Doctor Who Video Games (Merged)

Discussion on all ranges of Doctor Who merchandise.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Doctor Wii

DOCTOR Who is to regenerate into Doctor Wii after BBC bosses signed a mega-bucks computer game deal.

Nintendo has agreed a contract said to be worth over £10million to create the much-anticipated game for its popular Wii and DS consoles.

And the firm is planning to get it into shops in time for the lucrative Christmas market.

The game is at the early stages but is set to be based around the new Doctor, played by Matt Smith.

It will also feature key Doctor Who baddies including the Daleks, the Cybermen and the Silurians.

An insider said: "This has been in the pipeline for years.

"We're delighted to have finally nailed down a deal. We went with Nintendo as they have huge appeal for families and Doctor Who is very much a family brand.

"The Wii console is key for us as it's something families play together."

The game will be closely monitored by the BBC, which does not want anything too violent.

Former Doctor David Tennant said the game had struggled to get off the ground as some developers had wanted the Time Lord to beat up his enemies and blow things up.

Who chiefs prefer the Doc to defeat baddies using his cunning rather than his fists.

David said: "The video game was quite actively developed, but it's difficult to nail as the Doctor doesn't blow things up.

He's not Batman, who goes around smacking people in the head."

Firms had been coming up with ideas for the last three years in a bid to tap into the show's success.

The insider added: "BBC Worldwide, which licenses BBC shows, has been trying to find some way of doing it.

"But you can't have Doctor Who blowing things to bits with a laser gun. That would massively change the nature of the show."

The BBC has made a fortune out of Doctor Who spin-offs - raking in around £100million.

From thesun.co.uk, Friday 12th March 2010.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... e-Wii.html
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
mican

I hope this is eventually released in the US. My boys would love it.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Hope this is available for my son's birthday or Xmas!
HornOrSilk

I hope this will be released before Nintendo is bust.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

HornOrSilk wrote:I hope this will be released before Nintendo is bust.
LOL!!!!!!!! :lol:
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Doctor Who's regeneration game

Matt Smith to star in Doctor Who video games after BBC deal with Nintendo

The BBC has finally signed a contract with Nintendo Wii to produce Doctor Who video games, reports the Sun. The first game will feature Matt Smith battling enemies including Cybermen, Daleks and Silurians. The idea has been in development for years but never got off the ground, partly because of fears it would be too violent for a family audience. A BBC insider said: "You can't have the Doctor blowing things to bits with a laser gun, that would massively change the nature of the show."

From guardian.co.uk, Friday 12th March 2010.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamo ... matt-smith

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Doctor Who star Matt Smith is being turned into Nintendo Wii game

Doctor Who star Matt Smith is being turned into a video-game hero after bosses at the BBC signed a deal to turn the show into a Nintendo Wii game.

The 27-year-old will be seen as the infamous timelord for the first time at Easter when the show returns.

The BBC has now signed a new deal with Nintendo to turn the show into a game series for the Wii and DS consoles.

The game will reportedly be featured around Smith and will head into stores just in time for Christmas.

A source said: 'This has been in the pipeline for years. We're delighted to have finally nailed down a deal.

'We went with Nintendo as they have huge appeal for families and Doctor Who is very much a family brand. The Wii console is key for us as it's something families play together.'

From monstersandcritics.com, Friday 12th March 2010.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/peopl ... o-Wii-game

CADILLAC

This can only be brilliant news for the profile of the show.......

If Nintendo come up with a really world class game it will go a long way to securing the show's long term future.....

In a secondary way Matt should get a big Royalty from the game which I consider will be important in the long term if he makes a real success of the part bearing in mind he is only getting a fraction of DT's wage for the duration of his 3 year contract....
Fatso the wombat

Yeah... the Wii Top Trumps game was a classic example of how not to do a video game. I couldn't even bring myself to buy it when it was £6 at HMV.
bige

I've been hunting for "Dalek Attack" and "Destiny of the Doctors" in still-in-the-box condition. I found "Destiny" on several sites but no box! As for "Dalek Attack", there's nothing at all! Why are these games so rare??? And could someone tell me where to buy them (still-in-the-box)?

And how rare would the three 80's games be?

I'm a collector, see. Plus I love video games and Doctor Who so it's a perfect combination :) .
bige

Wow! I just disocvered plently more video games! Anyone else ever heard of 'Doctor Who Role-Playing Game'? Suprisingly, none of them are as rare as the official ones!
Makkabee

bige wrote:Wow! I just disocvered plently more video games! Anyone else ever heard of 'Doctor Who Role-Playing Game'? Suprisingly, none of them are as rare as the official ones!
Heard of it, have it. FASA (the guys who did Shadowrun, Earthdawn, and Battletech/Mech Warrior) put it out. I've never had a chance to play it, though -- RPGs usually should have 4-6 people to run at peak efficiency, though you can get by with 3 or even two at a pinch.

There was also a Doctor Who text adventure game done in the style of Zork back in the 80s, but I haven't seen a copy since I played it on my brother's TRS-80.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
Kajaboy

I used to have a game on the Acorn Electron that was full of copyright infringing characters from various sci-fi films and TV shows. You played the doctor and used the TARDIS to move from room to room solving various problems but if you eneded up in a room with Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy you had to get out very quickly beofre he bored you to death. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Advert for the Destiny of the Doctors video game thingy that apparently cropped up on Channel 4. Skip to 1:55".

shuzbot

There is a page on it here, Terrance Dicks wrote it: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_of ... ideo_game)

Good old Windows '95 :P
shuzbot

shuzbot

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

More on that Doctor Who Infinity Game doings then. I'm liking some of the artwork on it.

Digital Spy: Exclusive: Doctor Who Infinity's second game will pit Third Doctor against the Zarbi
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I see that Doctor Who Infinity video game thingy is out today.

Doctor Who: Infinity | Game Trailer

Some details and stuff on it here.

Return to “DOCTOR WHO COLLECTIBLES”

• Information