Blakes 7 (Big Finish)

No good deed goes unpunished
bingo99

Blakes 7 BF trailer released

http://bigfinish.com/Blakes-7-CD-Box-Set-1
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
Solon

Have they done any B7 audios and are they any good?
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Blakes 7 1.1: Fractures

The Liberator is involved with a minor skirmish with Travis and sustains engine damage. The Liberator flees into the derelict zone. While passing through the graveyard of space vessels, The Liberator's teleportation systems are activated and something comes on board. It’s a good premise, but unfortunately, the whole thing is rather stilted and lacks the right claustrophobic atmosphere. The creature impersonates crew members using the communications systems and alters the ship's life support systems. This translates into a lot of bickering and flouncing, in space.

Big Finish’s sound design talents extend beyond the Doctor Who ranges which is nice to hear, literally. The Directing isn’t as clear as it could be and fails to inject life and pace into this tale. Paul Darrow sounds noticeably older but I can’t fault the acting. All a bit dull really. 6

Blakes 7 1.2: Battleground

Battleground is pacier and more engaging than its more languid paced predecessor. The Liberator crew head to a planet called Straxis (codenamed Battleground 9) looking for a Federation official called Mikalov. Battleground 9 is a training ground for an army of Federation troops that uses live targets.

All very enjoyable in itself, The sound effects are crisp and clear; combined with the acting directing and production values this was very enjoyable. The plot is a little unimaginative and the idea of the troopers using live targets isn’t quite as shocking as it’s intended to be. It seems like it takes a little while to get going but when it does it’s quite absorbing. I think casting Dan Starkey as an arrogant and officious military figure is a mistake as I couldn’t help imagining Sontarans all throughout this. 8

Blakes 7 1.3: Drones

Drones is written by Marc Platt and is about …err…drones. Surprisingly! Again, a lot of the components feel familiar, such as the Liberator turning against them, but what really makes this for me is Orac. In the TV series he was very much a way to get out of trouble like K-9, but here he is painted as a possible turncoat which is a really nice touch. The rapport he has with Avon is interesting. Like two friends constantly trying to outdo each other and prove they are the smartest man in the room. They have respect for each other but don’t entirely trust each other. That for me made this worth listening to and I don’t remember them emphasising that aspect in the TV series. I hope that becomes a season arc (or at least an ongoing thing) because it really deserves more attention. 8
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Big Finish statement on the future of their Blakes 7 audios following Paul Darrow's passing:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-fu ... -blake-s-7
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Honestly, with Darrow gone they are better knocking it on the head. They have plenty of other ongoing franchises. They could also consider a B7 audio reboot but that doesn't sound great. Gotta be better than limping on sans Avon1
Hartnell's Wig

shuzbot wrote:Honestly, with Darrow gone they are better knocking it on the head. They have plenty of other ongoing franchises. They could also consider a B7 audio reboot but that doesn't sound great. Gotta be better than limping on sans Avon1
Agreed, Gareth Thomas and Paul Darrow made Blakes 7 what it was and now both are gone, they should stop.

It's not like Big Finish haven't anything else to work on, they milk the hell out of every genre series they can get their hands on.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

As this is about audio B7,
The 1999 Blake's 7 radio play The Syndeton Experiment included a character named Dr. Rossum who turned humans into robots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.U.R.

From the play that coined the word 'Robot'

Return to “Blake's 7”

• Information