Adam Adamant Lives! (1966)

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Adam Adamant Lives! (1966)

Postby The Nimon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Started watching this today, the first episode. It's rather good, I thought it'd be a bit slow like most 60s stuff but the first episode had a really good fast pace.
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Adam Adamant Lives!

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Yeah this is quite a good little tv series, I watched it on dvd about a year ago after I'd bought it cheaply during a BBC shop sale and I really enjoyed it! :D

I found it a little bit similar in vein to 'The Avengers' or some of those other ITC crime fighting tv series of that era but that's no bad thing as I love all those type of shows!

I really liked Gerald Harper (Adam Adamant) and Juliet Harmer (Georgina Jones) in this series, I thought they were perfectly cast.

The only down point is, and I'm very sorry to bring this up here, that old bug bear especially amongst us Doctor Who fans, 'the missing episodes' that are lost mostly from series two of 'Adam Adamant Lives'. :(
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Nimon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:17 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Yeah this is quite a good little tv series, I watched it on dvd about a year ago after I'd bought it cheaply during a BBC shop sale and I really enjoyed it! :D

I found it a little bit similar in vein to 'The Avengers' or some of those other ITC crime fighting tv series of that era but that's no bad thing as I love all those type of shows!

I really liked Gerald Harper (Adam Adamant) and Juliet Harmer (Georgina Jones) in this series, I thought they were perfectly cast.

The only down point is, and I'm very sorry to bring this up here, that old bug bear especially amongst us Doctor Who fans, 'the missing episodes' that are lost mostly from series two of 'Adam Adamant Lives'. :(

Yes noticed that while going trough the viewing notes. Only one missing from series 1 and Series 2 only has 2 episodes surviving. Sad state of British TV
The Nimon

Postby Llamastrangler » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Here's hoping some of those episodes have been found.

Is it just me, or does Adam Adamant Lives have the greatest theme tune of all time?
Have a look at my blog. It's sort of ok

http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot.com/
Llamastrangler

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Llamastrangler wrote:Here's hoping some of those episodes have been found.

Is it just me, or does Adam Adamant Lives have the greatest theme tune of all time?

Yeah the theme tune, which was sung by Kathy Kirby, was quite memorable. I thought It sounded a little bit like a James Bond/Shirley Bassey type theme song. Very enjoyable. :)

And here it is.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Llamastrangler » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:49 pm

I think it sounds a lot like the Shirley Bassey James Bond themes, in a delightfully cheeky way!

Llamastrangler

Postby The Ginger Cat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:13 am

The Nimon wrote:Started watching this today, the first episode. It's rather good, I thought it'd be a bit slow like most 60s stuff but the first episode had a really good fast pace.

So my lord 'Nimon', how goes this then? What did you think of the rest of 'Adam Adamant Lives' series? :)
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Nimon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Started watching this today, the first episode. It's rather good, I thought it'd be a bit slow like most 60s stuff but the first episode had a really good fast pace.

So my lord 'Nimon', how goes this then? What did you think of the rest of 'Adam Adamant Lives' series? :)

Sadly i've got a bit side tracked, as ever. Got 6 episodes in and its good fun, will try and get back to it soon.
The Nimon

Postby Deleted User 5445 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 pm

BBC4 repeated some episodes of this around 2006 which I watched and enjoyed. They repeated a lot of the Emma Peel Avengers shows around this time also.

I remember during the mid 90s the BBC use to repeat a few cult 60s programmes on Friday evenings (along with a Gerry Anderson favourite) which is where I first saw 'The Champions' and 'Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)' it would have been nice if they had of repeated 'Adam Adamant Lives' as well.
Deleted User 5445

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:44 am

The Nimon wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:

Sadly i've got a bit side tracked, as ever. Got 6 episodes in and its good fun, will try and get back to it soon.

Did you ever get round to finishing off watching this series then? :)
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Nimon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:37 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:
The Nimon wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:

Did you ever get round to finishing off watching this series then? :)

Not yet, need to get back to it at some point. :oops:
The Nimon

Postby Llamastrangler » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:18 am

Every time I read this thread the theme tune gets lodged in my head!!!

Llamastrangler

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:43 am

Llamastrangler wrote:Every time I read this thread the theme tune gets lodged in my head!!!

lol, it's the 'So clever..but oh, so vulnerable.' line used throughtout the series that keeps running through mine! :)
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Kajaboy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Llamastrangler wrote:Every time I read this thread the theme tune gets lodged in my head!!!

This?

My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby Celestial Toymaker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:07 am

The Ginger Cat wrote:

lol, it's the 'So clever..but oh, so vulnerable.' line used throughtout the series that keeps running through mine! :)

The lines "Bold as a knight in white armour. Cold as a shot from a gun" will be going through MY mind for days now. I just wish I could buy this series in The United States on region 1/NTSC. I've seen four or five on You Tube and enjoyed them much!... 8-)
Celestial Toymaker

Postby Heccypoo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:46 am

I can't remember anything about this TV show, but I loved it as a 3 year old and used to pretend to be Adam Adamant...

Or was I confused with Atom Ant? :oops:

The theme 'song' does say Up and at them Atom,Atom Ant... :mrgreen:
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby image45 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:07 am

still find it amazing/odd that I can just get my DVD box set out if I wish to watch any of the episodes.

I used to spend my time searching out any BBC F&VTL copies that had leaked out of the BBC archives on VHS. The challenge was of course attempting to find low generation dubs to DVD and complete versions as the audio tracks were often on sep-mags.
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby johnnybear » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 am

I remember buying some bootlegs off the net years ago which were absolutely terrible in quality, really unwatchable! Glad they brought out the DVD set!
JB
johnnybear

Postby shuzbot » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 pm

I am watching a bit of Adam Adamant, never seen it before but it always gets mentioned in conjunction with Who so I thought I would give it a go!

The image quality is really good - must be 625 line :P
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:12 am

It did amuse me that he lived atop a multi-storey car park...
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Next

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers