14%
No
55%
Don't know/too early to tell
31%

Total votes : 74

Chris Chibnall: What do we Expect?

Postby MaxBlack » Wed May 06, 2015 1:51 pm

I can't believe that Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was written by the same person who wrote Day One (the Torchwood ep about the lethal orgasm-eating gas monster). I wouldn't mind Chibnall taking over either. I mean, the first series of Broadchurch did pretty well...
"Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain."
MaxBlack

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby The Nimon » Wed May 06, 2015 8:37 pm

MaxBlack wrote:I can't believe that Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was written by the same person who wrote Day One (the Torchwood ep about the lethal orgasm-eating gas monster). I wouldn't mind Chibnall taking over either. I mean, the first series of Broadchurch did pretty well...

Oh please no. Not the man who is the Pip and Jane Baker of the modern era. I'd rather like the next showrunner to be a non fan myself. Most of the ones during the Moffat years have written great stories
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby MaxBlack » Wed May 06, 2015 11:07 pm

The Nimon wrote:Oh please no. Not the man who is the Pip and Jane Baker of the modern era.

Which of course is brilliantly ironic if you've seen that Trial DVD. :lol:

I'd rather like the next showrunner to be a non fan myself. Most of the ones during the Moffat years have written great stories

Well, that's a point - but would any non-fan WANT the job? Has it become a poisoned chalice? (By which I mean, does the show's huge reputation and seemingly-unpleasable fanbase put people off?) I honestly don't know.
"Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain."
MaxBlack

Postby The Nimon » Thu May 07, 2015 8:59 am

MaxBlack wrote:Which of course is brilliantly ironic if you've seen that Trial DVD. :lol:

It is fun watching that interview and the things he complains about, things he has ended up doing himself.

Well, that's a point - but would any non-fan WANT the job? Has it become a poisoned chalice? (By which I mean, does the show's huge reputation and seemingly-unpleasable fanbase put people off?) I honestly don't know.

I'm sure there would be someone out there that would like the challenge. I enjoy the episodes where its not a known name in fandom as I think they do tend to bring in something new.
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby shuzbot » Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 am

https://twitter.com/suevertue/status/860238830925950977

Personally, I look forward to the change but don't expect much from him. Saying that Moffat wrote the best stories of the RTD era and I don't rate him as a showrunner. I think they should bring back the old producer/head writer system but there you go.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Re: Chris Chibnall: What do we Expect?

Postby iank » Fri May 05, 2017 10:44 am

The man needs the powers of Lazarus after the damage Moffat's done to this show's popularity, credibility and watchability. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Fri May 05, 2017 12:03 pm

I don't know what to expect as yet. I seem to recall that most of the stuff he did for "Torchwood" was pretty dire, although he produced a couple of pretty good episodes ("Fragments" and "Adrift" in the second series, since you ask). We also tried to watch "Broadchurch" but it was so boring compared to any other detective show you can mention, from "The Bridge" to "Father Brown", that we gave up after a few episodes. He is certainly no Ann Cleeves, but that doesn't mean he can't showrun Dr Who - especially if he follows the advice Armando Iannucci gave in a talk we went to recently: "How do you make good television? Find people whose ideas you like, and let them get on with it."
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby James-S » Fri May 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Not much quite honestly though naturally I'm hoping for a miracle in turning this frustratingly ailing show around when he takes over. And given his previous, somewhat underwhelming contributions to the show a "miracle" is certainly needed.

Perhaps against all the odds then Chibbers can defy incorrigible sceptics like me by giving the show a timely injection, if only to put it out of its misery.

I want to believe, I really do. :cry:

In the meantime and with genuine regret I'm not going to bother watching the rest of Moff's final season as, three episodes in I've scarcely done anything else other than moan. As a long time fan now tragically pushing 40, who was transfixed by the original show as a nipper, religiously buys Big Finish's usually superb output and who loved Nu Who (against expectations) when it triumphantly returned in '05, I'm just not enjoying it anymore. Shame.

I'll try again when Chibbers tenure begins.
James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby johnnybear » Sat May 06, 2017 12:56 pm

It's nice to find a forum where the posters aren't licking Moffat's feet and ramming it down your throat because you disagree with them!
I'm not expecting him to be in the style of Letts, Hinchcliffe or even JNT but anything has got to be better than Moffat and his drivel! Maybe he can write a story where it turns out the gender swapping Time Lords never happened or that it was caused by a virus or something? Curse of The Pythia anyone? :shock:
JB
johnnybear

Postby LizR » Sun May 07, 2017 2:05 am

iank wrote:The man needs the powers of Lazarus after the damage Moffat's done to this show's popularity, credibility and watchability. :D

Or rather the power of Jesus, who (allegedly) raised Lazarus from the dead. :geek:
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Sid Rat » Sun May 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Moffat's been in charge for too long. I think even he realised this. It isn't just the Doctor that needs to regenerate every few years, the production team needs to be refreshed too. Sometimes it works better than others, but it always gives the programme a change of direction and a new lease of life, at least to begin with.

The concern is that the BBC are effectively now 'promoting from within', handing the reigns to individuals who have already written for the series. I therefore expect more of the same in general, although I hope Chibnall understands that Doctor Who should be a show aimed at children which also appeals to adults. Even more than the concept of regeneration, this is the reason for the its longevity. Each era of the programme hooks a new generation of youngsters, many of whom continue to watch into adulthood and introduce it to their own children.

I think it's fair to say that we all had high hopes for Moffat because he'd written some of the very best stories during the RTD era. Ultimately as a showrunner he proved to be a massive disappointment to many, re-using the same plot devices he'd had success with previously and taking the show away from family-friendly, easy to follow storylines and into convoluted and confusing plots that only succeeded in alienating large sections of the audience. His apparent obsession with stories constructed around single eye-catching, but frequently ridiculous, visuals proved another weakness.

Chibnall doesn't have the same pedigree when it comes to Doctor Who scripts Moffat had when he took over. Let's hope he proves to be the opposite as a showrunner. The best thing he can do is concentrate on consistently producing and overseeing good solid straightforward scripts pitched at the right level and let the visuals take care of themselves. In other words, don't try to be too clever.

As I've said elsewhere, more two-part stories would be welcome. Give the scriptwriters a chance to let their stories breathe. Let them establish characters and situations, and slowly build the tension in the first episode to get us all hooked and wanting to tune in the following week to see the resolution.

Of course, most of what I've said is what I would like to see. I don't think any of us can know what to expect from Chibnall's tenure. Time will tell, it always does.
Sid Rat

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Great post. :)
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby LizR » Sun May 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Seconded.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby johnnybear » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 pm

LizR wrote:
iank wrote:The man needs the powers of Lazarus after the damage Moffat's done to this show's popularity, credibility and watchability. :D

Or rather the power of Jesus, who (allegedly) raised Lazarus from the dead. :geek:

But what I want to know is what happened to Lazarus afterwards! Is he still with us today?
JB
johnnybear

Postby Sid Rat » Tue May 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Didn't he dies falling from the tower of Southwark Cathedral when the Doctor blasted him with amplified notes from the church organ? ;)
Sid Rat

Postby LizR » Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 pm

johnnybear wrote:
LizR wrote:

But what I want to know is what happened to Lazarus afterwards! Is he still with us today?
JB

Wikipedia knows all! (Well, something at least...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_of_Bethany#Additional_traditions_about_Lazarus_of_Bethany

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Allons-y » Thu May 11, 2017 2:12 pm

LizR wrote:

Well quite
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby DSJR » Thu May 11, 2017 6:13 pm

'A show aimed at children which also appeals to adults'

Not too sure about the above remark. By 'children' I suspect you may mean older primary school age and teenagers. I was six when I first watched it - half way through the first Dalek story - and most of the more subtle dialogue went over my head, leaving the Daleks themselves to fully get me hooked. I'm desperately hoping Marco Polo will be found as I remember the story boring me to death when it was shown - I was simply too young for it! Coming forward a couple of years and listening to it again recently, 'Masterplan' was by and large a very teenage-upwards scripted story, with a bit of ham thrown in. I was terrified of the Daleks in that one and the final scenes of Sara Kingdom ageing to her death, turning to a skeleton and then dust blowing in the wind still haunts me now - I was nine when that was broadcast and those final scenes were incredibly scary and still vivid fifty one years later. I can't think of anything from the current series that is anything like as powerful, sadly...
DSJR

Postby Sid Rat » Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 am

My earliest memory of watching Doctor Who is from when I was just three! It's only a fragment though from right at the end of a season. I then have further fragmentary memories from some of the stories from the subsequent season. And like you I found it terrifying... but that's what I loved! I used to get agitated just waiting for the football results or Jim'll Fix It to end while I cuddled up to my parents in anticipation of that spooky theme music beginning, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

There's no doubt though that it was aimed at children, despite being made by the drama department. It was scheduled at tea time, marketed via children's programmes such as Blue Peter and Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, featured on Junior Points of View etc. The Web of Fear trailer is specifically aimed at children.

I object to the notion expounded by some that it should now be aimed more at adults. I never liked the Virgin or the BBC 8th and Past Doctors book series for this reason (although I read a lot of them because I suppose I was just desperate for new Doctor Who stories and I could pick them up cheap from local second hand book stores!). With bad language, graphic violence, rape etc. not to mention some impenetrable plots they just weren't Doctor Who; they were something else entirely. Of course, a number of the authors have ended up writing scripts for the 'New' series. Whilst Doctor Who has been kept safe from the more extreme excesses of the aforementioned books it's notable that spin offs such as Torchwood and Class haven't been.

We can never recapture that excitement we experienced as children, but rewatching the stories from those days can bring back a nostalgic shadow of it. At its best, the New series can generate that same sort of feeling (whilst scaring a new generation of kids). Unfortunately for me it just doesn't do it often enough, especially under Moffat. This is because it's either trying to be too clever or too amusing (frequently failing at both) and because the Doctor has become so God-like and his companions often so important to the universe that you never feel either is in any jeopardy.

I guess what I hope rather than expect from Chibnall is that he'll look back through the entire 50+ years of the programme and analyse what makes a really good story and what makes for a poor one, and then apply that knowledge to the scripts he writes and commissions. I want him to ensure plots are coherent and to be able to assign the appropriate number of episodes needed to explore the ideas and tell the story in the most effective fashion. All too often in recent years I've been left with the feeling that some really fine ideas have gone to waste due to a lack of running time and/or the failure to recognise and plug obvious plot holes.
Sid Rat

Postby iank » Sat May 13, 2017 1:47 am

The problem with saying it should be aimed at kids (I don't agree) is that what's deemed acceptable for kids has now rapidly diminished in the age of the nanny state, resulting in the new series not being able to get away with half what the original series did, and seeming sanitized as a result.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Next

Return to The Whittaker Era