Doctor Who Magazine

Discussion of Doctor Who books, from annuals to Target, Virgin and BBC Books to Fanzines and the official Doctor Who Magazine
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Seems there's a bit about DWM in the latest issue of Private Eye.

https://twitter.com/AndyLawrence5/statu ... 5765218305
iank

Well there's no denying Pegg's sentiments now then, is there! :lol:
I mean, I can kind of see their point in writers using DWM to whine about Blake's7 rewatch and One of the unmentionables (though they don't seem to have a problem with it in the actual program, which is more than a tad hypocritical!) but it seems any and all criticism of modern Who's (for want of a better word) excretions will soon be completely expunged from the mag if they have their way!
:roll: at them wanting to install a young, "preferably female" (hang on, isn't that pure unadulterated sexism? Oh, sorry, I forgot, sexism's awesome so long as it benefits women) editor. No doubt they'd prefer one who wouldn't have seen an episode of classic Who too.... Dear me. :roll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
allyngibson

I've never understood why the BBC didn't take more of an interest, based on things like Tom Spilsbury's insistence that DWM was independent and the reviews of unlicensed material (like, for instance, Seasons of War) in the magazine. I've worked with other properties, and the material gets approved by the IP holder every step of the way, from the outline to the galleys. If Spilsbury and his crew had "gone rogue" -- ie., not toeing the official BBC line and not presenting the series in the best possible light -- they were doing the BBC and Panini a real disservice, imho.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

A slightly more readable version, FWIW (courtesy of iank on another forum).

http://imgur.com/a/DmAde
Kajaboy

By pure coincidence, I am currently trying to fill the gaps in my DWM collection via Ebay and among the new acquisitions is issue 77 from June 1983. I wonder........
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
-JMW-

Good find!
I take it the petition was never sent in :lol:

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

-JMW- wrote:Good find!
I take it the petition was never sent in :lol:
Seems not. They didn't have gov.uk back then. :D
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
iank

Kajaboy wrote:By pure coincidence, I am currently trying to fill the gaps in my DWM collection via Ebay and among the new acquisitions is issue 77 from June 1983. I wonder........
Brilliant! :floorroll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I see they've got another one of those Essential Doctor Who magazine things out.

Some blurb I managed to find on it.
Panini’s lavish bookazines continue with a 116-page issue devoted to the Doctor’s journeys through time, and the greatest plots hatched by his time-travelling adversaries.

Doctor Who was conceived as a format that would go backwards, forwards and sideways in time. Ever since those early black-and-whites days, the series has stayed true to that concept with innovative stories exploring every aspect of the fourth dimension. The Essential Doctor Who: Time Travel talks to the actors, writers and directors who helped to create these memorable episodes.

Elsewhere in this issue there are guides to the greatest time-travel stories – including the classics Blink and City of Death – along with details of unmade scripts, previously unseen images and much more.
-JMW-

The Ginger Cat wrote:I see they've got another one of those Essential Doctor Who magazine things out.
Panini’s lavish bookazines continue with a 116-page issue devoted to the Doctor’s journeys through time, and the greatest plots hatched by his time-travelling adversaries.
Maybe they should adapt the regular DWM to more fit this format and make it bi-monthly.
They could have specific issues dedicated to a new series when it's on air.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

I've been thinking of ending my subscription to DWM for a few months now anyway! I've had enough of the modern version of the show run by Moffat and especially with all the rest of the stuff we're being force fed! Mr.Pegg is of the same thinking as a lot of us only the BBC don't give a damn about what we say or do but with him he gets the chop! A bit of mind control and the idea of a female Doctor is good for the show whatever we think is not the way to run the magazine or the TV series, especially if you want it to carry on I think! Here's to Mr.Pegg! ;)
JB
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Blimey, time is really flying by, the cover for Doctor Who Magazine #519 has been stuck out already. I'll post up more details on the mag if and when I find them.

EDIT:

DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE #519
DAVID BRADLEY IS THE DOCTOR!

ISSUE 519 OF DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE HAS AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH THE NEW FIRST DOCTOR, DAVID BRADLEY

Four years ago he played William Hartnell in BBC Two’s An Adventure in Space and Time. Now David Bradley is returning as the First Doctor himself for this year’s Christmas Special Twice Upon a Time…

“I was playing the guy who was playing the Doctor, but now I’m the Doctor… It’s absolutely thrilling.”

ALSO IN THIS ISSUE…

FRIGHT KNIGHT
Sir Derek Jacobi talks to DWM about bringing back his version of the Master for Big Finish’s new
series of audio adventures.

DEDICATED FOLLOWERS
DWM meets Jared Garfield and Lily Travers, the actors playing Ben and Polly in Twice Upon a Time.

BEN ZEN
In a previously unpublished interview from 1997, Michael Craze reflects on the time he spent playing
Ben Jackson in Doctor Who from 1966 to 1967.

DOC MARTIN
In what turned out to be his final interview, Trevor Martin discusses playing the Doctor in the stage
play Seven Keys to Doomsday. Elsewhere in this issue DWM pays tribute to his long career.

DRESSING THE DOCTOR
Costume designer Hayley Nebauer explains how she created the First Doctor’s 2017 look.

ANNUAL REPORT
BBC Audio is reviving stories from the Doctor Who annuals. Readers Peter Purves and Matthew
Waterhouse are in the studio…

54 FIRST DATES
What’s so special about the 23rd of November? And what else has happened on Doctor Who’s big
day? DWM investigates…

THE PHANTOM PIPER
A brand-new comic strip adventure for the Doctor and Bill in part one of The Phantom Piper, written
by Scott Gray and illustrated by Martin Geraghty.

THE TIME TEAM
The Time Team continues its mission to watch every episode of Doctor Who with 2011’s The Almost
People.

THE FACT OF FICTION
Uncovering the details hidden in the 2007 episode The Lazarus Experiment.

THE BLOGS OF DOOM
DWM’s brand-new column begins…

PLUS!
Previews, book and audio reviews, news, prize-winning competitions and much more.

Doctor Who Magazine 519 is on sale from Thursday 16 November, price £5.99.
Zarius

FYI, the article replacing "Wotcha" is "Blogs of Doom", a page devoted to various "log entries" from bit characters from Doctor Who canon
Kajaboy

Zarius wrote:FYI, the article replacing "Wotcha" is "Blogs of Doom", a page devoted to various "log entries" from bit characters from Doctor Who canon
Really not impressed with this at all. :cry:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Outer poly bag cover for Doctor Who Magazine #520 then. This month you'll get a big poster of Jodie Whittaker to stick up on your wall and blow kisses to or throw darts at...

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Doctor Who Magazine #520 - The cover proper then...

EDIT: The blurb.

Doctor Who Magazine 520
THE LATEST ISSUE OF DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE INCLUDES A FREE THIRTEENTH DOCTOR POSTER/TWELFTH DOCTOR WALLCHART AND A REVEALING PREVIEW OF THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!

Also in this issue…

PEARL MACKIE
Pearl talks to DWM about saying goodbye to companion Bill Potts.

MARK GATISS
An interview with Mark Gatiss, who plays the Captain in the 2017 Christmas Special.

STEVEN MOFFAT
Doctor Who’s outgoing showrunner previews his final story, Twice Upon a Time.

EARL CAMERON
Actor Earl Cameron – 100 years old this year! – recalls playing astronaut Glyn Williams in the 1966 story The Tenth Planet.

PHILIP HINCHCLIFFE
The legendary Doctor Who producer explains how the series’ feature-length omnibus repeats were created in the 1970s.

PADDY RUSSELL
A tribute to the late Paddy Russell, Doctor Who’s first female director and one of British television’s pioneers.

INSIDE SHADA
The team behind the new version of Shada reveal how Douglas Adams’ ‘lost’ 1979 story was finally completed.

DANIEL HILL AND OLIVIA BAZALGETTE
Actor Daniel Hill and production assistant Olivia Bazalgette tell DWM how the filming of Shada marked the beginning of their long relationship.

SHADA ON LOCATION
Memories of the making of Shada from special effects assistant Steve Cambden, along with rare and
previously unseen images from the 1979 location shoot.

THE FACT OF FICTION
This issue’s festive Fact of Fiction explores the 2011 Christmas Special The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe.

THE PHANTOM PIPER
Part Two of the Doctor and Bill’s latest comic strip adventure, written by Scott Gray and illustrated by Martin Geraghty.

PLUS…
The Blogs of Doom, previews, book and audio reviews, news, the DWM Christmas Quiz and prize-winning competitions!

Doctor Who Magazine 520 is on sale from Thursday 14 December, price £5.99.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I see the DWM twitter account has tweeted up a few pages about the Christmas Special from the latest issue.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

The 2018 Yearbook thing apparently. Don't know much about it except from what's on the cover and that it's due out this Thursday.

EDIT: Added the blurb.

Doctor Who Magazine SPECIAL 48 – THE 2018 YEARBOOK
At the end of 2017 a remarkable chapter in the history of Doctor Who draw to a close. Two incarnations of the Time Lord overcame an existential threat… before the arrival of the Thirteenth Doctor heralded a bold new era for the programme.

The latest Special Edition of Doctor Who Magazine is a unique celebration of the Twelfth Doctor’s final adventures, from The Return of Doctor Mysterio through to Twice Upon a Time. Packed full of all-new features and previously unseen images, this is the essential guide to the year in Doctor Who.

Highlights include exclusive new interviews with:

Joe Browning, Jimmy Mann, Gary Pollard and Kate Walshe (Millennium FX)
Ysanne Churchman (the voice of Alpha Centauri in Empress of Mars)
Matthew Clark (graphic designer, 2017 series)
Rachel Denning (Erica in The Pyramid at the End of the World)
Mark Gatiss (Captain Lethbridge-Stewart in Twice Upon a Time)
Stephanie Hyam (Heather in The Pilot and The Doctor Falls)
Adele Lynch (Iraxxa in Empress of Mars)
Rove McManus (host of Australian show Whovians)
Rachel Talalay (director of three episodes in the 2017 series)
Alexandra Tynan (designer of the original Cybermen)

Editor Marcus Hearn says: “The latest Yearbook is out a little later than usual, because we wanted to complete our coverage of the Twelfth Doctor’s stories by including Twice Upon a Time. This issue covers more episodes than any previous Yearbooks, but there are many other fantastic articles in there too. We hope this is a great souvenir of an incredible era.”

The Doctor Who Magazine Yearbook 2018 is on sale now at WH Smith and all good newsagents, price £5.99.
shuzbot

shuzbot

Return to “DOCTOR WHO IN PRINT”

• Information