THE DAVROS DILEMMA: One Life or Millions?

General Doctor Who discussion hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Should the Doctor leave a future dictator to their fate?

YES: One genocidal future maniac to be vs. millions/billions of innocent lives? No contest. Get back in the Tardis and get out of there Doctor!
No votes
NO: The Doctor's immediate duty is to a blameless Davros. Philosophy can wait.
100%

Total votes : 2

THE DAVROS DILEMMA: One Life or Millions?

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat May 16, 2020 8:02 pm

"Listen, if someone who knew the future pointed out a child to you and told you that that child would grow up totally evil, to be a ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives, could you then kill that child?"

"We're talking about the Daleks, the most evil creatures ever invented, you must destroy them!"

When saving one life kills millions...

New Who revived an interesting point first made in GENESIS OF THE DALEKS when young Davros was stranded in a (very bizarre) minefield, with only the Doctor able to save him.

But did the story have the correct resolution?

At the end of the day, and knowing the future as he does, should the Doctor, in fact, leave Davros - or, indeed, any dictator from our very real-life history - to their fate, if saving them from it condemns millions of others to untold suffering and lost lives?

:?

See also.....

Rate "The Magician's Apprentice" & "The Witch's Familiar":

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4239

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4240

Rate "Genesis of the Daleks":

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=7760

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: THE DAVROS DILEMMA: One Life or Millions?

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat May 16, 2020 11:29 pm

Moffat's resolution to the dilemma:

http://www.chakoteya.net/DoctorWho/35-2.html

Battlefield

YOUNG DAVROS: Help me! You can't leave me, you promised. You said I had a chance.

(The Tardis materialises behind him.)

YOUNG DAVROS: Who are you? I don't get it. How did you get there?

DOCTOR: From the future.

YOUNG DAVROS: Are you going to save me?

DOCTOR: I'm going to save my friend the only way I can. Exterminate!

(He blasts all the hand mines to oblivion.)

DOCTOR: Come on, I'll take you home.

YOUNG DAVROS: Which side are you on? Are you the enemy?

DOCTOR: I'm not sure that any of that matters, friends, enemies. So long as there's mercy. Always mercy.

(The Doctor holds out his hand. The boy Davros takes it and they walk away together.)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"So long as there's mercy. Always mercy."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You should have left us there...

"The whole of history could change.

"No one should have that much power..."

"I've done this sort of thing before. In small ways. Saved some little people. But never someone as important as you. Oh, I'm good!"

"And there's no one to stop you?"

"No."

In which the well meaning Doctor crossed the line - and took it upon himself to rescue someone who really shouldn't have been - and wasn't meant to be...

Is it equally possible, therefore, that the Daleks were never actually meant to happen?

That young Davros, like Adelaide, was actually meant to perish in the minefield that day. A "fixed point in time"?

Until a well-meaning, but historically interfering Doctor came along? :?

Did the Doctor - and the Doctor alone - cause the creation of the Daleks through his alteration of established history?

Or is this just overthinking things?

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: THE DAVROS DILEMMA: One Life or Millions?

Postby LizR » Sun May 17, 2020 8:24 am

It (partly) depends on how time and time travel work. Is it definite that Davros will turn out the way he does? Why can't the Doctor influence him to be more humane, as he tried to do with Kazran Sardick?
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Return to GENERAL DOCTOR WHO DISCUSSION