2 and a half men
The Millers
Come dine with me
Dallas
Carry on dick
4 in a bed
The Avengers (split)
Doctor who (mysterious planet)
I noticed ITV4 have been repeating The New Avengers recently.
tullamore1

Yep they sure have
War Machine

Recently, i went on a good trip through the old videos and watched a couple of Sweeney episodes (Patrick Troughton was a villain), The Nightmare Man and The Incredible Robert Baldick.

Good stuff! I wonder if I have any Onedin Line lying around...
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

I had the tele on yesterday and I watched Are you being served?, Minder and The Originals
Clan

I finally got around to checking out Survivors ('75 series). As recommended by a friend who also likes classic TV shows.

It was a great concept, and I was really into the first five or six episodes. Then the quality dropped like a ton of bricks once they found a place to live. I don't think I'll be watching series 2 and 3...
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Clan wrote:I finally got around to checking out Survivors ('75 series). As recommended by a friend who also likes classic TV shows.

It was a great concept, and I was really into the first five or six episodes. Then the quality dropped like a ton of bricks once they found a place to live. I don't think I'll be watching series 2 and 3...
I watched 'The Survivors' a few years ago and I'm glad I stuck with it through to the end. Admittedly the quality does dip somewhat but there were still some really good episodes here and there in series two & three('Lights of London', 'Parasites'-which starred Patrick Troughton- and 'Mad Dog' are among a few that spring to mind). :)
Clan

^ Maybe I'll pick at it or give it a go in future, for now I'm definitely done though!

As I say I think it started very strongly (Terry's episodes, has to be said), but once they got to the manor house it all became a bit too, dare I say, Good Life? And some of the character motivations and what they did in that situation boggled the mind! Terrible child actors too, I wasn't surprised at all by reading up on the show that it was classic nepotism at work with those two.

I just think it came off as a bit of a missed opportunity after such a strong start. My favourite episode was "Garland's War", and to be fair it has a cracking theme tune so it's not all doom and gloom. I'm glad I borrowed the DVD set from a mate, though, rather than taking a dip into my pocket and ordering off amazon :)
The Krynoid Man

I wàtched the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice, which I surprisingly enjoyed.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
iank

Watched an episode of the 80s crime drama Bulman this afternoon. I remember this from when I was a kid, and it's on DVD, but I didn't fancy paying for it when I haven't seen it for 26-28 years! Fortunately YT has literally one full episode on. Very good, I think I will get the DVDs now!

And I seem to remember even as a kid rather fancying the (very cute) Siobhan Redmond before I even knew what that was, if you know what I mean. I always did have impeccable taste. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

"Pie in the sky"
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Tractate Middoth directed by Mark Gatiss. Quite a fair effort.
The Krynoid Man

The Thick of It.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I thought I'd find out what all the fuss was about and finally watched 'Sherlock'(The Sign of Three) for the first time last night.

I shall probably tune in and watch the next episode just to see if I can get into it more but so far I'm wee bit underwhelmed by it.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

For me it was also "Sherlock" - "The Sign of Three"

!!! SPOILERS BELOW FOR SHERLOCK AND (the inevitable comparion) ELEMENTARY !!!

Also underwhelmed by the latest from Mofftiss. And also still finding that "Elementary", which looks rubbish on paper, is light years ahead - with well-drawn characters, a proper respect for the source material, and real stories, with crimes solved using the sort of methods Holmes has always used ... rather than a crime that seems tacked on, and gets solved without any noticeable mention of "my methods". The humour in "Sherlock" is also starting to grate a bit, with the ridiculous (and apparently only for a laff) opening sequence, the so-called stag night and so on. Only the wedding speech managed to be quite affecting, but even that isn't actually saying things that have been shown previously.

So while "Sherlock" continues to write pastiches using 'clever' variants on the titles of original ACD stories, "Elementary" continues to produce genuinely clever and original ideas, and when it homages the source material, to do so in a respectful way - like Holmes keeping Moriarty's letters in his rooftop beehive, or "Thor Bridge" being ingeniously woven into a complex and perhaps even darker tale.

The bottom line - "Thank god there's only one more Sherlock to go!" :roll: vs "Can't wait for the next Elementary!" :D
Allons-y

LizR wrote:For me it was also "Sherlock" - "The Sign of Three"

!!! SPOILERS BELOW FOR SHERLOCK AND (the inevitable comparion) ELEMENTARY !!!

Also underwhelmed by the latest from Mofftiss. And also still finding that "Elementary", which looks rubbish on paper, is light years ahead - with well-drawn characters, a proper respect for the source material, and real stories, with crimes solved using the sort of methods Holmes has always used ... rather than a crime that seems tacked on, and gets solved without any noticeable mention of "my methods". The humour in "Sherlock" is also starting to grate a bit, with the ridiculous (and apparently only for a laff) opening sequence, the so-called stag night and so on. Only the wedding speech managed to be quite affecting, but even that isn't actually saying things that have been shown previously.

So while "Sherlock" continues to write pastiches using 'clever' variants on the titles of original ACD stories, "Elementary" continues to produce genuinely clever and original ideas, and when it homages the source material, to do so in a respectful way - like Holmes keeping Moriarty's letters in his rooftop beehive, or "Thor Bridge" being ingeniously woven into a complex and perhaps even darker tale.

The bottom line - "Thank god there's only one more Sherlock to go!" :roll: vs "Can't wait for the next Elementary!" :D
Well you don't have to watch Sherlock
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Allons-y wrote:Well you don't have to watch Sherlock
A slightly crass remark, you do know people are allowed to make negative comments on stuff they've watched, don't you? I didn't expect that sort of comment from you. But anyway, since you seem to think I need an excuse, I feel duty bound to keep up with Moffat's work.
Allons-y

LizR wrote:
A slightly crass remark, you do know people are allowed to make negative comments on stuff they've watched, don't you? I didn't expect that sort of comment from you. But anyway, since you seem to think I need an excuse, I feel duty bound to keep up with Moffat's work.
I apologise, it was a bit crass. I do normally enjoy your comments, negative or otherwise, as they are normally very well reasoned and informative. I just find it odd that you would continue to watch a show you don't like, unless of course it's like Moffat's take on Who, where you do enjoy it, but recognise the room for improvement, which admittedly this may be also.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Allons-y wrote:
LizR wrote:
I apologise, it was a bit crass. I do normally enjoy your comments, negative or otherwise, as they are normally very well reasoned and informative. I just find it odd that you would continue to watch a show you don't like, unless of course it's like Moffat's take on Who, where you do enjoy it, but recognise the room for improvement, which admittedly this may be also.
OK, and thank you for the kind words. I am considering giving up on Sherlock, as I did on Broadchurch, but since it's only shown about 3 times every couple of years, and since I find it quite entertaining, and originally found it quite good, I will probably continue - but I have found there is a lot that could be improved, particularly in the latest series.

And the comparion with Elementary is inevitable, I'm afraid. They're both trying to do the same thing, after all...
Allons-y

LizR wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
LizR wrote: A slightly crass remark, you do know people are allowed to make negative comments on stuff they've watched, don't you? I didn't expect that sort of comment from you. But anyway, since you seem to think I need an excuse, I feel duty bound to keep up with Moffat's work.
OK, and thank you for the kind words. I am considering giving up on Sherlock, as I did on Broadchurch, but since it's only shown about 3 times every couple of years, and since I find it quite entertaining, and originally found it quite good, I will probably continue - but I have found there is a lot that could be improved, particularly in the latest series.

And the comparion with Elementary is inevitable, I'm afraid. They're both trying to do the same thing, after all...
They are, I appreciate that. :)
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

The Krynoid Man

I thought Sign of Three was rubbish, almost as bad as the Irine Adler one from the last series.

Return to “OTHER TV SHOWS & FILMS”

• Information