

Good luck to them if it works, but I can't see many going for this??
ericthehalfabee

Postby iank » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:35 am

Voice cosplayers. :lol:
Spare me...

iank

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:40 am

iank wrote:Voice cosplayers. :lol:
Spare me...

Just call people "mate" a lot.

Urgh. I hope they don't get an impressionist in. The thought of someone doing a London accent and saying "mate" after every line is making me cringe.
ericthehalfabee

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Here you go then...

Ben Miles (never heard of him) as Callan, Frank Skinner as Lonely, and surprise, surprise, Nick Briggs as Hunter.

Adapted from series creator James Mitchell’s Sunday Express Short Stories by his son Peter Mitchell, four new adventures will expand the themes explored in the television show.

More here: https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/callan ... r-50-years
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:41 pm

A bit about those Sunday Express/TV Times Callan short stories if anyone's interested.

http://www.itssolastcentury.co.uk/loung ... tchell.php
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby iank » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 pm

Ben Miles (I presume it's the same guy) was in Coupling.

Oh do piss off Big Finish....

iank

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 pm

iank wrote:Ben Miles (I presume it's the same guy) was in Coupling.

Oh do piss off Big Finish....

I'm surprised they ain't done The Bill yet, starring Nick Briggs as...
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby iank » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 pm

DI Galloway AND Sgt Penny AND Inspector Monroe. :P :roll:

We shouldn't joke, it'll come true... :death:

iank

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:02 pm

iank wrote:Saw I Never Wanted The Job yesterday. Lonely has been misusing the Section taxi to make more money on the side, and ends up becoming a witness to a gangland hit - and then pursued by said mobsters. Callan tries to intervene before the situation escalates out of control, but some people just won't be warned... One of the best of season 4, this is a great episode with many wonderful scenes including a great shootout climax where Meres actually goes out of his way to aid Callan and Lonely, and a wonderful tense scene where Callan tries to warn off the mob boss (guest star William Marlowe), which includes this delightful exchange with Marlowe's moll:

Moll: Why are you so concerned (about Lonely)? Are you queer for him or something?
Callan (smirks slowly): No... but it's a wonder more of us aren't like that with slappers like you around, isn't it love?

Fecking owned! :floorroll:

I’ve just watched this one. Terrific episode and a genuinely funny scene at the end with Hunter.

Surprised you didn’t mention Sgt Benton though!
ericthehalfabee

Postby iank » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Ah yes I forgot that! :D

iank

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Well I’ve finally watched all of it, save for the movie.

What a superb show. An instant favourite, as per my avatar.

Even “Wet Job” wasn’t as bad as I was expecting - although it wasn’t brilliant :lol:
ericthehalfabee

Postby iank » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:02 pm

:)
I have yet to bring myself to watch that Wet Job thing though. :D

iank

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:56 pm

iank wrote::)
I have yet to bring myself to watch that Wet Job thing though. :D

Have a couple of stiff drinks beforehand and it’ll get you through the worst bits.

Hunter is played by the guy who plays the reporter in The Deadly Assassin. It’s... different. But all the stuff with Lonely (who’s now a successful small businessman and engaged!) is vintage Callan.
ericthehalfabee

Next

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers