Last Who You Watched

Discussion of the classic series of Doctor Who hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
TheWatcher

Inferno: Still an classic, one of the best serials as well as a classic piece of vintage TV.
'Image ''Turn around, bright eyes.''
The Wooksta!

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Watched a few season one episodes, Ringer (series opener), which stars a very quiet, and more scary because of it, Brian Blessed with Ian Hendry as his right hand man, and one of my all time favourite Sweeney episodes, Queen's Pawn. Cracking plot and a veritable Who's Doctor Who of stars - Tony Selby as the main villain, Julian Glover superbly cast as a slimy solicitor, and Morris Perry as Regan's boss Maynon. Blink and you'll miss Gertan Klauber. Bill fans may like to see an early outing, but on the wrong side of the law, for Chris Ellison.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Blimey, Wooksta, must've missed that one. Great to know that Thaw and Waterman joined the usual Who guests on this story... Must be like watching Life on Mars.

You knew someone would have to be clever arsed to see you might've got the wrong thread, and to use Sweeney vernacular, I'm just the baarstard to do it! ;) . Sounds good though with that cast.

Meanwhile ON topic I just finished Sun Makers. Hated it on broadcast and it hasn't improved much, though I do now get the humour, and the two guest baddies are great. But it does look SO cheap and quite dull. One of a few stories I've noticed in my current full Tom run that I actually think could be done in a modern style single episode. Not with the current bunch of course. But I think a single shot would tighten it up and leave us with the sparkling dialogue to take more centre ground. A bit of well placed cgi cutaways might also give a better impression of the fuller population too. At four episodes I'm too aware that Pluto only really consists of a handful of fellers and a couple of women.
The Wooksta!

TBH I realised I'd posted in the wrong thread but by then it was too late to do anything about it. Amazingly, it's taken a week for anyone to actually notice.

I have of course watched The Robots of Death this week.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Up to Invisible Enemy 3 last night. First time I watched since getting the dvd and remembered I never got around to doing the BBC replacement swap for the faulty original disc, so it ended a bit weird. About right though since I watched this and Sun Makers wrong way round...
TheWatcher

The Faceless Ones: As with Power, It's a good story but the animation is a bit of a letdown.
'Image ''Turn around, bright eyes.''
History Tourist

A friend of mine is just discovering classic Who and watching them in order. I've been watching early stories so I can discuss them with her, and share some behind the scenes stories from the commentary tracks. The last one I watched is "The Sensorites." Need to rewatch "Planet of Giants" now, she's starting to get ahead of me.
johnshoo

I finally gave up my boycott of the Underwater Menace DVD release, since it's dirt cheap now. So I guess they can finally get around to animating it. :P
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

TheWatcher wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:24 pm
The Faceless Ones: As with Power, It's a good story but the animation is a bit of a letdown.
The animation does the story no favours at all. The recon is far less dull.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Creature From the Pit eps 1 and 2 last night. Couldn't believe how good episode 1 looked on beautifully shot film. Easily as good as anything shot since 2005.
Happygolucky

Watched Master Plan on Blu-ray, Loose Cannon, I've downloaded the highest quality available, including the extant episodes,( I didn't use my Lost in Time versions, it would have been too much of a difference) burnt them to a blank Blu-ray disc, apart from the sound on certain episodes being below par, it looked fecking pin sharp!!. I do hope that this turns up from Australia, it's fantastic!!!. I've put my original standard DVD on a shelf and just popped this Blu-ray disc in the same case, all good.
Regards HGL
History Tourist

The Space Museum -- started a "watch the whole series (or what's left of it) in order" thing and that was as far as I got.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Power of Kroll on Saturday as part of a tweet along
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
WildcatMatt

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:36 pm
Power of Kroll on Saturday as part of a tweet along
I think the last Who I watched start to finish was Logopolis last year in preparation for the final Grumpcast.

I've watched some installments of Danger Man while folding laundry though.

Being a parent of two kids under 7 during lockdown is a pain in the butt.
"The truth is, these are not very bright guys — and things got out of hand."
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Sat through The Faceless Ones cartoon thingy. Tedious stuff I'm afraid. Found it quite a slog. The only slight amusement for me was for a while there I thought the Inspector Crossland (Bernard Kay) cartoon figure seemed to have his pipe perma-attached to his f*****g hand.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Haven’t watched any Who since the rewatch finished.

Haven’t bought anything since the S14 blu-ray.

I’d start up the rewatch if enough people are interested, otherwise it’s a pain to try and organise.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I'm game. ;)
Reuben

Talons of Weng Chiang watched tonight. Keep expecting it to be overly familiar and consequently dull, but it keeps defying me. Good writing overcomes all.
iank

The Faceless Ones. Watched 1&2 last week, 3&4 this week. Enjoying it more this time than earlier in the year. Not sure why; maybe the 4:3 black and white version is more appropriate for it, or maybe, given I was in the middle of really hardcore marathonning both Wicked Science season 1 and Neighbours 2004 at the time, I just wasn't in the right headspace at all to appreciate an animation of slow-paced 60s TV earlier in the year. :lol:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Stuck on an ol' favourite to cheer meself up, Terror of the Zygons. It didn't disappoint. Sublime stuff.

Return to “CLASSIC SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information