The Complete Collection Future Releases

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
Timeloopy

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss The Complete Collection blu-ray releases. Assuming we might one day see all 26 seasons on Blu-ray with animation filling in the gaps for missing episodes.

First question that pops to mind is how do we think they deal with Seasons 4 & Season 21 considering how they are numbering the seasons differently for US releases.

i.e. do they add Twin Dilemma to Colin Baker Season 1 in the US and also remove Smugglers and Tenth Planet from Patrick Troughton Season 1?
Spam Fritter

Also how will they deal with McCoy.

3 sets of 14 episodes or a complete box set?

Be interesting to see how far they get with these releases.

I will be interested to see which are the next two sets.

Gut feeling is a Pertwee - Season 10 or maybe 11

Hopefully we then get first Hartnell, or last Troughton, I can't see any other 60's season being viable yet.

Season 13/14 are clearly going to be popular and I guess good sellers (though the limited edition releases are restricting sales)
elgarlic

Season 10 is seemingly next early-ish next year: https://i.imgur.com/o0jfzqn.jpg

Followed (hopefully not directly) by season 26: http://www.theleys.net/media/news/artic ... ck-in-time
iank

Now that's good news. I hope to God they finally put the original VHS SE of Fenric on the set. There's no excuse not to with a "definitive" Blu ray set.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
ericthehalfabee

elgarlic wrote:Season 10 is seemingly next early-ish next year: https://i.imgur.com/o0jfzqn.jpg

Followed (hopefully not directly) by season 26: http://www.theleys.net/media/news/artic ... ck-in-time
That interview’s a cracking find. McCoy boxset or S26?
elgarlic

ericthehalfabee wrote:
elgarlic wrote:Season 10 is seemingly next early-ish next year: https://i.imgur.com/o0jfzqn.jpg

That interview’s a cracking find. McCoy boxset or S26?
That's a good point, since they didn't specify (probably because it's not of interest 14 months out or to their readers).

Peter Crocker said at one point that he could see them including the TVM on a S26 box set, or that it was how he would do it if it were up to him, or something like that. So they seem to be thinking along the lines of proper seasons. Also, that would be a good way to slip a version of the TVM with proper speed, pitch, and upscaling out without needing to label it The Unbotched Version.
'teleportNOW!'

iank wrote:Now that's good news. I hope to God they finally put the original VHS SE of Fenric on the set. There's no excuse not to with a "definitive" Blu ray set.
It'll still be sh*t, though :)
darnall42

A season 26 set release will be the time we find out what they are doing with the McGann TVM - stick it in with season 26 or include it in a wilderness years odds and sods set .personally i wouldn't want to buy a set of rubbish webcasts and documentrys just to get the McGann movie on blu ray (already got the rubbish slowed down rubbish current blu ray release )
elgarlic

darnall42 wrote:A season 26 set release will be the time we find out what they are doing with the McGann TVM - stick it in with season 26 or include it in a wilderness years odds and sods set .personally i wouldn't want to buy a set of rubbish webcasts and documentrys just to get the McGann movie on blu ray (already got the rubbish slowed down rubbish current blu ray release )
That's my preference as well. There are a lot of people on the forums hoping for all those (very weak, IMO) flash animations on a McGann/'Wilderness Years' set. But I would rather money and shelf space, both of which would be wasted on the webisode inclusions.

I do think that it's a proper place for the 30 years in the TARDIS special, and the 90s-era VAM from the DVDs. But all that in SD, and Night of the Doctor + the TVM extras can be included with the relatively small S26, and not cost too many discs. Rendering out a bunch of flash episodes at 1080p would eat a lot more space.

In the end, if enough people want that material, I suppose it might be the right call. But I still think marketing it would be tough. If labeled for the TV Movie, it just seems like new packaging for a crap product. "Wilderness Years" is a terrible and confusing title. Anything to do with '90s Doctor Who' isn't particularly convincing, either.
iank

I can't say I want that shitty American New Who pilot show TV Movie cluttering up a lovely boxset of one of the real show's greatest seasons. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

elgarlic

Chris Chapman is presumably doing some interviews for the upcoming Season 10 set today
https://twitter.com/ChrisChapman81/with_replies

"Big Who shoot this Thursday - my first one in the studio since I came back for the blu-rays. Time to wheel out the old rear-projector! (not a euphemism)"

"11 interviewees are due for our big Who shoot tomorrow. I strap in and get to ask questions all day. Mad, exhausting, fanTASTIC."

"Had a lovely long coffee today with the fabulous @ManningOfficial - always a pleasure!"
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

iank wrote:I can't say I want that shitty American New Who pilot show TV Movie cluttering up a lovely boxset of one of the real show's greatest seasons. :D
...which just happens to show McCoy at his best. It would indeed show up the previous series.

Seriously though, it always makes me laugh when the TVM is lumped in with the Classic Series. It's as different from the previous three decades as new Who is from everything else.
'teleportNOW!'

It's McCoy's best performance in the role, though. So personally I'd say, if you were gonna do a 3-season McCoy BluRay boxset, it would be sensible to include the TV Movie in it too.
elgarlic

https://i.imgur.com/qqtLKmq.jpg

Well, that's the last of the rumoured seasons more or less confirmed. Thanks to Nuallain for the pic link.
elgarlic

From Catherine Schell on Facebook:

Hello everybody! I've been a busy girl making plans for my immenent trip to the UK. I've been asked to do a voice over in Oxford for the BBC with Lalla Ward on our experience while doing "The City of Death" in the Doctor Who series. The story is still one of the most popular and the beeb are going to release it in a Blue-Ray box set with the two of us speaking over some of the scenes. It should be fun as I don't remember anything. It was a very long time ago. I'll be going, as well, to another Dr. Who "do" in Bristol on Sunday the 18th of Nov. On the following Saturday, the 24th, I'll be doing more signings in Chiswick for Dr. Who fans. I don't know the names of the actual events but I'm sure you can find them on line if you'd like to come and say hello.

I hope you're all well and happy!! Big kiss to you all and bye for now
Via Roobarbs. That's S17's Sofa segment confirmed.
ericthehalfabee

elgarlic wrote:
From Catherine Schell on Facebook:

Hello everybody! I've been a busy girl making plans for my immenent trip to the UK. I've been asked to do a voice over in Oxford for the BBC with Lalla Ward on our experience while doing "The City of Death" in the Doctor Who series. The story is still one of the most popular and the beeb are going to release it in a Blue-Ray box set with the two of us speaking over some of the scenes. It should be fun as I don't remember anything. It was a very long time ago. I'll be going, as well, to another Dr. Who "do" in Bristol on Sunday the 18th of Nov. On the following Saturday, the 24th, I'll be doing more signings in Chiswick for Dr. Who fans. I don't know the names of the actual events but I'm sure you can find them on line if you'd like to come and say hello.

I hope you're all well and happy!! Big kiss to you all and bye for now
Via Roobarbs. That's S17's Sofa segment confirmed.
Boom!
elgarlic

They're probably going to get these things out on the sooner end by the looks of it. S12's success (and probably S19's preorders) must have greenlit a hell of a lot of VAM production. More than 1/4 of the colour seasons have been done or commissioned now.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

They can get 'em out when they like. Ain't falling for it. Will wait until it's small and reasonably priced. By the time it happens we'll all be on some magadrive thingummygig.
iank

Oh, my season 17... Bless Lalla's cotton socks. :)

chap with wings

iank wrote:Oh, my season 17... Bless Lalla's cotton socks. :)
For once IanK I am in complete agreement with you - season 17 is a thing of joy and beauty :)
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY”

• Information