Last Who You Watched

Discussion of the classic series of Doctor Who hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
Plain Old Dave

Wheel In Space, Part Two, on Britbox. My appreciation for the Troughton era is growing. A much lower-key Matt Smith without an Impossible Companion, star-crossed lovers, or mountains of talky histrionics. Good, solid, entertaining TV.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Pity the rest of the world can’t see it, but then we do have the Loose Cannon version and the two extant episodes so it’s not that bad for the rest of us really. :)
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Servorobot wrote:Pity the rest of the world can’t see it, but then we do have the Loose Cannon version and the two extant episodes so it’s not that bad for the rest of us really. :)

The Loose Cannon version is fine for me. I can live with it.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
iank

The Ribos Operation. Just lovely. :)
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Morbius

The Happiness Patrol. A lot of people seem to hate this story. Not me though, I think it's awesome.
Kajaboy

Partway into a rewatch of the classic series. Currently on Mind Of Evil........IN COLOUR.....
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
iank

Greatest Show. Wonderful. :)
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

Plain Old Dave

The Daleks, part 4.
Marco's Voice

The Invasion of Time, part 5. Not one of Tom's finest. And the sontaran's don't take their helmets off in this episode. But Rodan alone makes it worth watching. ;)
The Wooksta!

An Unearthly Child on Thursday.

although I was tempted to watch "Blake's 7: Blake" instead...
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The Deadly Assassin

Robert Holmes' script is great - witty, imaginative, and enriches the Time Lord mythology. The production design is also superb, with the Time Lord robes with the high collars being an instant classic, and I love the staser-pistol design, with its clean Perspex lines. And, finally, Tom Baker is on top form - brilliant, witty, but not too over-the-top.

It is a very good production altogether, and I'm glad to find it still holds up as well as I remember.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
CouncilSpectre

Enlightenment

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a huge DW fan. At least not as much as most here. I grew up with Doctor Who (Davison era onwards) but drifted away when the series ended. Sure I watched the TVM, and I've watched the new series since it re-appeared (mostly, I've grown weary of it in the most recent years), but I've never really gone back and watched much of the classic series since.

Over the past few years I've steadily been picking up the DVDs, with a view to one day having a run through from start to finish (sans missing episodes) - in the past few months, I've started to watch a few serials which I can vaguely remember from my childhood. The most recent of these is the concluding chapter to the Black Guardian trilogy - Enlightenment. It's a decent story, with a pretty good cast. My only disappointment is that I watched the SE, with the new effects, which I don't think are overly impressive. One of the reasons I remember this serial was the exquisite model-work of the racing/sail ships in the original version. That is lost in the SE and the CGI that replaces it is distractingly basic. I feel that I need to rewatch the original version tomorrow, then I'll head into the extras. :)
I aim to misbehave....
iank

Never, ever watch the special editions first. Or, preferably, at all. :P

CouncilSpectre

iank wrote:Never, ever watch the special editions first. Or, preferably, at all. :P
Ha! I'll bear that in mind for future viewings, thanks.
I aim to misbehave....
chap with wings

Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

The ABC are repeating early NuWho weekdays in the afternoon.

It’s just like school holidays in the 70’s,

Anyway I just happened to catch Human Nature today and it reminded me of when NuWho could have really good two parters.

Ah, the good old days! :D
Happygolucky

Had a spiffing day yesterday, at home with time on my hands after i'd serviced my car, watched The Macra Terror and The Faceless Ones, now your talking!!! :D
Regards HGL
History Tourist

"Pyramids of Mars" for the classic series and "The Big Bang" for Nu-Who.
Happygolucky

Watched The Savages last night, I love this yarn, outstanding!! Those of you who know me know how much I love the Trought and want all his stuff found above all else, but I'd be over the moon if this was returned in its entirety, I'd sacrifice the odd Trought episode in return, so long as it didn't rob a story that has no episodes. For me to say that means a lot of love for this story!!
Regards HGL.
Happygolucky

Underwater Menace (my version) Since the addition of episode 2 it has become a decent watch, I watched it Friday just before filling my face and really enjoyed it, okay the underwater scene is still bad, (even Pat wasn't happy) but it's great to see the Trought getting to grips with the Doctor. I wish we had episode 1 though 4 I could get by ( just) without it but in 1 I'd love to see Pat's expression when he shouts "wait!!" before popping on his stove pipe hat and chuckling as he leaves the TARDIS, maybe one day?
Regards HGL

Return to “CLASSIC SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information