Series 12 Ratings Thread

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Ye obligatory Series 12 ratings and stuff thread. Post 'em here if you must...
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

OVERNIGHT FIGURES FOR SERIES 12:

Spyfall: Part 1: 4.88m
Spyfall: Part 2: 4.60m

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who ... -91601.htm

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Series 11's overnights:
[b]Ep 01: [/b] 8.2m [b]Ep 02: [/b] 7.11m [b]Ep 03: [/b] 6.39m [b]Ep 04: [/b] 6.43m [b]Ep 05: [/b] 6.12m [b]Ep 06: [/b] 5.77m [b]Ep 07: [/b] 5.93m [b]Ep 08: [/b] 5.66m [b]Ep 09: [/b] 5.07m [b]Ep 10: [/b] 5.32m [b]Res : [/b] 5.15m [b]Series 11 Ratings Thread:[/b] [url]http://www.planetmondas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=6359[/url] .

richt1963

4.88 Million.

Thats really not great is it. Less than Resolution. 40% Less that Ep 01 Series 11. Certainly going on the overnights they've still got a lot of ground to make up to convince viewers this is Appointment TV once again. Personally although the episode looked awesome - the same thing can be said about most of Series 11 - its the content that is still weak. Especially Jodies interpretation of the Doctor and two of the three 'Fam' Members who are very weak indeed.

It'll be very interesting to see if there is any growth at all in overnight viewing figures as the series progresses. Very interesting indeed.

Overall I think Chibnall and his writing crew have - 'mended' a show that was not broken in the first place - Hence certainly the steady lowering of the overnights.

Looking forward to see what overnight ratings the other 9 episodes generate. Especially The Cybermen story.

Does anyone know what the other channels achieved at the same time?

Or what the excellent Dracula achieved. (Scared the bejesus out of me last night. First time in ages I've had images from a TV Show playing back in my mind as I settled down for a nights sleep).
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I think the pattern suggests that it will keep going down. Also think they will be lucky if things like the Cybermen even get them back up to or maintain the starting high of 4:88m. Doubt very much that it would ever actually go above that this season.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

richt1963 wrote:
Or what the excellent Dracula achieved. (Scared the bejesus out of me last night. First time in ages I've had images from a TV Show playing back in my mind as I settled down for a nights sleep).

According to this article it got even less overnight than WHO: :?

https://deadline.com/2020/01/dracula-do ... 202819405/

The 90-minute Hartswood Films drama, the first of three parts, was watched by an audience of 3.6M between 9PM and 10.30PM on BBC One, according to BARB figures supplied by overnights.tv.
While also discussing WHO:
Billed as the most ambitious episode of Doctor Who ever, its overnight audience was Whittaker’s lowest yet as the Tardis-travelling Time Lord. It was also well down on her debut in season 11, which drew 8.2M viewers in October 2018.

See also: :)

Dracula (2020):

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5678

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I have read one article spinning that at least the 4.88m still beats Capaldi:

It was not all bad news for Whittaker, however. Her second season opener beat Peter Capaldi’s equivalent episode, which was seen 4.6M in September 2015.
I find that hard to believe somehow. Can anyone confirm Peter's overnight's? This would not be the first time they have praised Whittaker at the expense of poor Peter. :(

Rubbernecking

Before blame is being directed at Jodie and the production, it is also worth remembering the BBC behaved like massive a******** during the recent UK election. So there could be a "Boycott the BBC" action, not yet "unionised" going on.
A low figure for Doctor Who (far lower than it deserved, Spyfall is a huge step up) could be expected. But a lower figure as well for big modern up to date but in an historical setting brand brand new Dracula?
Unpopular opinion in 3...2... Maybe people just had better things to do on New Year's Day and TV just wasn't on their priorities?
Be interesting to see how many licence fees get renewed this year. Couldn't come at a worse time for the show. It's showing huge signs of turning around, slap bang in the middle of viewers contempt for the BBC.
shuzbot

DW has always had a disproportionately large part of its audience view on catch up services like Iplayer, ratings always decline over a Doctor's era, and it's still above Capaldi's ratings in his final series. Plus, as Rubbernecking says there is a boycott thing going on, although I think the impact from that will be minimal. It really isn't as bad as people are making out.
shuzbot

Cygnus Prime wrote: Image
Second post here, viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4255
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

shuzbot wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote: Image
Second post here, viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4255
The overnight ratings for episode one are in:

4.58m (21.2%)

Oh well, I can't argue with that.

Not his fault though. Poor Peter. A potentially brilliant Doctor (and still far superior imo to whatever the heck Whittaker is doing in the role).

He deserved far better (writing). :(
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Cygnus Prime wrote:I have read one article spinning that at least the 4.88m still beats Capaldi:

It was not all bad news for Whittaker, however. Her second season opener beat Peter Capaldi’s equivalent episode, which was seen 4.6M in September 2015.
I find that hard to believe somehow. Can anyone confirm Peter's overnight's? This would not be the first time they have praised Whittaker at the expense of poor Peter. :(

The Nimon wrote:The overnight ratings for episode one are in:

4.58m (21.2%)

More later on how far it is on the chart for the day. Just a reminder that this is only the unofficial overnight rating and the all important final ratings come next week.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Bowtiesarecool wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote:I have read one article spinning that at least the 4.88m still beats Capaldi:

The Nimon wrote:The overnight ratings for episode one are in:

4.58m (21.2%)

More later on how far it is on the chart for the day. Just a reminder that this is only the unofficial overnight rating and the all important final ratings come next week.

Thanks Shuzbot and Bowties for the links/info. :)
johnshoo

richt1963 wrote:4.88 Million. Discuss.
I suspect the year long gap after a fairly dull series 11 saw a lot of people lose interest. I know I barely paid any attention to Who in 2019 and rarely saw anyone talk about it on social media. I even brought up that I read the show was returning on New Year's to my mom at Christmas (she was a big fan during the RTD and Moffatt eras) and she said wasn't really into Who anymore.

However, if more episodes are received positively, as this one seems to be and there's strong word of mouth, I think the numbers will eventually start going up again. Hopefully.
Sid Rat

I wouldn't put too much into any supposed boycott of the BBC. Which side of the political debate has been proposing that? Both complained about bias. At the end of the day, if people are interested in a programme then they'll watch it regardless of their feelings about the BBC and the licence fee.

The overnights are certainly surprising, especially for Doctor Who when you consider that it didn't have much in the way of competition just the usual ITV soaps that are on all the time now. It was supposed to be the BBC's big New Year's Day early evening offering. There was a bit more competition for Dracula with a new ITV series (Bancroft) and the free-to-air premiere of the latest Mission Impossible move on Channel 4. Dracula is rather a 'marmite' proposition; a lot of people will be put off by visceral horror, blood and gore.

Doctor Who on the other hand is supposed to be family entertainment that draws in a wide audience. I rather think it's lost that these days due to the woeful mismanagement of it. It's really down to it's hardcore 'watch come what may' brigade and even that's dwindled, as long-time fans on this board who know longer watch can testify. Once you haemorrhage viewers it's basically impossible to get them back. The days of Doctor Who being must see TV are over. It's inevitably going to continue to decline. If it wasn't for the BBC licence fee it would get cancelled much more quickly, but as it is it will limp on for some time yet just like many other BBC series these days that have long outlived their enterainment value.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

It seemed to rate higher than Coronation Street, which I thought was rampagingly popular in the UK.

I don’t think ratings in the traditional sense mean anything anymore. Viewing patterns have change. I watched the episode on iView, not when it was actually broadcast.

The simple fact is people sitting down and watching stuff at the time of broadcast is a relic of the past. You watch it when you want, not when a TV stations wants you to.
iank

How much longer can they keep propping up/making excuses for this turd of a program?
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
shuzbot

iank wrote:How much longer can they keep propping up/making excuses for this turd of a program?
As long as it makes money
iank

But is it? Nurse Poo merchandise sales tanked hard, apparently, and it's difficult to see that changing any time soon.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Overnight figure for SPYFALL: Part 2:

4.60m

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who ... -91601.htm

Spyfall: Part 1: 4.88m
Spyfall: Part 2: 4.60m

shuzbot

iank wrote:But is it? Nurse Poo merchandise sales tanked hard, apparently, and it's difficult to see that changing any time soon.
Have they? I must have missed this, where was it reported?

Return to “SERIES 12”

• Information