Series 11 Spoiler Thread

For discussion of spoilers for the 11th series of Nu-Who

Series 11 Spoiler Thread

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:40 pm

New season to have longer, but less, episodes.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who ... -episodes/
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Series 11 Spoiler Thread

Postby LizR » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:15 am

Tentatively - good. One of my objections to new Who is the episodes being rushed.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby -JMW- » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 am

LizR wrote:Tentatively - good. One of my objections to new Who is the episodes being rushed.

Then you must have even more of an objection to classic Who...the further back it goes, the more rushed it was.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby iank » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:28 am

JMW is apparently completely high and just babbling incoherently now. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby Rubbernecking » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 am

-JMW- wrote:
LizR wrote:Tentatively - good. One of my objections to new Who is the episodes being rushed.

Then you must have even more of an objection to classic Who...the further back it goes, the more rushed it was.

Rushed as in a rush to make the episodes or rush in plots? (That last bit works on two levels as the BBC are beholden to Chekov's Gun bollocks!)
Rubbernecking

Postby -JMW- » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Rubbernecking wrote:Rushed as in a rush to make the episodes or rush in plots? (That last bit works on two levels as the BBC are beholden to Chekov's Gun bollocks!)

Doctor Who was certainly rushed to make episodes. The series started being recorded almost "as live", hence the "Billy fluffs" left in. But as television processes became more sophisticated, more time was spent. Now they don't "rehearse", but rather have a run through before they film. But they film until they get it the way they want it - several takes, which wasn't feasible in the early days.

As for writing. Writers are hired to bring in their own stories and flesh out base concepts into stories. Nothing has changed in that regard, but we know more time is permitted now because there are fewer episodes created.

Plots (which maybe Liz was referring to - it wasn't sufficiently clear to me). Where time has been reduced is in the running time of a single story. Many stories do not feature the two or three major directional flips that an older and longer Who story might have. We also have fewer predictable "evil masterminds" now. It's no better or worse, just different.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Rubbernecking wrote:
-JMW- wrote:

Rushed as in a rush to make the episodes or rush in plots? (That last bit works on two levels as the BBC are beholden to Chekov's Gun bollocks!)

I found quite a bit of classic who to be the opposite of rushed, probably overlong and padded. But this is veering off topic as we are discussing season 11 spoilers here so can I Respectfully ask any further discussion on classic Who goes into that forum please ?
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby Zarius » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Spam Fritter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 am

Can I say that season 11 is already spoiled? Hahaha.

Sorry I will get me coat.
Spam Fritter

Postby shuzbot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:00 am

De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Three new companions then?.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status ... 7013985281

Also:
In more exclusive news, the BBC has confirmed that the new series will be a ten-week run of fifty minute episodes in Autumn 2018, kicking off with a feature-length hour for the opening launch.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-10- ... t-members/
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby iank » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm sorry, but I still giggle like a little schoolgirl whenever I see Whittaker and think "that's supposed to be the Doctor." :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

iank

Postby thecypher » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:26 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Three new companions then?.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status ... 7013985281

Also:
In more exclusive news, the BBC has confirmed that the new series will be a ten-week run of fifty minute episodes in Autumn 2018, kicking off with a feature-length hour for the opening launch.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-10- ... t-members/

- White woman
- White man
- Black man
- Brown woman

BBC, trying to cover all the bases..
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
thecypher

Postby iank » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:30 am

They haven't said which one of them's gay yet. :D

iank

Postby thecypher » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:05 am

iank wrote:They haven't said which one of them's gay yet. :D

"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
thecypher

Postby iank » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 am

:floorroll:

iank

Postby Spam Fritter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:31 am

Would the Doctor now pass as trans?

Tick that box, Beeb.
Spam Fritter

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:41 am

There is also Sharon D Clarke in a recurring role. She is, apparently, a regenerated version of River Song.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:42 am

Spam Fritter wrote:Would the Doctor now pass as trans?

Tick that box, Beeb.

To be fair what else could they do. They would be damned if they didn't and it seems a hot topic at the moment. This diversity stuff. Cannot see what other choice they had. It does give it a feel of the Sarah Jane Adventures though.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby LizR » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:44 am

Bradley Walsh as in "The Chase" eh?

Maybe Chibbers is going back to 60s...
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Next

Return to SERIES 11 SPOILERS