Favourite Dalek and why

Section for your polls, Doctor Who related and general.

Favourite Dalek and why

15 Dead Planet
6%
14 Dalek Invasion of Earth
3%
13 Evil of the Daleks
21%
12 Planet (gold)
No votes
11 Planet (grey)
6%
10 Genesis
15%
9 Resurrection
6%
8 Revelation (white/gold)
No votes
7 Remembrance (white/gold)
9%
6 Remembrance (special weapons)
3%
5 New Series (bronze)
15%
4 New Series (black)
3%
3 New Series (red/gold)
No votes
2 New series (latest)
3%
1 Other
9%

Total votes: 33
Deleted User 3134

Mike,

If you look at pictures of the toy versions of the new Daleks they look almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Some might say that this proves the toys are really good – others, myself included, would point out that this proves that the full size props look like toys.

Many years ago I worked, ever so briefly, with Richard Gregory [Earthshock Cybermen etc]. I learnt a lot from him and certainly enough to know how to make fibreglass look solid on screen – and a dab of pigment in the gel coat ain’t always enough.

I was also lucky enough to meet Jack Lovell [Moonbase Cybermen, Ice Warriors etc] and he told me that when he made the Batmobile [for the 1989 movie] it was spray painted black – over black fibreglass – to give it the depth of sheen and visual solidity required.

For a test – take a look at a car with unpainted fibreglass body panels and compare it with one that’s been spray finished. And yet the team of numpties behind the new Daleks not only designed them to look naff, they then build them to match.

Mind you, they do match cheap injection moulded plastic toys pretty darn closely. Result!

King Womble
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

King Womble wrote:
LizR wrote:
King Womble wrote:Break them up or melt them down – up or down, I don’t mind which.
:floorroll:
It's a quote from Power of the Daleks
I know. That's why I found it so funny. It's one of my (many) favourite Who quotes.
"[this story] dates from the period in which science fiction fans did not take themselves quite so seriously as nowadays, and those who made religion from an enthusiasm were generally mocked for it." -- Michael Moorcock, from the introduction to "Elric at the End of Time" (1983). Lucky that comment could never be applied to modern SF fans... :roll:

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Deleted User 3134

LizR wrote:
King Womble wrote:
LizR wrote:
King Womble wrote:Break them up or melt them down – up or down, I don’t mind which.
:floorroll:
It's a quote from Power of the Daleks
I know. That's why I found it so funny. It's one of my (many) favourite Who quotes.
Sorry, I should have known... D'oh! :oops:
moviedalek

monkey101 wrote:White and Gold Remembrance. Mainly cause they looked so new
Apart from some dummy Daleks knocked up in the 70's I think the white and gold Remembrance ones were the first brand new made for tv Daleks since the 60's. They looked great and I thought the special weapons Dalek was fantastic.

My favourite Daleks are the blue and yellow ones from the first Peter Cushing movie.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Red Daleks, for some reason.

Movie Daleks, toy Daleks - I don't care.

So long as they're red.....

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Red Daleks have a long history of being superior....or at least thinking they are....

"[this story] dates from the period in which science fiction fans did not take themselves quite so seriously as nowadays, and those who made religion from an enthusiasm were generally mocked for it." -- Michael Moorcock, from the introduction to "Elric at the End of Time" (1983). Lucky that comment could never be applied to modern SF fans... :roll:

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Dave Ross wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 am
Even though the buggers turned on me the Genesis Daleks are still my favourites.
:lol:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Cygnus Prime wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 am
Red Daleks, for some reason.

Movie Daleks, toy Daleks - I don't care.

So long as they're red.....

I had a red Palitoy Talking Dalek such as that as a kid. What's left of it resides up in me mum's loft (the eyestalk, sucker arm, gun arm and innards all gone I'm afraid)
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

These type:

Yeah, the Genesis Daleks are me favourites. Just like that gun-metal grey look, very militaristic, war machine quality to it.

Return to “POLLS SECTION”

• Information