The Grand Moffat Moaning Thread

For discussion of the new series from 2005 to the present day hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
chesterfield

1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith is a fairly good actor but he's too young for the role and dressing him like a middle-aged university lecturer isn't going to change that.

2. Karen Gillan

Karen Gillan is a nice girl but she's a mediocre actress not helped by generic writing and misjudged characterisation. Amy shouts, moans, treats her fiance like crap, throws herself at the Doctor more than once (even on her wedding day), and dresses like a bag of rags.

3. New Daleks

Whoever approved the new Dalek design should be fired because they look ridiculous. They're oversized, out of proportion, hunchbacked monstrosities. If there's any truth in the allegation that the BBC wanted them changed to sell new toys then the production team should have said no.

4. New Silurians

The new Silurians don't even look like Silurians they're too human looking and the story was a rehash of the original Pertwee story.

5. The Finale

The first part was okay but the idea of the Doctor's biggest enemies ganging up to put him in a box which would support and heal him is ridiculous. The resolution to the cliffhanger was a total cop out and part two was a boring over complicated runaround it didn't even feel like a season finale it was boring.

6. Steven Moffat

Steven Moffat is a good writer but isn't living up to expectations as showrunner. His series arc was boring, complicated rubbish which called on the audience to remember obscure plot points from months ago and it didn't work. A lot of the fifth series reminded me of 80's Dr Who with a bigger budget. I had high hopes for the Steven Moffat era. After his first year I'm dreading his second waiting to see what else he can screw up. If he doesn't get it right next year we'll see ratings down to 4 million and the show cancelled again. He seems to have no good judgement at all.

7. The Titles & Theme

The title sequence reminds me of an 80's computer game, cartoonish and unexciting it just looks cheap and boring. The opening bars of the music aren't the Dr Who theme it's a completely different piece of music, not that I can hear it anyway thanks to the silly thunderclaps.
chap with wings

I agree with absolutely everything you have just said.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chesterfield

I totally believe that Steven Moffat is the worst thing to happen to Dr Who since Tom Baker was kicked out. He hasn't had one successful original show in his life he just rewrites and adapts other peoples work.
chap with wings

I have said it before and I will say it again. Moffat has ONE original idea (that isnt really that original) and just rehashes it all the time. Gareth Roberts and Paul Cornell for showrunners, Hugh Bonneville as the Doctor and Sheridan Smith as Companion, then I would be happy. :D
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
abominable snowman

I think there will be the beginnings of a backlash if there's nothing original next year. I'm not anti-Moffat but a lot of last year was quite run-of-the-mill bog standard sci-fi fare. It's harsh to judge by one series though.
Victor

You can't have been watching the same series I was then. Moffat and team are doing a grand job, and long may they do so.
Kamelion

Matt Smith is woefully miscast and his costume is appalling
The theme music is a terrible up-tempo dirge performed by a second rate orchestra with a conductor obviously on speed
The Daleks main flaw is that they are all voiced by the talentless Nick Briggs - Thus they all sound identical. At least when we had Royce Mills and Roy Skelton there was a bit of personality - doesn't he do the Cybermen as well? (what a touch for a man captured on film berating the efforts of John Leeson - a truly nice person).
"..and who knows when it will end..."
The Nimon

chesterfield wrote: 2. Karen Gillan

Karen Gillan is a nice girl but she's a mediocre actress not helped by generic writing and misjudged characterisation. Amy shouts, moans, treats her fiance like crap, throws herself at the Doctor more than once (even on her wedding day), and dresses like a bag of rags.
i'm not watching karens acting, Ding, Dong ;)
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Victor

You're watching her dong dong? I'm surprised she could keep it hidden in those short skirts.
Kajaboy

I have to say I agree with most of what's in the opening post. I would also add that it would be nice to have more than half the season made up of stories that are not badly rewritten versions of older stories, SJA stories and rejected stories.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I agree with quite a lot of this, except that I think Matt Smith is very, very good (much to my surprise). And there were some good stories in the last series, but only one by Moffat (the first episode).

Aside from getting in some new writers with fresh ideas, some structural improvements would help no end IMHO - ditch series arcs, and preferably change the format because 42 minutes doesn't work IMHO. And a few other thingts I'm too jet lagged to think of right now.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
bingo99

I've stopped caring. The new series bungs up on average 2 stories I quite like in a season. Even then it isn't a patch on the old show. My Doctor Who fannishness is more excited by classic DVD releases than whatever monster they're bringing back to ruin. Basically, the whole system and ethos of television would have to change to make it a show I could get excited about anymore.To the days when Doctor Who wasn't obsessed with its own populism.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
Kamelion

bingo99 wrote:I've stopped caring. The new series bungs up on average 2 stories I quite like in a season. Even then it isn't a patch on the old show. My Doctor Who fannishness is more excited by classic DVD releases than whatever monster they're bringing back to ruin. Basically, the whole system and ethos of television would have to change to make it a show I could get excited about anymore.To the days when Doctor Who wasn't obsessed with its own populism.
I agree 100% with this. I too find DVD releases of classic stories infinitely more exciting than the arrival of a new series.
What to do when they've all been released? Blu-Ray of course!!!!!
"..and who knows when it will end..."
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

chesterfield wrote:1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith is a fairly good actor but he's too young for the role and dressing him like a middle-aged university lecturer isn't going to change that.

Proven terribly popular with the GP and fandom in gerneral - personally I think youre wrong and it appears that most others do too.

2. Karen Gillan

Once again I have to disagree, not only is she good in the part but saying she dresses badly ( as if thats a good reason to recast) is just bizarre.

3. New Daleks

Whoever approved the new Dalek design should be fired because they look ridiculous. They're oversized, out of proportion, hunchbacked monstrosities. If there's any truth in the allegation that the BBC wanted them changed to sell new toys then the production team should have said no.

Seem popular enough with the general public - if this is youre main reason for changing production staff Id say it was not a good one - and yes the toys of them have sold really well - personally I like them but to each their own.

4. New Silurians

The new Silurians don't even look like Silurians they're too human looking and the story was a rehash of the original Pertwee story.

This I agree with to a degree; as reptiles they are part of the most diverse species to ever live on Earth and therefore I can accept differences in appearance, however the story was a little too close to the original, and better, Pertwee story

5. The Finale

The first part was okay but the idea of the Doctor's biggest enemies ganging up to put him in a box which would support and heal him is ridiculous. The resolution to the cliffhanger was a total cop out and part two was a boring over complicated runaround it didn't even feel like a season finale it was boring.

As with all these things this is purely your opinion, personally I disagree, I thought it the best season finale since its return but as I said to each their own.

6. Steven Moffat

Steven Moffat is a good writer but isn't living up to expectations as showrunner. His series arc was boring, complicated rubbish which called on the audience to remember obscure plot points from months ago and it didn't work. A lot of the fifth series reminded me of 80's Dr Who with a bigger budget. I had high hopes for the Steven Moffat era. After his first year I'm dreading his second waiting to see what else he can screw up. If he doesn't get it right next year we'll see ratings down to 4 million and the show cancelled again. He seems to have no good judgement at all.

This is just rediculous, the show was a critical and commercial hit, just cause it didnt push your buttons I see no reason to start on the "it'll be cancelled" riff.

7. The Titles & Theme

The title sequence reminds me of an 80's computer game, cartoonish and unexciting it just looks cheap and boring. The opening bars of the music aren't the Dr Who theme it's a completely different piece of music, not that I can hear it anyway thanks to the silly thunderclaps.
Its as good as the Eccles/Tennant Intro, better than any of the 80s crap and nowhere near as good as the late Pertwee/Tom Baker titles, the music is ok - have to admit its grown on me but would definatly prefer a return to the 60's / 70's version
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

chesterfield wrote:I totally believe that Steven Moffat is the worst thing to happen to Dr Who since Tom Baker was kicked out. He hasn't had one successful original show in his life he just rewrites and adapts other peoples work.

Then youre a bit of a fool then arn't you ?
obviously the Hugo awards and the fact that his stories have been the most successful and the Weeping Angels being voted top monster have all been flukes ?
xylok b

Kamelion wrote:
bingo99 wrote:I've stopped caring. The new series bungs up on average 2 stories I quite like in a season. Even then it isn't a patch on the old show. My Doctor Who fannishness is more excited by classic DVD releases than whatever monster they're bringing back to ruin. Basically, the whole system and ethos of television would have to change to make it a show I could get excited about anymore.To the days when Doctor Who wasn't obsessed with its own populism.
I agree 100% with this. I too find DVD releases of classic stories infinitely more exciting than the arrival of a new series.
What to do when they've all been released? Blu-Ray of course!!!!!
I don't know wether i agree with this or not, i get really excited about Classic DVD releases but after the press hype abou the new upcomming series i get pretty excited about that too !
xylok b

markhuk wrote:
chesterfield wrote:I totally believe that Steven Moffat is the worst thing to happen to Dr Who since Tom Baker was kicked out. He hasn't had one successful original show in his life he just rewrites and adapts other peoples work.

Then youre a bit of a fool then arn't you ?
obviously the Hugo awards and the fact that his stories have been the most successful and the Weeping Angels being voted top monster have all been flukes ?

I agree that The Weeping Angels are in the top 3 best monsters deffinately, Time of Angels wasn't bad it as quite dramatic, Flesh and Stone was more meh !
The Daleks deserve to be on par with the Angels, but they really need to do something different with the daleks, something evil and unnerving like having hideous kaled mutants inside th casing or some sort of acid or virus transmitter on the dalek casing to act as a defence , something to make them less cute, bumbling and cuddley. :Dalek:
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Wouldnt say Ive stopped caring but am definately more interested in the classic releases - well prior to the 80's anyway.
Kajaboy

markhuk wrote: Seem popular enough with the general public - if this is youre main reason for changing production staff Id say it was not a good one - and yes the toys of them have sold really well - personally I like them but to each their own.
[/quote]

Endless newspaper articles, letters in DWM, my dad and random people at car boot sales say different. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
bingo99

markhuk wrote:Then youre a bit of a fool then arn't you ?
obviously the Hugo awards
Nominated alongside Star Trek fan videos
markhuk wrote:and the fact that his stories have been the most successful
The more Moffat writes, the more his stock goes down. He does seem to have a limited number of tricks.
markhuk wrote:and the Weeping Angels being voted top monster have all been flukes ?
Who won the best ever Doctor in that 1990 DWM poll?

"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009

Return to “NEW SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information