Rate "The Mysterious Planet"

Carrot juice, carrot juice, carrot juice...

I'm giving this story/segment of the trial a well-earned.....

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
25%
50%
13%
No votes
13%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 8

Rate "The Mysterious Planet"

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:24 pm

We were told that the show needed to improve while it was off the air...

But were you impressed with this opener?

Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "The Mysterious Planet"

Postby TheWatcher » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:37 pm

4/10

Oh dear, After Season 22 saw the show take a more exciting, fresh adult tone, The rather flat neutered Season 23 gets off to a rather drab start with this vanilla tale. Basically a generic runaround with some interesting ideas but let down by tedious trial interruptions, flat direction and a cheap look and feel to it. This one's not terrible or one of the worst but still nothing noteworthy.
'Image ''Turn around, bright eyes.''
TheWatcher

Postby paulhickling » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:51 am

Yes, this was the beginning of the end when our beloved show would descend into amateur night and not recover. I agree that a decent team should have been able to balance out the problems of the last professional series, and keep it's strengths. The decision to use all OB doesn't help, but that alone didn't do much harm to previous examples, both classics.

Not for no reason have I always said that Collins first full season was the last proper season of Doctor Who. It would never be the same again.

When Mysterious Planet isn't toe curling it's dull. The two rogues are good as is the incidental music, and we all love the opening effect. All else is truly dire.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:44 pm

I remember the disappointment on hearing that the show would be returning for ONLY 14 twenty five minute episodes. I seem to recall some spin that that was one episode more than Season 22!

The opening space station shot promised so much, but I do remember the sinking feeling when the TARDIS then materialised in a cheap looking and overlit set.

This story just seemed to be a toothless romp in a nice location, with a bulky robot hanging around. BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES had already done the post-apocalyptic train station much better - although one good thing was that there were no more badly forced "arguing" scenes between Peri and the Doctor.

As evidence for prosecution I couldn't see what the Doctor did that was so appalling that this was considered worthy as evidence. :?

A passable adventure as a long awaited season opener just wasn't good enough imo.

Disappointing. :(
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Orchid » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:32 pm

Black Orchid

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:07 pm

Apart from the opening space station bit, quite an unremarkable story.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Bingo Mick » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:17 am

Mystery to me why it made it to the screen.
Yeah.
Bingo Mick

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 24, 2020 6:24 pm

Surely an undoubted influence on the (mis)conception of this season?

The 1986 West End musical (flop) called "TIME".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_(musical)

PLOT:

Derived from the 1970s musical The Time Lord by Soames and Daniels, it focuses on contemporary rock musician Chris Wilder, who has been transported with his backup singers and band from a concert to the High Court of the Universe in the Andromeda Galaxy. In light of mankind's strides in space exploration, the Time Lord Melchisedic (loosely based on the title character in the BBC science fiction series Doctor Who) has decided the time has come to examine Earth's people to determine what role they will play in the quest for universal peace, and Wilder and his band are called upon to defend their planet.

Something tells me that JNT and Gary Downie went to see it? :?
Or is this barking up the wrong tree and it's just a coincidence?

Dave Clark talking about his musical Time featuring many stars.

Why didn't Colin just sing this, instead of all that back-firing genocidal Vervoid nonsense.........

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to The Colin Baker Era