"A COMPLETE NEW LIFE-CYCLE!": The Next Big Revival After NEW WHO Dies

General Doctor Who discussion hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Would you give Doctor Who's SECOND television rebirth a chance in years to come?

YES I: It would be interesting to see if it could actually, finally be as great as the Classic Show was.... We'll just forget New Who happened though.
25%
YES II: Both Classic and New were worthy shows. I am confident a third television series iteration of Doctor Who in years to come would be too.
No votes
MAYBE/UNSURE: I'd probably look at it out of curiosity and the optimism of a fan... But not holding my breath that it would be great.... Then again...
25%
NO I: There is no way Doctor Who can ever recover from what New Who ultimately did to it's foundations and that wonderful format. They can reboot it all they like as many times as they like. It's embarrassingly dead Jim.
25%
NO II: I don't get all the hate for New Who at all, but I just simply feel that Doctor Who has run it's course now. Let the poor thing rest in peace. It had a good run. Time to call it a day.
25%
THERE IS ANOTHER WAY?: Bring back Blake's 7 (or insert any alternative show that needs a revival) next time. There are other television series that could do with a rebirth/continuation, you know!
No votes

Total votes: 8
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

YOU & DOCTOR WHO:

Is it over or not?

Have you absolutely drawn a final line under your relationship with DOCTOR WHO?

And just how final is that line - really?

Is there always the possibility that you will be tempted back to resume some kind of engagement with future iterations of the Doctor Who legend?

Will you keep watching, reading, or listening to future revivals and continuations of WHO; be it books, comics, audios, television revivals or future big screen movies, a brand new tv series, or merchandise/story ranges appealing to your nostalgia?

Or is it now strictly a nostalgic and (largely) happy memory that you are content to see some form of closure on?

In short - where do you and DOCTOR WHO go from here - not only now, but in the years to come?
:?

iank

I don't see any future with New Who. It's not the same show, it never has been and now it's gone so far off the rails it's almost funny.

Hopefully the animations will continue until all the missing stories are done. I'm certainly still down for them. Beyond that... potential support for any 'new' animations (based on BF plays or original content) would depend on what Doctors they use, and how faithful stories are to those Doctors and eras. Cross-contaminating with New Poo would result in my support for those vanishing quickly too..
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Rubbernecking

It was my life in the late 80's. Mainly because I didn't have many friends. But having since got out more (show was over in 1989, wasn't tempted in the slightest by the books and didn't touch Big Finish) sold my BBC Video collection when New Labour got into power. And met and had relationships with people...
Yeah, I had it spot on in the late 80's. Doctor Who and Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show are the only two things I bother with the BBC over these days.
No, it isn't the same. But, I get some pleasure out of the show than certain other things. People are far too hard on it.
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I'm pretty much done. I may get back into it when Chibnall and the "fam" leave, but I'm not very hopeful.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I will always, always watch Classic stories/episodes as long as they exist on some format.

Not so the New Who episodes.

Other than that, I am pretty much happy for it to be a nostalgic memory, while still having fair few gaps in my Classic Collection to fill.....

I also agree with Ian about the animations. That's all I am looking forward to at the moment. Am not convinced that we will see too many actual returned missing episodes now (while believing that we will see those two Hartnell's back). The eleventh hour and all that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

But I think if the actual show itself were ever to be revived in a way that would get me watching, New Who would have to be treated with the same disrespect that it has shown to Classic Who - with the next regime realising that there was nothing broke in Sidney and Verity's brainchild that needed fixing by that monstrous (2005-?) pretender in the first place.

"Some of New Who happened - just not in the way you think it did".

That kind of vague, dismissive approach, with the show being largely disregarded and large parts of it's canonicity left open to question would help heal some of the wounds it inflicted.

"Everything New Who told us was a lie!".

That kind of thing. And that would make for poetic justice too I think. :)

And - cards on table - for me the Doctor would have to permanently revert to being a man once more - while being happy to see any potential ROMANA spin-off show. (I actually think that Jodie would have made for a poor Romana, let alone the first female Doctor, but that's a whole other side issue.) :)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would also probably go and see a movie, just out of curiosity. :lol:

As to new merchandise based on Classic Who, be it novels, comics and the like, I sure would be tempted to check them out at least, just so long as they respected the source - and no New Who cross contamination as Ian again said.

Heccypoo

It's over for me. I've not been the show's demographic for years now.

It's only a TV show, but I grew up with it. It's like a friend has died.

The BBC has shat all over a happy memory.

f*ck the BBC, f*ck Cinballs.

They can go and eat sh*t..
Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

You didn't have an option for "still hanging on by my fingertips in the hope that it will improve".
"The good thing about having an obsessive personality is that you’ve always got something to think about." -- Lynne Truss

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

LizR wrote:You didn't have an option for "still hanging on by my fingertips in the hope that it will improve".

:lol:

Good point though! So I have tweaked the final choice, adding "hoping it improves". :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

:D Thanks! I have now voted accordingly.

I think that choice probably also covers "Still watching in appalled fascination because there are some things you just can't look away from, like a car crash." :shock:
"The good thing about having an obsessive personality is that you’ve always got something to think about." -- Lynne Truss

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

LizR wrote::D Thanks! I have now voted accordingly.

I think that choice probably also covers "Still watching in appalled fascination because there are some things you just can't look away from, like a car crash." :shock:

:lol:
Guff

I'm pretty much done with Nu Who.

Whilst genuinely excited when the show returned in 2005 and hoovered up a lot of merchandise etc.. I've found that due to the way the show has been written, my enthusiasm has diminished year on year.

Whilst I have a pretty encyclopaedic knowledge of Classic Who, I actually struggle to remember even the names of some stories. Especially in these later years.
That ties in with the rewatchability of old versus new for me.
There are new stories I know I will never watch again, outside of a viewing marathon, whereas even low regarded stories like Timelash for example, do offer something in the way of cheesy entertainment at least.

Nowadays, it's got to the point where I was genuinely hacked off because my mate bought me season 11 for Xmas, knowing I didn't want anything to do with the current abomination that manifests itself as Doctor Who.

Stories no longer excite me as they would way back when the Daleks or Cybermen (who have long been my favourites, but now find the current version simply annoying) returned. That thrill of anticipation has gone.
I now watch to see how bad it's got.

I don't know if I'll ever get it back. My love affair with classic suffered for about a year due to the knock on effect. Thankfully, it's recovered.

I'll always have classic stories to enjoy.
That seems like all I can hope for, until new Who actually realises what made old Who so popular.
DSJR

LizR wrote:You didn't have an option for "still hanging on by my fingertips in the hope that it will improve".
+1 :lol:
Rubbernecking

Guff wrote:I'm pretty much done with Nu Who.

Whilst genuinely excited when the show returned in 2005 and hoovered up a lot of merchandise etc.. I've found that due to the way the show has been written, my enthusiasm has diminished year on year.

Whilst I have a pretty encyclopaedic knowledge of Classic Who, I actually struggle to remember even the names of some stories. Especially in these later years.
That ties in with the rewatchability of old versus new for me.
There are new stories I know I will never watch again, outside of a viewing marathon, whereas even low regarded stories like Timelash for example, do offer something in the way of cheesy entertainment at least.
Oh the current lot don't get me as absorbent compared to classic Who. Not to say I have lost that ability, just doesn't seem that vital to learn every supporting characters name, let alone which actor had the part.
That part of my Doctor Who fandom gone, I just keep watching it when it comes on. Understand and if it's the end please remember more the things you loved about Doctor Who more than your unhappiness at how it ended. That sounds really condescending written down on a forum. Not meant like that. New decade, you'll get more out from other things than you'd think you have!
(Also, had no idea forum back online, I thought I'd been banned!!)
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The last time is was in the wilderness.....

Oh, how we wanted it back... :Cyberman:

A report from the BBC 1 magazine show introduced by Selina Scott on why and whether the BBC were likely to bring back Doctor Who during its 30th anniversary year. Includes interviews with Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison and Colin Baker, along with fans including Ian Levine.
Presented by Andi Peters and shown on 2.4.93

DSJR

Last time they killed it, 'we' were young and hungry for a reboot. Now, it's so superficial and we old 'uns have all but given up on it, the 'break' could be a very long one indeed and maybe only re-imagined (I suspect almost from scratch) by our grandchildrens generation (once they've grown up a bit) with barely a nod to the past...

I suspect if series 13 doesn't do very well, severe questions will be asked about it's future...
iank

It's difficult to see any future where the show has any credibility or is anything that would interest me now.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

You missed out immersive virtual reality video games.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

LizR wrote:You missed out immersive virtual reality video games.

I am optimistically still hoping to see Holodeck realistic adventures in our lifetime, where you not only get to be part of the action, but more importantly, meet and interact with the characters.... :lol:

"Computer, load the 13th Doctor's Tardis console room."

"That programme - and all associated adventures - have been universally deleted."

"Just testing you. Okay, let's have the planet Peladon instead; CURSE OF adventure setting."

"Programme complete. You may enter when ready." :)

As for any future revivals of the show, I agree that I think there needs to be a long, long rest, until someone figures out what the show was - and wasn't - supposed to be.

Sadly of course, the ability to make authentic Doctor who seems to have passed away with the creative names of yesteryear?

darnall42

i think we still have a couple of series of nu who before the series is rested by the BBC bacause of the HBO Max deal. Then i think a streaming service might have a crack after a few years off air ,then do the ususal thing and cancel it after 2 series (I'm still mad at Netflix for bringing back MST3k then canning it again :( )

Return to “GENERAL DOCTOR WHO DISCUSSION”

• Information