What's The Last TV Show You Watched?

Discussion of other programmes including vintage and rare TV and films
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

LizR wrote:"The Moonstone" made in 1996 based on the Wilkie Collins novel from 1868 - the first detective story written in English, apparently, but damn good - with a whole load of twists and turns, yet making complete sense by the end.
Ooh I haven't seen that one yet but about two years ago I saw the 1972 BBC version of "The Moonstone" that starred Robin Ellis ("Poldark"),Vivien Heilbron,Basil Dignam and Martin Jarvis amongst others.

A tad 'stagey' in places,but very atmospheric and captivating. I really enjoyed it. It's well worth a watch. :)

All five episodes have been put up on Youtube if you're interested.

chap with wings

Moone Boy
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
The Krynoid Man

The New Statesman.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
Allons-y

Endeavour
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Endeavour, and it's a cracker (if you'll pardon a detective show related pun).
"[this story] dates from the period in which science fiction fans did not take themselves quite so seriously as nowadays, and those who made religion from an enthusiasm were generally mocked for it." -- Michael Moorcock, from the introduction to "Elric at the End of Time" (1983). Lucky that comment could never be applied to modern SF fans... :roll:

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Allons-y

It is indeed!
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
LollipopOpera

Just finished watching Wentworth Prison - the updated version of classic Aussie soap Prisoner: Cell Block H. Absolutely brilliant, although the new Bea Smith is a bit wet.
We come from chaos, you cannot change us
Cannot explain us and that's what makes us
iank

Jonathan Creek: The Judas Tree. Jonathan and Joey investigate a series of bizarre events that culminate in a woman they are convinced is innocent being arrested for murder - but even Jonathan is at a loss to explain a frame-up so perfect that the victim actually identified the innocent woman as her killer before she dies... This 2010 special came in for something of a kicking four years back. I didn't quite get why - maybe not one of the absolute classics, but still pretty good - and that criticism looks all the more misplaced following the disastrously awful recent season. I thoroughly enjoyed it this afternoon, perhaps all the more as its unintended status as possibly the last proper/decent episode we're likely to get unless something drastic happens after the recent complete castration of both the series and its lead character. I look forward to the next James Bond film following in Renwick's footsteps, with Bond married and retired and engaged in a deadly battle with his new noisy neighbours. :mrgreen:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Tanlee
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

South Riding (2011).

Not quite as god as the classic 1974 version, a bit too rushed in places, but Anna Maxwell Martin and David Morrissey are superb and the ending really tore me up. Very faithful to what made the novel a classic (and as close to populist feminism as I'm prepared to entertain).
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I tried to catch up with the re-imagined 'Battlestar Galactica' that was being repeated on Pick Tv. Unfortunately I found it rather dull and it bored me silly,so I've given up on it now. I much preferred the original series with Lorne Greene which was much more fun and campy.
iank

It seems sometimes that dull and boring is the new black for TV shows.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

"Vera".
"[this story] dates from the period in which science fiction fans did not take themselves quite so seriously as nowadays, and those who made religion from an enthusiasm were generally mocked for it." -- Michael Moorcock, from the introduction to "Elric at the End of Time" (1983). Lucky that comment could never be applied to modern SF fans... :roll:

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
iank

Started The New Avengers the other day. I've seen one before in the mid 90s, when all I'd seen were some of the Emma episodes, and I didn't really like it. I guess it was just too different to what I was expecting. Having also started on the Tara and the pre-Emma eps (and enjoying both so far) now, I thought I'd give The New Avengers another spin, and I certainly enjoyed the first one. :D

The Krynoid Man

I've been watching the short lived 70's sitcom Tick as Thieves starring Bob Hoskins and John Thaw. It's sort of like a southern version of Whatever Happened to the Likley Lads (mostly brcause it's the same writers). It's a shame it didn't last longer as it's actually pretty funny.
I also watched the complete series of The IT Crowd over the weekend (thanks 4OD).
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Inspector Morse.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Caught some of "Sinbad"(2012) on the Pick TV channel the other night. It wasn't too bad. Watchable.
Kajaboy

Network have got a big British Comedy sale on at the moment so I am watching "Watching". The last great ITV sitcom about a couple of bird watchers. Still as funny as I remember and deserves to be on endless repeats on G.O.L.D. and ITV2.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
The Nimon

Monty Python Live (mostly) great to see the team in action one last time. Looking forward to the dvd in November
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

tony ingram wrote:Currently doing a DVD marathon of Star Trek TOS. I watched the second season episodes Catspaw and Metamorphosis yesterday, and was struck once again by how illogical some of Kirk's command decisions are.

On arriving in orbit around an unknown planet full of potential hazards, Kirk sends down a three man landing party from his crew of 400, which coincidentally includes the helsman and the chief engineer, the two people without whom the ship is going nowhere. When they fail to return and the third man turns up dead, and Kirk himself receives a dire warning about the planet, his immediate response is to send down another three man landing party to see what's up-and this time, his choices from that 400 strong crew are himself (the Captain, don't forget), his first officer, and the ship's chief medical officer. Meaning that all of the ship's key personnel are now down on a hostile alien world facing imminent death while their ship and its crew are stuck up in orbit under the nominal command of the Russian kid and the girl who answers the phones.

Who promoted this idiot?
He works on the assumption that only the guys with red shirts will be killed (except for Scotty).

iank

He knew it was time to send the real men in. :D

Return to “OTHER TV SHOWS & FILMS”

• Information