The Quatermass Memoirs (1996)
No votes
The Quatermass Experiment (2005)
No votes

Total votes: 7
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Somebody has put the two eps of the BBC Quatermass Experiment (1953) up. Oddy segmented for some reason

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xen80h

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xen8ia

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xen8wm

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xen969

All the others, films and TV series, seem to be up there as well.

Starts tomorrow
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I found the two surviving episodes of Quatermass on Youtube too Shuz, without that segmenting Dailymotion thing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79H--mAha_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNDKoQNCjyI

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I think that the main problem with this opening tale is that we are forced to abandon the story just as it gets going.

The first episode remains, imo, a bit of a trudge until Victor leaves the spaceship and mysteries start plopping into place. The second episode is just mystery upon mystery and then, just as the story is about to properly get into it's stride nobody bothered recording episodes 3 to 6. :(

I think that the ace in the deck is Duncan Lamont as Victor Caroon, who did, I'm sure, give a tortured performance the equal of Richard Wordsworth's in the film version.

Two other roles of Lamont's that spring to mind are of Hans' father about to be guillotined in FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN and also that of a sailor who has drunk seawater that triggers the mutiny in the Brando/Howard version of MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY.

I honestly think that actors able to portray torment as successfully as he have completely gone. I just don't think that there are any actors of that ilk around now. At least none that are making themselves known.

Duncan Lamont on IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0483653/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

Reginald Tate as Quatermass, I must say, is perfectly fine, but nothing is leaping out about his performance imo in the existing episodes. But then again, he may have been brilliant later in the story. We will never know.

I like what we see of this story and would love to hear, perhaps, an audio adaption of the remaining four episodes - and I am not counting that compressed thing from 2005. A proper recreation please, using the original unedited scripts.

I just found an article on this story here. :)

http://www.paulfcockburnjournalist.com/ ... xperiment/

Overall, well worth a watch, but sad that the whole thing was never recorded.

paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Love all Quatermass. Just too little of it. Actually not seen/heard the Memoirs or the BBC remake. Not terribly interested though I will probably get around to them. But I'd love to see the original Experiment. I love the Hammer films.

They were my intro. Can never dislike them, and Donlevy is fine as we know he's not the real deal. That accolade goes Dean Jagger in X the Unknown. That is, an American Quatermass. He's much closer to the real thing than the barking thing that is Donlevy. It also strikes me that X is also even more Season 7 Who than the actual Quatermass adaptations. It's SO army-and-scientific-advisor team than the others. A very strong feeling I got watching it a year ago or so.

But I also love the Euston Films serial with John Mills. Incredible slice of sf telly British style. The final scene when Quatermass finaly sees his granddaughter and appears to have the heart attack, and they press the detonator together incredibly emotional, with the music. Wonderful.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

The two surviving episodes are quaint little curios of a bygone age. They are great, if a little unexciting. Half of the the first one is people starring at control panels and reacting.

The set of the house the rocket lands in looks good from what I can see. It's disappointing the video quality isn't better, but it is a bit daft they never recorded the remaining four. I like the bit of humour with the reporter and the drunk.

Lots of good, but affected, performances. I wonder if any props from the first two serials survive.
The Wooksta!

Managed to watch the two surviving episodes of Experiment. I'd forgotten how creaky the first episode is but was surprised to see Sam Seeley as the copper first on the scene when the rocket crashes.

The scenes in the control room as Quatermass and the team try to bring the rocket under control - well, I was getting an Ambassadors of Death vibe from it. It definitely warms up in episode 2.

Watched the first episode of Quatermass II last night. First thoughts are that it's far more ambitious and you can see more money has been spent and the team have the experioence with film inserts and location work gained from work on 1984 (incidentally, there's some clips in the Kine/Wlkie documentary that are from the restored but shelved release of the Kneale/Cartier 1984). It's still very creaky and slow for modern tastes and Quatermass' daughter is very cut glass BBC. Although it's creaky, it zips along at a fair rate. I'll try and get another two done tonight.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Looks like I’ve definitely given this the heave ho.

I’ve found Quatermass 2 on YouTube, but it’s got sound problems and it cuts off the last 10 minutes. Daily Motion has them in 20 minutes segments, so I’ve said bollocks to that and I’m going to cheat and watch the Hammer film.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

A new Quatermass film in the works: https://nerdist.com/article/quatermass- ... exclusive/

something else I came across:

This is still up on iplayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b03y
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Underrated Science Fiction Films of the 1950s:
https://obscurehollywood.net/underrated ... 1950s.html

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

".... gives us first a man with a vicious-looking cactus in place of an arm and then a monstrous structure of slowly moving spines and feathers in place of head, legs, body and the other arm".

These newspaper articles you have posted, Shuz, make me more sorry than ever that episodes 3-6 were never recorded! :(
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

I have been watching the first Hammer Horror film. Don Levy is dressed and acts more like a police man or detective, and he says so.ething quite unQuatermass-like at one point, though I forget what it was.

One of the main differences between this and the BBC one was the Kneale original had the monster commit suicide. That's more pogniant and I keeping with the tone of Quatermass, to me.

Q2 next up. The series then the film.

Never seen X the creeping Unknown, will try and do that too
The Wooksta!

You'll not regret it. It's more Quatermass than the first film, certainly. If you can get it, I'd recommend the radio serial The Slide.

Now three episodes into Q2 and its moving along at a cracking pace, with the tension ratcheting up as Quatermass pits himself against an insidious menace. The ruthlessness of the enemy is shown, albeit offscreen but we hear gunfire and see the aftereffects, with the ruthless extermination of a small family on a picnic near the plant. The child is a young Micheal Craze.

The people possessed by the influence are genuinely creepy, almost dead but have a pitying ability to resist the influence. The frightened child in episode 2, the CMO in the parliamentary inquiry who tries to resist them to give Quatermass the information he needs, the doctor in the plant, the workers in the pressure control block who go back to work as if nothing has happened when Quatermass questions them. Genuinely unsettling and I know it's coming. No wonder a 50s audience was hooked.

There's so much here that's familiar and it's quite obvious where much of Season 7's roots lie - Spearhead is almost a remake in colour, but there's nods to Q2 apparent in both Ambassadors and Inferno, whilst the former echoes the mystery in the early episodes of Experiment. The toxic slime that kills Ward is echoed by the green mutagenic slime that infects the workers on the Stahlman project.

The whole thing, despite the more obvious 50s trappings and the stage acting, feels very modern. Even the special effects hold up to modern scrutiny.

Next episode: Enter the Master
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Apparently Reginald Tate was looking forward to reprising his role in Quatermass II.

But fate had other ideas.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Tate

Death

When the BBC commissioned a second Quatermass serial in 1955, Tate was eager to participate and play the Professor again.

Production was due to begin in September, and on 7 August 1955 he produced his first television play, Night Was Our Friend.

Only sixteen days after this, late at night on 23 August, he collapsed outside his home in London.

He had suffered a heart attack, and despite being rushed to hospital in Putney he died soon afterwards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_II

Reginald Tate, who had played the title role in The Quatermass Experiment, collapsed and died on 23 August 1955, aged 58.

This was less than a month before the shooting of the location filming for Quatermass II began, and necessitated the casting of a replacement lead actor at short notice; John Robinson was chosen to fill the part.

Robinson was an experienced actor from a range of different films and television programmes since the 1930s, but was uncomfortable about taking over from Tate, and had difficulty in learning some of the technical dialogue he was required to deliver.

Robinson's delivery of his lines has been criticised by some later reviewers.

The Wooksta!

Bearing in mind he was dropped into the role at short notice, he does a pretty decent job. He's not good in the first episode but gets better as he goes on. His fear and mounting paranoia as he gets deeper and deeper is quite obvious.

Looking forward to watching the rest later. It's better when it's dark...

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Wooksta! wrote:Next episode: Enter the Master
Watched that one with Delgado in last night. Gripping stuff.
The Wooksta!

Sid James plays the same character in the film version. IIRC, the old guy, McCleod, who's one of the workers, is played by the same actor in the TV serial and the film.

I'm watching the rest of the serial tonight ad then the film tomorrow.

Return to “THE REWATCH FORUM”

• Information