The Sandbaggers

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

The Sandbaggers

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:14 pm

After being bombarded with recommendations, I’ve just bought this.

More to follow. In the meantime, fill your boots.
ericthehalfabee

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: The Sandbaggers

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:40 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:After being bombarded with recommendations, I’ve just bought this.

It’s a really worthwhile piece of TV. The creator died in mysterious circumstances too. Feeding a few consirpacy theories.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby The Wooksta! » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Eric, you could have saved a few bob - much of the series is on Youtube! I've just skipped through the first episode, spotting Phillip Latham and Olaf Pooley.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham..."

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Wooksta!

Postby The Wooksta! » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Interesting out-take

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv3q6z3i7Zw

Titles and clip from the same episode. Interesting to note that Roy Budd did the theme music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=286tbgiIaUE
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

The Wooksta!

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 pm

The Wooksta! wrote:Eric, you could have saved a few bob - much of the series is on Youtube! I've just skipped through the first episode, spotting Phillip Latham and Olaf Pooley.

I like to have physical copies. Otherwise I'd have to concentrate on paying for boring stuff like the mortgage.
ericthehalfabee

Postby The Wooksta! » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:57 pm

I see your point and I feel the same way, but sometimes it pays to watch an episode or two before risking hard earned wadge!

Review from The Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... set-review

Background for the lazy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandbaggers

The Wooksta!

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:33 pm

The Wooksta! wrote:I see your point and I feel the same way, but sometimes it pays to watch an episode or two before risking hard earned wadge!

DON'T read that unless you want the major event of series one totally spoiled.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:38 pm

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
The Wooksta! wrote:I see your point and I feel the same way, but sometimes it pays to watch an episode or two before risking hard earned wadge!

DON'T read that unless you want the major event of series one totally spoiled.

Ta.
ericthehalfabee

Postby StarQuake » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:01 pm

Most of the stories are like little mysteries - why is this person or that organisation acting the way they are? And they feel so credible, too.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Yartek » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:08 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:
The Wooksta! wrote:Eric, you could have saved a few bob - much of the series is on Youtube! I've just skipped through the first episode, spotting Phillip Latham and Olaf Pooley.

I like to have physical copies. Otherwise I'd have to concentrate on paying for boring stuff like the mortgage.

And of course there are the extras including Roy Marsden in an episode of “Crown Court”.

Oh damn! I said it. Please don’t ban me! :cry:
Yartek

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 pm

Yartek wrote:
ericthehalfabee wrote:

And of course there are the extras including Roy Marsden in an episode of “Crown Court”.

Oh damn! I said it. Please don’t ban me! :cry:

:lol:
ericthehalfabee

Postby Spam Fritter » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:15 pm

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
ericthehalfabee wrote:After being bombarded with recommendations, I’ve just bought this.

It’s a really worthwhile piece of TV. The creator died in mysterious circumstances too. Feeding a few consirpacy theories.

It is quite mysterious, and rumours he was linked to MI6.

Macintosh was a solid writer with at least a foot in the secret service camp.
Spam Fritter

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:57 am

I watched half of episode 1 last night, although I quickly realised I was too tired to do it justice so I'm saving the rest for tonight.

Not seen Latham yet, but Pat Gorman was there I think - right at the start he's the chap who was trailed to the Norwegian embassy. I'm also going to find it very hard to take Richard Vernon seriously due to his role in Yes Minister :lol:

I can tell instantly I'm going to love this - well written, plausible and gritty.
ericthehalfabee

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 pm

Spam Fritter wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:

Warship, which he co created, Is also really worth watching, not as good as Sandbaggers but has its moments,
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
Spam Fritter wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:

Warship, which he co created, Is also really worth watching, not as good as Sandbaggers but has its moments,

Does that exist in full?

A mate of mine recommended Redcap too - sadly missing a lot of the second series.
ericthehalfabee

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:03 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:
Spam Fritter wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:

Does that exist in full?

A mate of mine recommended Redcap too - sadly missing a lot of the second series.

Yes it does but only series 1 and 2 on DVD. Series 3 and 4 where shown by Gold many years ago.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:29 pm

Episode 1 done.

Burnside when offered a drink by the villain: "Herr Torvik, if I had a glass in my hand at this moment, I'd shove it in your throat." :lol:

I'll have to remember that when the boss next asks me for a drink. :lol:

Well I really enjoyed that. Great cast, great dialogue and the sort of dry, no-nonsense plot that makes it all plausible, with no-nonsense British spies being all low key and British. Reminiscent in that sense of Tinker Tailor, only I was really pleasantly surprised when they actually showed the mission into Russia (or Wales or wherever they filmed it) - plane, parachuting, the target exploding etc. Then I remembered it wasn't the BBC!

I also liked the politics - no fannying about aluding to "the minister" as you might get with Bond - this was straight to the foreign secretary and the PM, with clearly explained ramifications for arms deals and international relations, with everyone stabbing each other in the back/face.

Great stuff.

Oh and Wooksta!, still no Philip Latham... any chance you're thinking of Alan MacNaughtan?

ericthehalfabee

Postby iank » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:57 pm

I bought this a while back, but have only just started it, based largely on this thread. Pretty good so far. I always liked Roy Marsden.
Him being Burnside is a bit odd, though, I keep expecting Frank to turn up! :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby ericthehalfabee » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:08 am

Episode 2 done.

Well I've come away from this one feeling it's a bit more Callan-esque. Switch Burnside for Callan (the disillusioned killer with a conscience) and merge the three bosses to be Hunter...

Anyway - it was great. Every bugger's a hypocrite in this aren't they! Episode 1 it was the Americans and the Norwegians. Then in this one it's the government and Burnside. I loved the juxtaposition of the two cases: the African dictator they're not willing to kill because killing people just isn't on, and the defector the government are willing to kill to save embarrassment for the government if he doesn't come quietly. Then the other hypocrisy: Burnside willing to have Caine kill the defector because Caine is absolutely the right man for the job, but then not willing to send Caine to kill the dictator because there's a promotion in the offing.

I've now got the hang of the hierarchy and I've got used to the face that Richard Vernon's "C" isn't the idiot banker in Yes Minister. Roy Marsden and Alan MacNaughtan are excellent, as is Ray Lonnen. I'm not so keen on Vernon and Jerome Willis yet. I loved all the banter at the start about coffee and marriage. You wouldn't see that these days.

It looks like they blew the series budget in episode 1 - no planes this time, just a bit of creaky stock footage of Vienna and some street signs in forn.

Oh and DW watch - Laurence Payne this time.
ericthehalfabee

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:19 am

You have so much good stuff to come and I don't want to ruin anything, but the relationship between Burnside and his secretary is wonderful as it goes along. That first secretary is the sexiest woman in it IMO, even when Diane Keen and Sue Holderness come along later.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Next

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers