What's The Last TV Show You Watched?

Discussion of other programmes including vintage and rare TV and films
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Happygolucky wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:12 pm
Nice one LizR, check out Pertwee, my god it's just Jon all over again.
Yes it is! Shame it doesn't look like he'll be in the rest of it (although I could be wrong).

I can't remember the exact dialogue, but something like:

You stabbed me in the back! That's rude!

Yes, sorry about that, I was trying to kill you.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Been watching The Cleopatras, that old TV series which had its fair share of knockers at the time.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The Ginger Cat wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:14 am
Been watching The Cleopatras, that old TV series which had its fair share of knockers at the time.
I'm sure you mean detractors... :)
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

PINE GAP

Drama about the people who work at the eponymous Five Eyes listening station, supposedly just outside Alice Springs. Full of (relatively) ordinary seeming spooks, makes "Spooks" looks like James Bond by comparison. Still, the ordinariness makes it all seems quite believable, so far there hasn't been a shootout or car chase (although there is a bit of sex, USA/AUS relations having hotted up) and any actual mayhem is observed from thousands of miles away via drones and satellites.

Still, there are various things going on, quietly, some of which may yet turn out to be deadly...
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Literally "House of Paper" - known in English by the somewhat unimaginative title "Money Heist". A complex, gripping, psychologically astute crime caper programme.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

To expand on my last post, "Money Heist" is about your classic band of rag-tag misfits who are recruited by a mysterious character "the Professor" to take over the Mint, with a number of hostages inside, including (of course) the teenage daughter of a politician. This is all set up and executed cleverly, and we get to see both sides - the life stories of various of the thieves, the head of the police team (who has her own problems, of course), a rather dorky secret service operative who never seems to actually do anything except diss everyone else, and the Professor, who appears to be trying to befriend the head policewoman when she's off duty in coffee bars, etc, then racing back to his secret lair (he's outside the Mint) to carry on with his voice-distorted instructions.

(There is also quite a bit of subtle humour, such as the robbers and hostages all wearing Salvadore Dali masks to hide their identities.)

One things that makes this superior is that despite all our anti-heroes toting automatics and semi-automatic artillery, as well as a machine gun nest that appears to have come straight ouf of WWI, while the police have snipers everywhere and there is apparently a ton of plastic explosive involved somehow, there is so far (episode 6) very little actual violence, and what there is, is far from glorified, but shown in all its messiness. (This immediately puts it several rungs about almost every US cops and robbers show or film I've seen in recent years, which continue to seem rather infantile by comparison with - well, with most things from most other countries, to be honest, apart from certain BBC productions I could name. The honourable exception on the US front being "Elementary", of course.)
iank

You'll never guess who popped up in an episode of US show Absentia the other day - Simon Rouse (DCI Meadows in The Bill)! WTF? I'd have thought the guy would be ready to retire by now, not be swanning off to the US! :)

(I don't watch it, by the way. I just happened to see him on it).
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Just finished TWO WEEKS TO LIVE. It was pretty good, but I think it went downhill a bit after the first couple of episodes. Also perhaps a bit too much gratuitous violence to sustain the comedy (a bit like Lynne Truss' "Constable Twitten" series, but at least that's side-splittingly funny).
StarQuake
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

LizR wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:09 pm
To expand on my last post, "Money Heist" is about your classic band of rag-tag misfits who are recruited by a mysterious character "the Professor" to take over the Mint, with a number of hostages inside, including (of course) the teenage daughter of a politician. This is all set up and executed cleverly, and we get to see both sides - the life stories of various of the thieves, the head of the police team (who has her own problems, of course), a rather dorky secret service operative who never seems to actually do anything except diss everyone else, and the Professor, who appears to be trying to befriend the head policewoman when she's off duty in coffee bars, etc, then racing back to his secret lair (he's outside the Mint) to carry on with his voice-distorted instructions.

(There is also quite a bit of subtle humour, such as the robbers and hostages all wearing Salvadore Dali masks to hide their identities.)

One things that makes this superior is that despite all our anti-heroes toting automatics and semi-automatic artillery, as well as a machine gun nest that appears to have come straight ouf of WWI, while the police have snipers everywhere and there is apparently a ton of plastic explosive involved somehow, there is so far (episode 6) very little actual violence, and what there is, is far from glorified, but shown in all its messiness. (This immediately puts it several rungs about almost every US cops and robbers show or film I've seen in recent years, which continue to seem rather infantile by comparison with - well, with most things from most other countries, to be honest, apart from certain BBC productions I could name. The honourable exception on the US front being "Elementary", of course.)
I've seen it, and it's compelling stuff. Some great actors in there, too - the guy who plays Berlin tends to steal the show. I didn't like the sequel quite as much (in fact I didn't quite finish it for one reason or the other), but it's still more than decent. And I agree that the English language title "Money Heist" is far too generic.

-------------------------------------------------
Mystery Road 2
I really enjoyed this. I saw the original Mystery Road film years ago, but didn't realise they had made a series. Anyway, good tough detective drama with some great scenery.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The first series ends with the mother of all cliffhangers. Can't wait to start the second.
Servorobot
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

You watch a lot of television Liz.

I’m continually amazed at all these shows you find to watch. I watch bugger all television, mainly because I can’t be bothered. Perhaps if some streaming service actually streamed what I wanted to watch I may be arsed. Britbox looks the best hope, but it doesn’t look as if we’re ever going to get it,

Imagine if your life changed and you had to watch Sky News all the time?

How crap would that be. :blowup:
iank

I watch a lot of television, but it's mainly older stuff. Person of Interest and Elementary are about the only two 'recent' shows I liked, both of which are now done. Everything else is between 15-57 years old! :lol:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

Servorobot
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

iank wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:00 am
I watch a lot of television, but it's mainly older stuff. Person of Interest and Elementary are about the only two 'recent' shows I liked, both of which are now done. Everything else is between 15-57 years old! :lol:
That’s the same as me. I do watch the occasional new show, but generally Netflix etc exists for the entertainment of the rest of my family.

The almost total lack of classic TV series on streaming services (in Australia at least) is a huge hole in their services IMO.

I first got Foxtel because he showed old shows like The Prisoner that I really wanted to see as well as Classic BBC productions like Colditz on UKTV, but that’s all gone now to be replaced by Reality sh*t, right wing news dross and the odd watchable documentary. At least there’s still the sport.

The popularity of TV stations like Talking Pictures in the UK surely proves there’s a market for this sort of thing, but sadly not in Australia. It’s a continual source of disappointment.
iank

Wicked Science: Verity from the Black Lagoon. Garth's constant teasing leads Verity to accidentally wreck one of Elizabeth's experiments, who throws her out in a fury - not knowing she's been infected with something that begins to rapidly rewrite her DNA... This is a really fun episode, a great little mini-monster movie, with Verity as the monster lol! It even manages to be a bit sweet with regards to the often weird Elizabeth/Verity friendship. As badly as Elizabeth often treats her, this episode makes it clear that Verity remains loyal to her not because Elizabeth is her only friend, but because she knows she's Elizabeth's only real friend, and that she needs her. And though she'd never say it - and probably doesn't even know how to - Elizabeth knows it too. Aww. :oops:

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

We normally settle down for an episode or two of something every night. Well, when my other half isn't playing scrabble against our daughter, Since she's gone to a party tonight I anticipate another 2 or 3 episode of Money Heist plus perhaps HIGNFY.
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Done all the but the last episode of Ratched on Netflix. Not entirely sure how good I think it is. Entertaining enough in it's own right, but seems a much more caricatured world compared to the actual film of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which it's supposed to form a prequel to. The cast are good (took me ages to tumble to recognising the guy who played the Kingpin in 'Flix's Daredevil series where he walked away with the acting honours but then he was bald in that!) along with the direction, and the music is really good. When it isn't in the STYLE of Bernard Herrmann it's actually tracking lumps of Vertigo and Cape Fear.

But the black humour and admittedly nice art direction seems more ott than what I remember from the Jack Nicholson film.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Just finished the second series of MONEY HEIST, boy was that good. My only caveats are, well, it was dubbed, so if you really don't like that ... plus it featured some people with the shooting ability of the Imperial stormtroopers (on both sides).

Otherwise, it was very, very good indeed. An intricate plot that makes "The Bridge" look straightforward - yet remained easy to follow, and all fell into place at the end - some very good characters, some very emotional scenes, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll shout at the TV ... but in a good way. Plus a clever subtext about the state of the world. Highly recommended.

(Oh, and a great soundtrack.)
StarQuake
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

LizR wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 am
Just finished the second series of MONEY HEIST, boy was that good. My only caveats are, well, it was dubbed, so if you really don't like that ... plus it featured some people with the shooting ability of the Imperial stormtroopers (on both sides).

Otherwise, it was very, very good indeed. An intricate plot that makes "The Bridge" look straightforward - yet remained easy to follow, and all fell into place at the end - some very good characters, some very emotional scenes, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll shout at the TV ... but in a good way. Plus a clever subtext about the state of the world. Highly recommended.

(Oh, and a great soundtrack.)
Oh dear god, you watched it dubbed? UK Netflix has the original soundtrack with English subtitles as the default, the way God and Nature intended.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

StarQuake wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:12 am
Oh dear god, you watched it dubbed? UK Netflix has the original soundtrack with English subtitles as the default, the way God and Nature intended.
Yes, first time I've seen a show dubbed for - well, forever. But it was so good that, actually, we didn't care.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Started up watching this:

The Caesars 1 6 Augustus, 1968

(^Kevin Stoney there.)

Return to “OTHER TV SHOWS & FILMS”

• Information