Were Any of the 1980's Doctors Miscast?

Discussion of the classic series of Doctor Who hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

My Honest Feeling is That He Miscast........ (Up to 3 votes allowed.)

Peter Davison
15%
Colin Baker
38%
Sylvester McCoy
23%
None of them. He knew a good Doctor when he saw one!
23%

Total votes : 26

Re: Were Any of the 1980's Doctors Miscast?

Postby Sid Rat » Sat May 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Colin Baker was the first time I felt an actor had been miscast in the role. Nothing against him personally but he just didn't have 'the look'. I always loved the fact that the Doctors had 'interesting' faces. Baker's face is too bland and he was overweight, particularly in The Trial of a Timelord. Of course he wasn't helped by JNT's obsession with the TARDIS crew wearing 'costumes', with his being the worst imaginable, and a run of some of the worst storylines in the show's history. His interpretation of the character left a lot to be desired too; he just wasn't very likeable a lot of the time. There was a nasty streak that I found offputting.
Sid Rat

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby paulhickling » Sun May 24, 2020 11:18 am

Doh! CP you missed a category off. All of them! But Davison at least came up with the goods. A few more Bob Holmes scripts and he'd have been as good as the classic four. First silly costume, but easier on the eye.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 24, 2020 1:32 pm

paulhickling wrote:Doh! CP you missed a category off. All of them! But Davison at least came up with the goods. A few more Bob Holmes scripts and he'd have been as good as the classic four. First silly costume, but easier on the eye.

Sorry, that's my fault Paul for not making clear that it's actually up to three votes allowed. Anyone can change their vote too if they've only voted for one Doctor so far. Have made it a bit clearer up top now.

Agreed that Davison had great potential - being a genuinely good actor - and finally hit his stride in his last few stories when they allowed his natural dry humour to show through, instead of stifling him due to that Tom Baker undergraduate-humour reaction.

Perhaps McCoy was the only one that a producer other than JNT might have cast? He - after all - has a genuinely eccentric nature, whereas Davison and Colin do not.

I don't think any producer other than JNT would ever have cast Peter or Colin. Neither of them scream that they are Doctor material imo, but Davison had that ace up his sleeve of being a good actor who could at least bring something to the part (as Saward indeed put it in that "Trials and Tribulations" documentary on the TRIAL box set).
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Kranger » Mon May 25, 2020 6:31 am

paulhickling wrote:Doh! CP you missed a category off. All of them! But Davison at least came up with the goods. A few more Bob Holmes scripts and he'd have been as good as the classic four. First silly costume, but easier on the eye.
I didn’t like Baker’s S18 costume. The first silly appearance of the “?
Kranger

Postby Kranger » Mon May 25, 2020 6:52 am

Sid Rat wrote:Colin Baker was the first time I felt an actor had been miscast in the role. Nothing against him personally but he just didn't have 'the look'. I always loved the fact that the Doctors had 'interesting' faces. Baker's face is too bland and he was overweight, particularly in The Trial of a Timelord. Of course he wasn't helped by JNT's obsession with the TARDIS crew wearing 'costumes', with his being the worst imaginable, and a run of some of the worst storylines in the show's history. His interpretation of the character left a lot to be desired too; he just wasn't very likeable a lot of the time. There was a nasty streak that I found offputting.
I thought Colin Baker was too pretty in the face to play the part (compared to what had come previously), and Peter Davison, his features too bland. Both actors, facially, lacked ‘character’ - something Sylvester McCoy did have.

An old convention video from the 1980s (1987?) with Colin Baker, once demonstrated just how much weight he’d lost at that time. He looked good. A pity he didn’t look like that during his time on the show.
Kranger

Previous

Return to CLASSIC SERIES DISCUSSION