Best Cybermen Story (Classic Series)

Discussion of the classic series of Doctor Who hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Best Cybermen Story (Classic Series)?

The Tenth Planet
4%
Moonbase
6%
Tomb of the Cybermen
19%
Wheel in Space
6%
Invasion
47%
Revenge of the Cybermen
4%
Earthshock
9%
Attack of the Cybermen
2%
Silver Nemesis
2%

Total votes: 47
shuzbot

I do enjoy Tenth Planet but its absence of Hartnell for a large portion of the second half holds it back. Moonbase doesn't have the same iconic images but the idea of poisoning the sugar is rather good. Tomb of the Cybermen is great and I have some very fond memories of it being returned and released on VHS. I have never watched a whole recon of Wheel so I withhold judgment on that one.

I remember Revenge being one of the first Tom Baker stories I watched as a kid, after watching Silver Nemesis on Broadcast. Didn't really get what they were from that story as, like Earthshock it, lacks the body horror of Cyber-conversion. Attack of the Cybermen is lopsided but fun.

Invasion has to be my favourite as there is so much to get your teeth into. Four suspenseful episodes before they even introduce the Cybermen and Tobias Vaughan is massively entertaining.
iank

Invasion for me too, followed by Attack. Most good though. If you want a good laugh, line up all the classic series Cybermen stories next to the new series ones for comparison. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Tomb, chillin'...
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Yeah it’s Invasion for me too. It’s the best by miles. Tomb is second though and I’ll always have a soft spot for Earthshock as it brought the Cybernen back after such a long absence and it bumped Adric off!
The Krynoid Man

Earthshock
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

This is really difficult! The early stories freaked me out as a kid, and as an adult I can see that the Cybermen gradually got less scary / more vulnerable to almost everything in the universe as time went on, so I reckon it has to be one of the early ones which aren't all still with us (or not in their original form).

So after a lot of thought I ruled out Tomb because it's got such a ridiculous story (yeah hindsight I know) and Invasion because it's too long and doesn't have enough cybermen, plus it has the most unscary bit of clock watching at the end. And Wheel has the silly spacewalk, and Tenth planet has the costumes, so I'm kind of going for Moonbase, which has the Phantom Piper, that's a good enough reason.
Child of Auron

I have plumped for The Invasion. Granted it isn't the best Cybermen story but it is the best story to feature the Cybermen.

You have Troughton (excellent as always), Kevin Stoney giving a fantastic, chilling performance as Tobias Vaughn, UNIT's first appearance, Don Harper's creepy score and of course it is directed by Douglas Camfield - you can't go wrong.

The story doesn't drag, even over eight episodes. It's my favourite Cyberman story, my favourite story of season six, it's my favourite Troughton story.
Alex B

I have voted for The Moonbase because I'm such a fan of it.
Kajaboy

The Invasion, although the Cybermen are hardly in it.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
chap with wings

The Invasion - no contest
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
-JMW-

Invasion, followed closely by Earthshock. Both in first place (along with the Five Doctors).
Moonbase and Tomb are solid b movie style schlock so I like them - both second place
Tenth Planet has those awful costumes and a nonsense "invasion"...but the Cybers for a short stint do threaten so the story must remain in the top five

Wheel, Revenge and Attack are padded bore fests for much of the time, which is a shame as they have gritty potential. Marks knocked down in Revenge for the stupid Cybermat redesign as a worm-thing(!?!).

Silver Nemesis is the worst Doctor Who adventure - utter mess filled with too many disparate caricatures and Cybermen who are less a threat than a joke. People standing/wandering around when they should be in full on panic mode...music that destroys any chance of mood. Amateur hour.

------------
The Cybermen have overall been better deployed in the new series than the seventies/eighties (apart from Earthshock)...but it's not saying much as they tend to be an "invincible" army easily defeated in the classic and new eras. Nightmare in Silver came close to the right balance of threat, but it needed two parts to sufficiently explore the strands of narrative.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

'Revenge of the Cybermen' for me.

It was the earliest cyber story I watched on TV. It has the best ever design of the Cybermen. The Cybermats (radio controlled on the floor) are very creepy, but when climbing over furniture or leaping/attacking they look very unrealistic.

Tom Baker gives a superb performance. And the best TARDIS team of Sarah and Harry. What's not to like?
Kranger

ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN for me. Love the sewer scenes - quite eerie, this serial also has a stronger level of body horror than what’s been seen in previous Cyber-stories.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Invasion, by a country mile. Simply superb.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
ericthehalfabee

The best is indeed The Invasion.

My favourite though is Revenge :twisted:
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I've been thinking about this a lot.

I whittled it down to the sixties stories, as I thought that the Cybermen were more menacing in the sixties.

I finally decided on The Moonbase, as I found that story to be very eerie. The setting was quite claustrophobic and I loved how the Cybermen came across. I know we've only got two episodes of this story, but I found it to be very creepy and The Cybermen were Cybermen were at their best in the Base under siege format.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Moonbase was good but Tomb had more atmosphere I think.
shuzbot

Apart from Revenge and Silver Nemesis, they all have something special about them. Attack may be messy but had some good ideas and I suppose you could argue Nemesis did as well - but Battlefield did the same thing better for me. Earthshock didn't have anything to do with Cyberconversion and so arguably isn't a Cyberman story cos they could just as easily have been Zygons or even Sontarans. I think you could say the same about Nemesis there.
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

The Ginger Cat wrote:The Moonbase was good but Tomb had more atmosphere I think.
I liked Tomb as well. :)

It was quite a tough choice for me.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
History Tourist

Bunch of good stories in the 60s and 70s, but I think I'll have to go with "Invasion" as my favorite of the lot.

Return to “CLASSIC SERIES DISCUSSION”

• Information