Last Who You Watched

Discussion of the classic series of Doctor Who hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
iank

Seems like an idea for a thread. :6doctor:

Aside from the dreadful opening episodes of series 7 of NuPoo, the most recent I've seen was the Galaxy 4 recon/episode 3 on The Aztecs dvd. Really enjoyable. Still not a fan of the recon format but it worked well enough to set up and resolve the story and the episode itself was extremely enjoyable from start to finish with a great TARDIS team on fine form, a simple but interesting story and even some intriguing SF ideas. Really liked it. Can't wait for TUM 2. Find some more, you lazy buggers! :VoidStuff:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Allons-y

So the question is not including either The Rings of Ahkatan (the last ep I saw), or The Bells of Saint John (the second last ep I saw)? The last story I watched before The Bells of Saint John was the Reign of Terror!
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

iank wrote:Seems like an idea for a thread. :6doctor:

Aside from the dreadful opening episodes of series 7 of NuPoo, the most recent I've seen was the Galaxy 4 recon/episode 3 on The Aztecs dvd. Really enjoyable. Still not a fan of the recon format but it worked well enough to set up and resolve the story and the episode itself was extremely enjoyable from start to finish with a great TARDIS team on fine form, a simple but interesting story and even some intriguing SF ideas. Really liked it. Can't wait for TUM 2. Find some more, you lazy buggers! :VoidStuff:
Oh and I am hoping that they animate the missing episodes of The Underwater Menace now that there are only two missing, the fact that they haven't even announced a release yet seems suggestive.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
chap with wings

I am half way through The Reign of Terror.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
The Nimon

One episode away from the end of Pyramids of Mars with the commentry and info txt on
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Kamelion

Recently had my 6 year old nephew over to stay and showed him 'The Greatest Show in the Galaxy'..... I couldn't have wished for a better reaction!!! He was petrified of the Chief Clown, laughed at Nord and the Stallslady and virtually shat his pants when Mags turned into a werewolf!!!
Jolly good time was had by all :D
"..and who knows when it will end..."
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Does "Power of the Daleks Reimagined" count?
WHOis007?

I polished off The Sontaran Experiment.... tried to make it through The Happiness Patrol but just couldn't take it no more.
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Not sure. I think I'm getting my memories mixed up by reading too much "Wife in Space".
Allons-y

LizR wrote:Not sure. I think I'm getting my memories mixed up by reading too much "Wife in Space".
That is a good blog
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

The Nimon

Halfway through Mark Of The Rani with the commentry on
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Wolfboy FM

I just finished off Doctor Who and the Silurians yesterday, working my way through a ton I've bought over the last week.
aggedor

The Twin Dilemma, just to see if it was as bad as I remembered. Needlesss to say, it was :lol:
Bobspoons

Almost through Invasion Of The Bad Models... er.... Dinosaurs
Posting name Bobspoons, real name Alex

PS: The avatar picture is "Alfred Chicken", for those of you who love the CBM-Amiga. Saw his pic in an avatar collection, wndered why he was there and decided somebody should keep the legend of Alfred alive.
OptikaNET

I'm trying to complete my collection at the moment, which means I'm buying - and watching - stories I had previously not prioritised.

So I just finished watching "The Mutants", before that I watched "Time Monster", "Underworld" and "Horns of Nimon", on Saturday "Terror of the Autons", "Colony in Space", "Death to the Daleks", "Revenge of the Cybermen" and "Silver Nemesis" all dropped onto my doorstep and await watching.

Also, "The Name Of The Doctor" just got watched three times...

Kind Regards
Dave
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

OptikaNET wrote:Also, "The Name Of The Doctor" just got watched three times...
Well to be honest watching any old Who, you're really watching TNOTD as well, because Clara was split over the Doctor's timeline 'n all that stuff. If you look closely you can sometimes spot Clara in the background. No, really, they've been planning this for 50 years.

(And apparently Steven Moffat tripped over a big ball of timey-wimey stuff, and that's how one eyeball got lodged in his navel and the other one up his backside...)
Telly Smasher

Mind of Evil. In B&W. Not long to go before I can watch it in colour again :D
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Watched Nightmare in Silver and NOTD yesterday, and am doing an all-Who-from-the-start, including recons of missing stories on a nightly basis, and am just nearing the end of Dalek Invasion of Earth.

On the whole I'm enjoying the scripts for the historical Hartnells much more than the sf ones. Apart from The Daleks, the dialogue is really clunky in a way I never noticed quite so much, whereas Marco Polo (in colour of course), and The Aztecs are vastly superior and Hartnell and his cast really excel in them.

Keys of Marinus is interesting in a series within a series sort of way, but is utter nonsense at times with light relief coming from moments like the Morphoton's eyeball flopping over, the cardboard cutout Voord falling to it's 'death', and the one who trips over his flipper. The trial episode is dull beyond belief and has nothing about it whatsoever to make it look like it's not an Earthbound piece. And why in ep 2 do our heroes stand next to a bush while a few yards away people are going missing behind that idol?? And why does everyone leave Barbera on her own with that old letch in Snows of Terror??

Sensorites could be an early Star Trek with it's human/alien drama, but like the above suffers from crap sci-fi, and logic. How did the Sensorites build the flippin' underground reservois when they get in such a tiz over the darK?? And what's with the aliens not only being unable to tell humans apart but also THEMSELVES!! Otherwise the creatures are quite well realised. Surprisingly good shot of the spaceship flying away at the end. Shame we couldn't have a similar shot to establish at the start.

Enjoyed Reign of Terror. Not quite on a par with Lucarotti's stuff but nice characters and reasonable dialogue. Interesting moment with Napoleon. Not totally convinced by Hartnell's masquerade, but some reasonable action and nice teeny bit of location filming with a lookalike strolling through some fields.

Planet of Giants well achieved with what facilities they had. Interesting journey so far though. Might get a bit heavy when the recons really start coming, but am determined to do it.
iank

I threw on The End of Time last night but turned it off after 10 minutes on the grounds that it's bloody awful. Even the voiceover at the start is hilariously badly written ("Everyone had bad dreams... but they forgot.. because they must... except for that guy... but he can't remember it much either..."). I ended up watching The Hungry Earth 2parter.

To be fair, it's not very good, but it's watchable enough and doesn't really go downhill until the second part. The NuSilurians are hilariously bad. It would be unbearable as a Tennant story, and as a series 7 story, but this is series 5, so Smith is still fresh and quirky and a breath of fresh air and hasn't yet been caricaturized in a series of irritating tics, and its Amy and Rory (before they were messed up by the ludicrous series 6 arc) rather than the personality vacuum that is Clara. It's worth watching for the regulars alone. That said, while its passably entertaining there's no getting around the fact that there's just no reason for this story to exist, given that it's just a complete rehash of a story that was done 100,000,000 times better 40 years earlier.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
kellman

i watched the face of evil this morning and loved every second of it especially louise jameson in her skimpy cozzie :P

Return to “CLASSIC SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information