Doctor Who Magazine

Discussion of Doctor Who books, from annuals to Target, Virgin and BBC Books to Fanzines and the official Doctor Who Magazine
Samwell

Cygnus Prime wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:48 pm
I notice that it's another in a run of Jodie-less covers (or at least diminishing her presence).

One would think that her presence on the cover was hurting sales or something? :lol:

And welcome to the forum Sam. :)
Thanks CP!

I'm a classic Who fan - Pertwee was my doctor back in the 70's , NuWho has had it's moments but not for years so I can't really stomach it much.

What I really can't stand about nuWho is the producers insistence on portraying 'strong empowered females' as little more than smarmy, sarcastic know-it-alls.......such a cop-out. See Rose, Clara, Amy.......mostly sarcastic wenches. They never used to be like that.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

While there are a fair amount of folks and regulars on here that like New Who, in terms of disgruntlement with the way the New Series has gone - you will find yourself in good company here Samwell.

(Personally I wish that it had never been a direct continuation, but had instead been it's own rebooted thing, so it could be ignored more easily. Instead it feeds off the Classic Show like a vampire, while mocking the very show it sprang from imo.)

Check out the New Who board for a range of topics dealing with various areas of dissatisfaction

viewforum.php?f=8

And even the Whittaker board is worth a look when it comes to venting..... :lol:

viewforum.php?f=98

Welcome once again. :)
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Samwell wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:43 am
Good day all, first post. Just wanted to login to say what an abomination that Cyberman with time lord frock on is. Who is the hell thought that was a cool idea? It's total cringe not to mention an abomination, not to mention the stupidest idea in Doctor Who history.

Glad I haven't watched since Jodie's first episode. Going to keep it that way. Been watching classic who on pluto tv and airy.

Regards,

Sam
I know, it's a complete joke, isn't it?

I haven't watched an episode of her series either.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum.

You won't get any argument from me on that one. I have watched Jodie-Who and your description fits a lot if it.
steve.othen

I'm probably not the first to mention this, but I've noticed that DWM only seems to have a Jodie cover when the programme is actually on air, once the series has finished they usually go with a classic DW cover , I'm assuming that this is because Jodie covers don't sell very well?. I flipped through the latest issue and I think I only counted ONE Jodie photo in the entire mag, I think this is pretty indicative of how unpopular the current version of the show is.
pmname

Well, on 'Pointless' yesterday they had 5 pictures of doctors in other roles and Jodie only got (about- can't exactly remember) 16/100. The second lowest after McCoy in Hobbit make-up who I had trouble recognizing. Scoring more were Troughton, Davison and Pertwee(highest).
"Inexplicably" said one host.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I believe they have booted her interpretation of the character from the regular comic strip too?

Absolutely unheard of, of course, while an actor is still currently in the role.

Yes, I honestly think that they are cutting their losses and already beginning to disassociate themselves from Jodie and the Chibnall era - as best they can without making an outright declaration of that intent. :death:

See also.....

Is Doctor Who Magazine Even Aware That the Whittaker/Chibnall Era is Rubbish?:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8272
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

It seems pretty clear that she is The Doctor in name only.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Cygnus Prime wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 am
I believe they have booted her interpretation of the character from the regular comic strip too?
Only for a few months so they can connect to Time Lord Victorious, they'll resume her run in the comic around December, when the special is due to air.
pmname

I've gone back and checked Pointless and I got it wrong.
They gave 100 people 100 seconds to identify Drs in other roles.They may have been oldies but even so...
Troughton 23 Omen
Pertwee 60 Worzel
Davison 44 All Creatures
Sylvester 18 LOTR?
Jodie 16 ?
"Seems very low".
iank

:lol: That's cause no one watches her! :lol:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

pmname wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:07 pm
Jodie 16 ?
It was Attack the Block.

Return to “DOCTOR WHO IN PRINT”

• Information