AudioGo/BBC Audio Doctor Who Classic Novels

From Big Finish and Slipback to Paradise Of Death and Pescatons. The Doctor Who Audio Forum.
rapscallion

rapscallion wrote:An idea that's just occured to me.....The delayed releases of the forthcoming Target audiobooks....could they be just relating to the physical units?

Resurrection and Revelation Of The Daleks were released as downloads before they were physically released on CD, and so were The Christmas Invasion, Rose etc a few years back.

Maybe there's a chance that the delayed stories like The Keeper Of Traken might keep their original release dates for downloads only, (as these items are surely as good as ready to go) then get the physical release later down the line.

Anyway, its just a thought.
So it appears I was wrong with this suggestion.

Today would've been the release day for The Keeper Of Traken, but there's no listing for downloads on iTunes or Audible, so I guess October it is for both formats.
rapscallion

spectrox wrote: Got The Krotons and I have to say it was not very good. Frazer Hines' narration was fine but the prose and unusually the sound design were lousy. Whether The Krotons looks any good is perhaps open to debate (I think it is very well-directed and looks a hell of a lot better than The Dominators) but nobody can deny that it sounds brilliant. I listened to the audio soundtrack afterwards and the presentation is streets ahead. A rare flop.
I've only just got around to listening to The Krotons audiobook and i've really enjoyed it. I think I'd lowered my expectations after reading what you'd written a while back, so I was surprised I found myself getting into it.

I found it so much easier to get into than The Ice Warriors which I found a real chore when it was released. Not because of Fraser Hines' narration, I've just always found that book really plodsome.

I'm surprised Fraser Hines has only read two audiobooks from his era so far, given he narrated a large portion of the soundtrack range. Hopefully he'll narrate Evil Of The Daleks when that one eventually gets the go-ahead.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Time-Flight's listed on Amazon for a 1st of April 2021 release....
rapscallion

The Ginger Cat wrote:Time-Flight's listed on Amazon for a 1st of April 2021 release....
Good luck to whoever's volunteered to voice Kalid's lines :lol:
rapscallion

Blackwell's Books website has The Keys Of Marinus audio book listed for March 2021 release.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

rapscallion wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:33 pm
The Ginger Cat wrote:Time-Flight's listed on Amazon for a 1st of April 2021 release....
Good luck to whoever's volunteered to voice Kalid's lines :lol:
:lol:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

It'll probably be that John Coleslaw.
rapscallion

The Ginger Cat wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:50 pm
It'll probably be that John Coleslaw.
He does seem to be hoovering up a lot of the audios. I like his voice actually, but I understand people wanting narrators specific to particular eras of the show.

It wouldn't surprise me if Matthew Waterhouse does the reading for Time Flight. He's got three from his era under his belt already, and he was technically in Time Flight.

I'm guessing that Carole Ann Ford may do The Keys Of Marinus. William Russell's gone very quiet on these since An Unearthly Child got shelved, and that's totally fair enough given he's (hopefully) just putting his feet up and enjoying life.

I also think that the shelved An Unearthly Child from 2013 may end up getting released as the last one in the series and tied-in to the 2023 anniversary (10 years after it was originally planned).

Off the top of my head there are 31 titles left to be announced from the origjnal range (more than 31 if you include Mission To Magnus, The Nightmare Fair, The Ultimate Evil, Slipback and The Pescatons, all of which I can see them doing) so that probably would see them finishing the range in the anniversary year. But what do I know, lol.
spectrox

"Enlightenment" was really good. Decent book, good narration by Steven Pacey.

Roll on "The Hand of Fear" and "The Savages"! Still wish they had got Bidmead to write a new version of "Traken". I love Bidmead. His books are great, as is his narration.

Why can't we have more Bidmead???
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Couple of new 'uns...

6 May 2021 - Doctor Who and the Underworld

3 June 2021 - Arc of Infinity
rapscallion

The Ginger Cat wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:03 pm
Couple of new 'uns...

6 May 2021 - Doctor Who and the Underworld

3 June 2021 - Arc of Infinity
I see Geoffrey Beevers is doing Arc Of Infinity, cool!

Frankly, I was hoping for ANY 4th Doctor title before Underworld. But I guess it had to come sooner or later. Hopefully the audio will prove better than the TV version.
spectrox

Got "Keeper". Is actually really good and a far better book than I remember. Beevers as ever is sublime.

If I remember rightly Underworkd was actually a pretty good book too. Prologue about the Minyans and the Time Lords I think.
rapscallion

spectrox wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:25 am
Got "Keeper". Is actually really good and a far better book than I remember. Beevers as ever is sublime.

If I remember rightly Underworkd was actually a pretty good book too. Prologue about the Minyans and the Time Lords I think.
I've enjoyed The Keeper Of Traken too. Helps that it's a favourite story of mine and Geoffrey Beevers is one of my favourite readers. That and Enlightenment have both been great over the last couple of months.
rapscallion

So according to the Penguin books website, the reader of Time Flight is gonna be Peter Davison. Was not expecting that, lol.
rapscallion

....And Amazon have updated their info on Underworld. Narrator is Louise Jameson with John Leeson.
rapscallion

Penguin Books have released more info on the narrators of the New Series Doctor Who audio range that were moved to March 2021.

The TV Movie - Dan Starkey
Dalek - Nicholas Briggs
The Crimson Horror - Dan Starkey & Catrin Stewart
The Witchfinders - Sophie Alfred

(Ginger Cat and Mods - I couldn't find the New Series Audio books thread that was set up ages ago. Probably being blind.)
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

rapscallion wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:07 am
Penguin Books have released more info on the narrators of the New Series Doctor Who audio range that were moved to March 2021.

The TV Movie - Dan Starkey
Dalek - Nicholas Briggs
The Crimson Horror - Dan Starkey & Catrin Stewart
The Witchfinders - Sophie Alfred

(Ginger Cat and Mods - I couldn't find the New Series Audio books thread that was set up ages ago. Probably being blind.)
That makes two of us then, couldn't find it either lol. Took the liberty of copying your post and starting up a new thread here.
spectrox

rapscallion wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:39 pm
spectrox wrote:

I've enjoyed The Keeper Of Traken too. Helps that it's a favourite story of mine and Geoffrey Beevers is one of my favourite readers. That and Enlightenment have both been great over the last couple of months.
I enjoyed Enlightenment very much too. Am looking forward to Time-Flight. I like Peter Grimwade's writing style and I love a bit of Peter Davison. Planet of Fire was pretty good too if I remember rightly.

Wonder if there are plans for new versions of Kinda and Snakedance? By Bailey or Bidmead maybe? That would be delightful.

Very much looking forward to Hand of Fear and The Savages, which is a particular favourite of mine.
rapscallion

spectrox wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:44 am
rapscallion wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:39 pm
spectrox wrote:

I enjoyed Enlightenment very much too. Am looking forward to Time-Flight. I like Peter Grimwade's writing style and I love a bit of Peter Davison. Planet of Fire was pretty good too if I remember rightly.

Wonder if there are plans for new versions of Kinda and Snakedance? By Bailey or Bidmead maybe? That would be delightful.

Very much looking forward to Hand of Fear and The Savages, which is a particular favourite of mine.
Honestly was not expecting Peter Davison for Time Flight, although I'm really pleased he's doing it. Given that he's got Time Flight and Geoffrey Beevers has got Arc Of Infinity I actually thought they would've done it the other way round (Time Flight for Beevers being a story with the Master, and Arc Of Infinity for Davison given his dual role in that one.)

I truly hope that the only reason Kinda and Snakedance haven't arrived yet is because Bailey may be doing his own adaptations, in the same way as David Fisher did with The Stones Of Blood and The Androids Of Tara.

Return to “DOCTOR WHO AUDIOS”

• Information