Character Options issues a profits warning

Discussion on all ranges of Doctor Who merchandise.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

In April, it was revealed that Character's pre-tax profits for the six months to the end of February 2012 fell by 16 per cent from £6.64m to £5.57m year-on-year, with executive chairman Richard King saying:
There is no disguising the fact that the retail trade is, with few exceptions, finding it difficult to work its way through the current trading climate.
Just a suggestion but it might encourage more people to buy items from their Doctor Who range if they stopped bringing out the same figures over and over again and dropped their prices a little; some of their classic sets and figures are very expensive.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

They are making the classic mistake of selling more and more expensive things to less and less buyers.
Kajaboy

Mike Nuttall wrote:In April, it was revealed that Character's pre-tax profits for the six months to the end of February 2012 fell by 16 per cent from £6.64m to £5.57m year-on-year, with executive chairman Richard King saying:
That's because you only bought 300,000 of their figures last year Mike instead of the usual 500,000. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
The Nimon

To tell the truth they just make too many. I gave up on the new series stuff and was thinking on just sticking to the classic stuff, then that went exclusive to Forbidden Planet and for stupid prices so i just gave up on the action figures. I kept the ones i liked and just flogged the rest on ebay
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Robert Watkins wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:In April, it was revealed that Character's pre-tax profits for the six months to the end of February 2012 fell by 16 per cent from £6.64m to £5.57m year-on-year, with executive chairman Richard King saying:
That's because you only bought 300,000 of their figures last year Mike instead of the usual 500,000. :lol:
That^^ is one of the funniest things you posted all year.

At least Shaun wont be tripping over Cyberman.

My post from GB last week.
Just to add fuel to the fire.

£2.8m in director salaries last year at Character Options, £2,6m the year before. Well over £500k per executive director.

The company makes pretax profit of £6.4 in 2011.

They pay themselves well then?
It got to the stage last year when I had to decide whether to have a loft conversion done to store all my Who merchandise or move to a bigger house. I had the loft converted because it seemed easier than moving! What really irritated me was the fact that with the money I spent on the loft conversion I could have bought a full-size Master Plan Dalek, which is what I really wanted!
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Mike,do you want a full sized Tardis for the back garden? I do!
Kamelion

Me too!!!! That is my ultimate dream purchase..... I WILL have one eventually....
"..and who knows when it will end..."
chap with wings

The series isn't as popular with the kids as it was a few years ago, less shelf space in Toys R Us etc, so less figures sold.
Shame really as they make a good product.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

ianj wrote:Mike,do you want a full sized Tardis for the back garden? I do!
I would love one! I thought you were going to have a bash at making your own?

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

chap with wings wrote:The series isn't as popular with the kids as it was a few years ago, less shelf space in Toys R Us etc, so less figures sold.
Shame really as they make a good product.
As a collector I've noticed that too. There used to be a whole section for the Doctor Who stuff in Toys R Us, under big promotional boards, in a prime location, now it's two or three shelves at the back of the store. My local Sainsbury's had a small Doctor Who section, maybe three or four shelves of toys, now - nothing. And irritatingly they've also stopped stocking every new dvd release; they haven't carried a b&w release for months. Being a fully-fledged paid-up troublemaker I've written to Sainsbury's to complain about it, much good it will do!

However I don't think any of this is evidence of a dip in the programme's popularity, I think it's purely down to a lack of Doctor Who on our screens for the last NINE months.

Kajaboy

Mike Nuttall wrote: And irritatingly they've also stopped stocking every new dvd release; they haven't carried a b&w release for months. Being a fully-fledged paid-up troublemaker I've written to Sainsbury's to complain about it, much good it will do!
They haven't stocked anything from the old series in our Sainsbury's in years. It used to be the only place in town you could buy them after Woolworths closed. They had a re-fit right before Tesco's opened and just stopped stocking them. Tesco's don't stock them either.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
WHOis007?

As it's now almost four months later.... and there have been new episodes... have things improved on the retail shelves as we near Christmas?
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
ReganMacNeilfan

I agree with the same items and everything else. :)
Demon: And I'm the Devil. Now kindly undo these straps.
Norman Bates: 'Cause I don't wanna get messed up with the police. I can't explain it to you. Maybe you're right, maybe this is real... but finding out what happened to this girl isn't gonna make a difference to anyone. She's still gonna be dead, and you're still gonna be sick... and I'm still gonna be who I am.
shuzbot

They are still going. No idea what their range was like but it seems very small: https://www.character-online.com/doctor ... agesize=45

Return to “DOCTOR WHO COLLECTIBLES”

• Information