Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Re: Tenth Doctor = Worst Doctor

Postby chap with wings » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:37 pm

You are all wrong. :lol:
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby LizR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:36 am

You liked "Doc Van Dyke's" accent?
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby chap with wings » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 am

In terms of popularity and iconic status he is only matched by Tom Baker.
None of the other Doctor's have entered into the public consciousness and become definitive in the way David Tennant and Tom Baker did.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby iank » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:19 am

I agree. He is the definitive James Bond.

Shame he was playing the Doctor, but you can't have everything. :P
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 am

chap with wings wrote:In terms of popularity and iconic status he is only matched by Tom Baker.
None of the other Doctor's have entered into the public consciousness and become definitive in the way David Tennant and Tom Baker did.

Playing the bums on seats card? I suppose you have a point, sort of. I'd prefer it if he'd had some decent stories rather than soapy drivel, though (it's a bit telling that the most highly regarded story of the Tenant era is Doctor-lite, and the second most highly regarded has him playing someone who isn't the Doctor...)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby chap with wings » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Not at all playing the bums on seats card, just stating the fact that Tom Baker and Tennant are the two most iconic Doctor's in the eyes of the public.

chap with wings

Postby adamwho » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:33 pm

chap with wings wrote:Not at all playing the bums on seats card, just stating the fact that Tom Baker and Tennant are the two most iconic Doctor's in the eyes of the public.

Just like Churchill and Thatcher (both tories) are considered the most iconic prime minsters. It goes to show that you can't really trust the general public.
I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it.
adamwho

Postby chap with wings » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:37 pm

And Blair.

I am not having a go at anyone's opinion, just pointing out that not all Doctor's have the same iconic status in the public consciousness. I love McCoy, he is my favourite classic era Doctor, but I don't for a minute consider him iconic like Tom or Tennant.

chap with wings

Postby adamwho » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:40 pm

chap with wings wrote:And Blair.

Ah yes another tory... :D

chap with wings wrote:I am not having a go at anyone's opinion, just pointing out that not all Doctor's have the same iconic status in the public consciousness. I love McCoy, he is my favourite classic era Doctor, but I don't for a minute consider him iconic like Tom or Tennant.

I agree that the perception the general public has is often variable with the truth.

And McCoy is probably my favourite Doctor as well no matter how many times feline says he can't act no other Doctor has ever quite moved me the way he did such as when he spoke to the sniper in 'The Happiness Patrol' and his speech at the end of 'Battlefield'.
I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it.
adamwho

Postby chap with wings » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:41 pm

I will disagree on the Blair point.

chap with wings

Postby Allons-y » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:44 pm

adamwho wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Not at all playing the bums on seats card, just stating the fact that Tom Baker and Tennant are the two most iconic Doctor's in the eyes of the public.

Just like Churchill and Thatcher (both tories) are considered the most iconic prime minsters. It goes to show that you can't really trust the general public.

What's wrong with Churchill?
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby LizR » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:21 pm

And Harold Wilson, Neville (sp?) Chamberlain and Clement Atlee, not to mention the younger and older Pitts...

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby atomic_monkey316 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:20 pm

bingo99 wrote:All the time being praised to the skies by nob'eads like Jonathan Ross for the kind of over acting panto performance JNT era stars got quite rightly lambasted for

Agreed. Worst actor to ever take the role and worst interpretation of the Doctor. He's performances made me cringe. I gave up on Doctor Who while he was playing the part.
atomic_monkey316

Postby chap with wings » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:37 pm

atomic_monkey316 wrote:
bingo99 wrote:All the time being praised to the skies by nob'eads like Jonathan Ross for the kind of over acting panto performance JNT era stars got quite rightly lambasted for

Agreed. Worst actor to ever take the role and worst interpretation of the Doctor. He's performances made me cringe. I gave up on Doctor Who while he was playing the part.

Wrong. The end. :D
Seriously though, if he is such a bad actor why did the RSC take him on to play Hamlet, and again this year as Richard II?

His performance may not be to your taste, but bad actor? I don't think so.

chap with wings

Postby The Nimon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:21 pm

chap with wings wrote:
atomic_monkey316 wrote:

Seriously though, if he is such a bad actor why did the RSC take him on to play Hamlet, and again this year as Richard II?

I could add here that Ken Dodd has done shakespeare too :D

To be serious though, I think Tennant is a good actor, ok he had a bad day with Fright Night. There has yet to be a Doctor I don't like though icon wise he still has some work to do to catch Tom
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby chap with wings » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:23 pm

To the modern audience he IS the ionic Doctor whatever fans think.

chap with wings

Postby The Nimon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:40 pm

chap with wings wrote:To the modern audience he IS the ionic Doctor whatever fans think.

I just thought he was more eye candy for over hormonal Teenage Girls. While the Doctor has been played by 11, soon to be 12, brilliant actors, no actor is bigger than the part. It's the Doctor i watch the show for not the actor
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby Allons-y » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:13 am

chap with wings wrote:
atomic_monkey316 wrote:

I'm with you Chap, and aside from my opinion that he was the best Doctor, the fact that the show was the most popular it had been since it's revival, until Matt Smith came along and it's popularity increased exponentially, might indicate that not only was he not a bad actor but he in fact did his job (appealing to the general audience) very well. By the same token as much as I don't like Matt's run, evidently he acted well and did his job very well.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby tony ingram » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:42 am

chap with wings wrote:To the modern audience he IS the ionic Doctor whatever fans think.
Yes, but that's the same "modern audience" that makes The X-Factor and East Enders the most watched programmes on TV. What they know about quality TV could be written on the back of a fag packet without obscuring the annoying health warning.
tony ingram

Postby iank » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:45 am

The plebs, in other words.

Never much cared for their idiotic opinions, unlikely to change now. :D :P
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

PreviousNext

Return to The Tennant Era