Special Branch

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.
Hartnell's Wig

There was some discussion of the series in another thread (The Sandbaggers?) so for those who were curious about it, some news.

Talking Pictures TV will be showing the series, from episode one, from August 26th

It is well worth checking out and sticking with, even though it can be slightly hard going at times and hasn't dated too well.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the heads up, I've always been curious about the series, but I've never seen it. I won't be expecting it to be of Callan quality, though.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
The Wooksta!

It's really two different series, linked only by the name - the first two seasons with Derren Nesbit and Fulton McKay, produced by Thames, and the last two with George Sewell and Patrick Mower produced by Euston Films.

The first two series are pretty decent, the Euston films ones... Okay but even they thought that they were absolute tosh, hence they cancelled it and produced The Sweeney instead.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
Spam Fritter

Just came across this thread.

I am currently having a rewatch of Special Branch, from start to finish.

Series is very patchy, with equally there being strong and weak episodes.

First two series are very studio bound, and wordy, very little action, more procedural, the lead changes in the first few episodes of series 1, which seems odd for a new show.

I think it's one to try on Talking Pictures rather than a punt on DVD purchase.

Not in same league as Callan, Public Eye or Sweeney, but still a nice show for those that enjoy multi camera studio stuff - series 3/4 did move to film and location)

As the wooksta states, it is two different shows, with series 3 employing new regulars and a different pace and direction. Some view it as a taster for the Sweeney.

Return to “Spies, Sleuths and Coppers”

• Information