What's The Last TV Show You Watched?

Discussion of other programmes including vintage and rare TV and films
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The Krynoid man wrote:I thought Sign of Three was rubbish, almost as bad as the Irine Adler one from the last series.
I suggest you watch Elementary (but start from the beginning).
"[this story] dates from the period in which science fiction fans did not take themselves quite so seriously as nowadays, and those who made religion from an enthusiasm were generally mocked for it." -- Michael Moorcock, from the introduction to "Elric at the End of Time" (1983). Lucky that comment could never be applied to modern SF fans... :roll:

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Allons-y

LizR wrote:
The Krynoid man wrote:I thought Sign of Three was rubbish, almost as bad as the Irine Adler one from the last series.
A very good place to start?

I'll get my coat
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Allons-y wrote:
LizR wrote:
A very good place to start?

I'll get my coat
D'oh!

....a deer...

I'll get my alpenhorn.
"[this story] dates from the period in which science fiction fans did not take themselves quite so seriously as nowadays, and those who made religion from an enthusiasm were generally mocked for it." -- Michael Moorcock, from the introduction to "Elric at the End of Time" (1983). Lucky that comment could never be applied to modern SF fans... :roll:

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Kajaboy

After Henry. I got the complete collection ages ago but only just got around to watching it. Just got as far as the last episode of series 1. It's a bit twee but Joan Sanderson is very funny.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

So I finally finished watching the DVD boxset of the 1977 BBC series Supernatural that I had got for a christmas present.

I found the series on the whole to be a bit dull and mostly disappointing, with only Countess Ilona, The Werewolf Reunion, Night of the Marionettes, and Dorabella, of the eight episodes in this series actually being watchable.
tony ingram

Currently doing a DVD marathon of Star Trek TOS. I watched the second season episodes Catspaw and Metamorphosis yesterday, and was struck once again by how illogical some of Kirk's command decisions are.

On arriving in orbit around an unknown planet full of potential hazards, Kirk sends down a three man landing party from his crew of 400, which coincidentally includes the helsman and the chief engineer, the two people without whom the ship is going nowhere. When they fail to return and the third man turns up dead, and Kirk himself receives a dire warning about the planet, his immediate response is to send down another three man landing party to see what's up-and this time, his choices from that 400 strong crew are himself (the Captain, don't forget), his first officer, and the ship's chief medical officer. Meaning that all of the ship's key personnel are now down on a hostile alien world facing imminent death while their ship and its crew are stuck up in orbit under the nominal command of the Russian kid and the girl who answers the phones.

Who promoted this idiot?
Kajaboy

Kajaboy wrote:After Henry. I got the complete collection ages ago but only just got around to watching it. Just got as far as the last episode of series 1. It's a bit twee but Joan Sanderson is very funny.
Finished this a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it a lot. It wasn't lough out loud funny very often but it is a bit of a forgotten gem. What I found quite nice was the character Russel. He's gay but it's not done in a "Look we have a gay guy" way. He's just there. His partner is mentioned many times and it's indicated they have been together for many years but no one says the word "gay" until halfway into series 3. It doesn't get mentioned again until the end of the 4th, and sadly final, series. I never heard the radio version, I don't think it's had a commercial release, so I have no idea how they played the gay aspect in that but the TV version has it just right. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean we have to be told as much every time they appear on screen.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

"The Bridge", series 2 (the Swedish/Danish version - I don't suppose the American remake is anything like as good, just as the UK remake of Wallander wasn't as good as the original).

This is just so good. About my only criticism is that the stories tend to be over-complicated almost to the point of insanity, with twist piled upon twist and a "Spooks"-like disregard for whether the audience might have come to like a particular character and a Zen-like disregard for what we might be expecting to happen next that makes Agatha Christie seem pedestrian. (But then they are designed to be viewed one per week over 10 weeks, not 3 per evening as we managed. This is a problem common to classic Dr Who being watched from a modern perspective, of course.)

Extremely recommended. Very few shows have you laughing out loud despite the latest gruesome murder.

iank

There isn't an American remake - it's British/French called The Tunnel. And it's excellent, just finished it this weekend, actually. Cracking stuff, really hoping for a second series. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

iank wrote:There isn't an American remake - it's British/French called The Tunnel. And it's excellent, just finished it this weekend, actually. Cracking stuff, really hoping for a second series. :D
I only mentioned the US version to disambiguate, because it has the same name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge ... TV_series)

I haven't seen the UK/French version, but if it's based on the Swedish/Danish original (as from Wikipedia it clearly is) then I would hope it is at least good... the UK "Wallander" with Kenneth Branagh was very good, it just wasn't a patch on the Swedish original... but I have my doubts the Americans can handle this sort of thing, it's just too much in the real world for a country that has thrived on fantasy for the last century. But who knows, they menaged with "Elementary" (now only my second favourite Aspergic TV cop)... Although even "Elementary" seems lightweight and formulaic after watching "The Bridge", and Holmes seems almost like a regular person after Saga Noren, who must surely be the 21st century's Mr Spock!

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I watched 'The Musketeers' on telly last night mainly because Peter Capaldi was in it. It looked suitably lavish and kept me entertained but I did get that feeling I'd seen this type of series countless times before.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The Ginger Cat wrote:I watched 'The Musketeers' on telly last night mainly because Peter Capaldi was in it. It looked suitably lavish and kept me entertained but I did get that feeling I'd seen this type of series countless times before.
I think I'll stick with the original.

tony ingram

Last nights new episode of Murdoch Mysteries. Always entertaining.
frontios

The Life of Rock with Brian Pern was very funny last night, and the LSD sequence should raise a laugh from posters here (around 7 minutes 30 seconds in) http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b03v0svc/
glowingeyes

Great to see the musical genius of Mulligan & O'Hare again :D

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I've been catching up with 'Star Trek: Enterprise' currently being reshown daily on the Freeview Tv station 'Pick'.

I really enjoyed the episodes 'In a Mirror, Darkly', parts one and two, but the rest of the series has been a bit hit and miss though.
iank

Started the Swedish SF series Real Humans last night, which is absolutely excellent if the first episode is anything to go by. In the near future, humanoid robots are becoming an accepted part of society, used as factory workers, housekeepers, caregivers and, of course, sexbots! Some people are developing real relationships with and feelings for those "HuBots", while others are becoming increasingly resentful and even paranoid of them. And some of the HuBots are starting to develop beyond their original programming... I hope the rest of the series lives up to the first episode, because that was superb, fascinating, gripping and darkly comic in equal measure. First class. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Allons-y

Chuck, really good.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I watched the BBC's 'Quatermass And The Pit' on Dvd. Totally enthralling.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

"The Moonstone" made in 1996 based on the Wilkie Collins novel from 1868 - the first detective story written in English, apparently, but damn good - with a whole load of twists and turns, yet making complete sense by the end.

Return to “OTHER TV SHOWS & FILMS”

• Information