The New Avengers (1976): UK Series

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

The New Avengers (1976): UK Series

Postby The Nimon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:58 pm

I've been watching the original series week nights on freeview (True Entertainment, Channel 61 8pm) so decided to pick up the complete 70s series Boxset. Watched the first two episodes and its good stuff. It's a very 1970s series and great fun. Steed is on top fun and Gambit is a very cool 1970s tv action hero. Episode 1 was the return of the nazis and Hitler plot that 70s series liked to do, plus Peter Cushing as a guest star, and episode 2 had a great 70 car chase, through boxes and stuff, in it. I'm going to have a break for a few weeks from the Batman boxset and enjoy this retro fun. I also note that Dennis Spooner wrote some of the episodes
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: The New Avengers.

Postby Heccypoo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:02 pm

I love this series version of the theme tune... :mrgreen:

Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby The Nimon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:15 pm

The theme is great, as is the music during the episodes. I think the only duff point for me so far is the car Steed is driving. Gone is his classic car and in is a custard coloured Ford Ganada. What was they thinking lol
The Nimon

Postby Heccypoo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 pm

The Nimon wrote:The theme is great, as is the music during the episodes. I think the only fuff point for me so far is the car Steed is driving. Gone is his classic car and in is a custard colour Ford Ganada. What was they thinking lol

Maybe he used to moonlight on the Sweeny.. 8-)

I always thought he should have had ( in Jeremy Clarkson style voice) a Jaaag!... :mrgreen:
Heccypoo

Postby The Nimon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Heccypoo wrote:
The Nimon wrote:The theme is great, as is the music during the episodes. I think the only fuff point for me so far is the car Steed is driving. Gone is his classic car and in is a custard colour Ford Ganada. What was they thinking lol

Maybe he used to moonlight on the Sweeny.. 8-)

I always thought he should have had ( in Jeremy Clarkson style voice) a Jaaag!... :mrgreen:

In th woooorrrrlllldddd!!!!! :D
The Nimon

Postby Heccypoo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 pm

The Nimon wrote:The theme is great, as is the music during the episodes. I think the only duff point for me so far is the car Steed is driving. Gone is his classic car and in is a custard coloured Ford Ganada. What was they thinking lol

I can also play the bass line to this theme...

Not a skill in much demand these days... :oops:
Heccypoo

Postby The Nimon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Heccypoo wrote:
The Nimon wrote:The theme is great, as is the music during the episodes. I think the only duff point for me so far is the car Steed is driving. Gone is his classic car and in is a custard coloured Ford Ganada. What was they thinking lol

I can also play the bass line to this theme...

Not a skill in much demand these days... :oops:

Cool :) 8-)
The Nimon

Postby bobmcpherson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:56 am

THIS was that very rare bird. A revival of a program that was as good or in some cases better than the original. It feels like the old show with much of the same style. There is a return of the Cybernauts. Macnee is excellent as is Gambit and Purdy. I DO wish they could have brought back Emma Peel, Cathy Gale or Tara King for an appearance.

What was remarkable was just how Cold Warish the program was in ways American programs had stopped being for years. The spy stories are VERY good and there is a two parter concerning Russian sleeper agents that is just excellent.

You are in for a good time.
bobmcpherson

Postby The Ginger Cat » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:48 pm

The episodes I remember best were the aforementioned one with the Nazis trying to resurrect Hitler, the Cybernaut one (my favourite), then there's another about a trapeze artist played by the original "Avengers" actor Ian Hendry and finally one about a giant rat (I think the episode's title was "Gnaws" :lol: ).

I'm pretty sure some of the series latter episodes were set out in Canada or something.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Nimon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:39 pm

I've been told that the Canada episodes are a bit rubbish. The giant rat one is one of the ones written by Dennis Spooner I think
The Nimon

Re: The New Avengers

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:44 am

True Entertainment are sticking it back on if anyone's interested.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 am

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Blu-Ray of this yet like there was with the original series.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:True Entertainment are sticking it back on if anyone's interested.

Well, they've got that wrong. I've not long tuned in to that channel and they've still showing Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased). Can't blame the guys with the tweet though, it's listed up on True Entertainment's website, silly tits.

https://www.truechannels.tv/schedule/trueentertainment
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:05 pm

Mighty Purdey lookin'...

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 pm

Let's hope they've (True Entertainment that is) got it right this time...

https://twitter.com/AvengersTvShow/stat ... 1639819264

And still no sign of a Blu-Ray set.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Re: The New Avengers (1976)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:46 pm

This was the first version of THE AVENGERS that I saw and remains my favourite.

The only criticism I could make is that their enemies tended, in some selected episodes, to be a bit ordinary, when compared to the mad plotting of the original show. A bit too real. And therefore a bit dull here and there. (Although happily they still found time to shove a giant rat in one episode and a Cybernaut in another, for example.)

But other than that, I thought this a worthy continuation.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The New Avengers (1976)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Some annuals..... :)

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The New Avengers (1976): UK Series

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 pm

"The Avengers: The Cybernauts Trilogy" - Pre-Order now

A Trio of Cybernauts…

There isn’t much more one can say about The Avengers, the global and stylish television trailblazer it is (by any standards), but we do have something new to present with The Cybernauts Trilogy.

We’ve selected three highpoints from across the run for this special 2019 release: The Cybernauts, their 1965 robotic debut featuring Diana Rigg; the 1967 follow-up Return of the Cybernauts, again with Diana Rigg and Peter Cushing guesting in one of his most sinister roles; and, making its world High Definition debut, The New Avengers 1976 finale The Last of the Cybernauts…?? .

We’ve pulled the original film elements for all three episodes into the Network studio for brand new, painstaking, High Definition restorations, exclusively for this release.

There’s much more to this release, though: as well as presenting the episodes in all their uncut, restored glory, we’re also presenting the option to watch each episode in its contemporary transmission context, with actual commercials in situ.

Included in the package is a 32-page booklet by celebrated television historian Andrew Pixley detailing the history of the three episodes and there’s limited edition digipack packaging whilst stocks last.

https://networkonair.com/coming-soon/30 ... y-blu-ray-

Let's hope they get round to sticking out all of The New Avengers on Blu-Ray soon.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby paulhickling » Thu May 23, 2019 12:57 pm

Not QUITE as good as The Avengers in my opinion, but still great, and will welcome a Blu-ray. Again, great theme but not QUITE as good as the Rigg-Thorson one which is a true classic. The cast are of course brill.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Servorobot » Thu May 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Here’s hoping for a blu-ray release, but this does seem to be a positive sign.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Next

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers