What's the last film you watched?

Discussion of other programmes including vintage and rare TV and films

What's the last film you watched?

Postby Rassilon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:09 pm

This is the last one I watched

This is the Game of Rassilon!
Rassilon

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: What's the last film you watched?

Postby OptikaNET » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:13 pm

"Star Trek: Into Darkness" but I'm hoping to see "Man of Steel" soon. I recorded "Despicable Me" earlier today and there is something called "Skeletons" on later tonight that I may watch.

Kind Regards
Dave
OptikaNET

Postby iank » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. Still funny. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:46 pm

"Dracula" (1958) starring Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing on Blu-ray,I think it's the best version and one of the best Hammer films.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Allons-y » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:51 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:"Dracula" (1958) starring Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing on Blu-ray,I think it's the best version and one of the best Hammer films.

It's not really faithful to the book is it? The 1992 Bram Stoker's Dracula is the best Dracula film I've seen
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:16 am

Allons-y wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:"Dracula" (1958) starring Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing on Blu-ray,I think it's the best version and one of the best Hammer films.

It's not really faithful to the book is it? The 1992 Bram Stoker's Dracula is the best Dracula film I've seen

That's certainly true but I don't think any of the film versions of Dracula have been entirely faithful to the book have they?
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Allons-y » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:07 am

The Ginger Cat wrote:
Allons-y wrote:

That's certainly true but I don't think any of the film versions of Dracula have been entirely faithful to the book have they?

Not entirely no, most have been major departures, but the 1992 film comes closest (at least out of those I've seen). Even then it has major differences though, including an expanded backstory for Dracula, which doesn't entirely make sense to me (specifically the blood come from the cross perplexes me).
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:59 am

Bought some Laurel and Hardy DVD's in town the other day, so those I guess.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:19 am

Allons-y wrote:

While the 1992 version is the closest to the book in terms of characters and scenes, but the tone is all wrong. They turned it into a love story and made Dracula into some sort of sympathetic romantic hero. I can't possibly believe that anyone would want to be with this guy after he raped and murdered their best friend. Also the acting is awful, especially in the scenes between Oldman and Reeves where they seem to be partaking in a game of overacting vs underacting. Only Hopkins gives a decent proformence.

The 1958 may not be the most faithful, but at least the title character is not completely diffrent from the source material which in my opinion is more important.

Also, a minor complaint, why doesn't the 1992 version not have Bram Stokers name in the credits. I know it's above the title but that doesn't count.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby Allons-y » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:26 am

The Krynoid man wrote:
Allons-y wrote:

While the 1992 version is the closest to the book in terms of characters and scenes, but the tone is all wrong. They turned it into a love story and made Dracula into some sort of sympathetic romantic hero. I can't possibly believe that anyone would want to be with this guy after he raped and murdered their best friend. The whole backstory makes no sense etheir. So your wife commits suicide and therefore is going to hell,so you take your revenge by becoming a vampire, makes perfect sense to me. Also the acting is awful, especially in the scenes between Oldman and Reeves where they seem to be partaking in a game of overacting vs underacting. Only Hopkins gives a decent proformence.

The 1958 may not be the most faithful, but at least the title character is not completely diffrent from the source material.

Also, a minor complaint, why doesn't the 1992 version not have Bram Stokers name in the credits. I know it's above the title but that doesn't count.

I tend not to watch the credits on movies so I couldn't say. The backstory was dreadful, but thankfully occupies little of the film. I think the tone is fine, and the acting is acceptable, the portrayal of Dracula I feel is much closer to the way Bram Stoker wrote him, than the suave gentleman of a vampire which was perpetuated in many of the film versions of Dracula. In my view, Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor, almost as bad as Nicolas Cage, but I think his acting here is actually quite good. The only complaint I really have about it, is that I think the look of the thing isn't quite right; I don't like Dracula's costume, or the way the castle is depicted and then there is the awful muscle/shell looking armour in the flashback -those sorts of things, but it remains a solid and faithful adaptation of a brilliant novel.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:44 am

The trouble is Dracula isn't a suave gentleman in the book, that originated from Lugosi's protrail. The character in the book is like the one in Nosferatu, an ugly, pathetic monster. Oldman's Dracula is a pathetic monster (empisis of pathetic) but in a completely diffrent way, rather than just having a pathetic existance, hes just winey and throws a hissy fit when he doesn't get his own way. Also we're supposed to like him, which we wern't supposed to in the book.

I think Lee is the best Dracula because he could be both the gentlemen and the monster, and change between the two in a second. But to each his own.
The Krynoid Man

Postby Allons-y » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:30 am

The Krynoid man wrote:The trouble is Dracula isn't a suave gentleman in the book, that originated from Lugosi's protrail. The character in the book is like the one in Nosferatu, an ugly, pathetic monster. Oldman's Dracula is a pathetic monster (empisis of pathetic) but in a completely diffrent way, rather than just having a pathetic existance, hes just winey and throws a hissy fit when he doesn't get his own way. Also we're supposed to like him, which we wern't supposed to in the book.

I think Lee is the best Dracula because he could be both the gentlemen and the monster, and change between the two in a second. But to each his own.

Yeah, I do like Lee's portrayal, but feel Oldman's is closer to the book. I agree, that Oldman was a bit too hissy, but in the book, he was prone to certain fits of rage, although not quite in the same style. I feel the backstory in the 1992 version doesn't really help things at all and should have been left out. I don't like the suave gentleman portrayal, as you say it wasn't in the book, and even though Oldman doesn't entirely pull it off, I appreciate that he is trying to portray the character in a way unlike that gentleman and more like in the book. On the whole I would say that the 1992 version is attempting to remain true to the book, and doesn't entirely pull it off, but I appreciate that they are trying, and it is a good little film. I do like how Lee could suddenly become monsterous, I saw Dracula Prince of Darkness the other night, and even though Lee did not speak a single word in the film and actually appeared rather infrequently, he stole the show with his fantastic portrayal.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:39 am

I agree. I don't think Coppola pulled off being faithful to the book but I do give credit for trying.
The Krynoid Man

Postby chap with wings » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:46 am

Star Trek Into Darkness, before that it was Les Miserables
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:31 pm

chap with wings wrote:Star Trek Into Darkness, before that it was Les Miserables

What did you think of it, I thought it was okay but I felt it was a poor mans Wrath of Khan.
The Krynoid Man

Postby ianj » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:57 pm

We watched Len Deightons Funeral in Berlin last night with Michael Caine,great old film,especially Col.Stock, the russian character!
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby chap with wings » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:40 pm

The Krynoid man wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Star Trek Into Darkness, before that it was Les Miserables

What did you think of it, I thought it was okay but I felt it was a poor mans Wrath of Khan.

I quite liked it, but where des it fit in with Star Trek continuity? Want Khan Indian?
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:25 pm

It's set in an alternate timeline that exists alongside the timeline from the TV series.
The Krynoid Man

Postby Allons-y » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Robert Watkins wrote:I watched Jack and The Giant Slayer, a good bit of fun, complete no-brainer to sit and watch. All British cast, bar Stanley Tucci. It's a take on Jack and The Beanstalk, the ending is quite fun...better than the one they did in the final episode of Merlin.

Started Quartet, bit dull, predictable. Okay for the older folk I guess.

I saw Quartet at the cinema with my folks, it was deadly boring, but they loved it.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

Allons-y

Postby LizR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:59 am

The Bourne Supremacy
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Next

Return to OTHER TV SHOWS & FILMS