Dr Who - The Macra Terror Animation (Merged Threads)

Discussion on the range of Doctor Who DVD's and speculation about upcoming titles hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.
ericthehalfabee

Urgh!
Rob Ocelot

Doctor In Dysenteric Distress!
Marco's Voice

The new logo is shockingly poor. Why must it be used on classic Who?
Spam Fritter

Marco's Voice wrote:The new logo is shockingly poor. Why must it be used on classic Who?

I agree, and when Chibnall and Whitaker go in 12/18 months will the new 'team' have a new logo?

Better off sticking to a 'classic logo', at least it can't change
DarachAnLaoch

No, I’m sorry. Look at that cover. Look at it! Someone got paid for that??? Someone sat and created that and it got given the go ahead? Just.....I don’t know. Stunned.............LOOK AT IT!
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Hopefully it won’t look better with “Unseen in Over 50 Years” emblazoned all over it and ‘Newly Animated in Colour and Black and White”.

The logo isn’t the worst of it by far, it’s just a logo. It’s not that offensive in the scheme of things, it’s the actual drawing itself which makes it hard to distinguish the Macra, which is what the story is all about after all.

Less Doctor, more Macra.

Maybe they’re keeping the animated version a secret for some reason, I don’t know.

The colour part is the worst aspect though, those bright gaudy colours for a story that has a lot of murkiness about it. It just sticks out like the proverbial.

Brightly coloured romp it is not.
iank

Spam Fritter wrote:
Marco's Voice wrote:The new logo is shockingly poor. Why must it be used on classic Who?

I agree, and when Chibnall and Whitaker go in 12/18 months will the new 'team' have a new logo?

It's the kind of obscene arrogance that's always gone hand in hand with the New Who "showrunners". :roll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

iank wrote:
Spam Fritter wrote:

It's the kind of obscene arrogance that's always gone hand in hand with the New Who "showrunners". :roll:
It’s a logo. Nothing more.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Looking at the cover a bit closer I was always under the impression the Macra were crablike, but that cover makes it look like some giant creepy crawly beetle is looming up behind him.

So it’s not even representative of the actual story.

I wonder which plonker commissioned this?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Spam Fritter wrote:

Surely the classic logo changed with each incarnation of the Doctor?

The new lot have actually had less logos than Doctors, methinks?

Marco's Voice

Well Jodie Whitaker won't be happy with this cover.

The "white male gaze" that "Doctor Who always celebrated" is clearly present.

Jodie has publicly stated "It’s a mistake to think that the only heroes are white men".

This cover celebrates the "white male gaze" and the hero on the cover is a white man. Jodie will not be pleased.
Spam Fritter

Servorobot wrote:
iank wrote:
Spam Fritter wrote:

It’s a logo. Nothing more.
It is a logo, but more than that, it now adorns the covers of new 'classic' releases. No problem as such, but if a new show runner and logo comes along, items like the new blu Ray sets start to get the next logo then we lose uniform. It was never felt that the classic DVD range needed to have the new series logo on them, and so we kept to a pattern from beginning to end.

I am just a grumpy old fan who likes everything in order............

I don't dislike the new logo, I don't really have a view on it really .
Spam Fritter

LizR wrote:
Spam Fritter wrote:

I mean select a classic logo, such as used on DVD range, and stick to it for duration of release. I feel that we will have a new logo soon, and following the current trend to use new logos on everything.

I am really just pointing at the new blu Ray releases, which could end up over a period of time having various logos.

I know it's a little petty but I do like a bit of uniformity in my life.........sadly
Spam Fritter

Marco's Voice wrote:Well Jodie Whitaker won't be happy with this cover.

The "white male gaze" that "Doctor Who always celebrated" is clearly present.

Jodie has publicly stated "It’s a mistake to think that the only heroes are white men".

This cover celebrates the "white male gaze" and the hero on the cover is a white man. Jodie will not be pleased.

It's also a mistake to think there are no white men who are heroes........there are plenty who are also villains.
Akroma

LizR wrote:
Spam Fritter wrote:

I always felt each Doctor's disc release should have that era's title logo on the cover. Putting the new Who logo on a 60's show may confuse some newer fans what era they are buying into.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Akroma wrote:I always felt each Doctor's disc release should have that era's title logo on the cover. Putting the new Who logo on a 60's show may confuse some newer fans what era they are buying into.
I agree. Not just because it could confuse, but also for artistic reasons - they wouldn't animate "Macra" with Jodie's Doctor replacing Pat (I hope) so why replace the logo?
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

LizR wrote:
Akroma wrote:I always felt each Doctor's disc release should have that era's title logo on the cover. Putting the new Who logo on a 60's show may confuse some newer fans what era they are buying into.
I agree. Not just because it could confuse, but also for artistic reasons - they wouldn't animate "Macra" with Jodie's Doctor replacing Pat (I hope) so why replace the logo?
Because it’s all to do with branding. And if some Jodie wannabe accidentally buys it then I don’t think the BBC will complain.

Rather than that era’s logo (which let’s face it nobody wants go backwards logo wise) perhaps they should have a seperate classic and new series logo, not to distinguish between them, but to acknowledge they are two different entities all together.
nosfer2

I've been saying this for years, but sadly the powers that be won't listen!
'teleportNOW!'

Servorobot wrote: Rather than that era’s logo (which let’s face it nobody wants go backwards logo wise) perhaps they should have a seperate classic and new series logo, not to distinguish between them, but to acknowledge they are two different entities all together.
But they aren't - that's just a marketing contrivance in itself!
iank

The marketing contrivance was pretending that the modern show ever had any relation to the original to start with.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010

Return to “DOCTOR WHO ON DVD AND BLU-RAY”

• Information